Need Seiko 7S26A Balance Cock - And Question

jdm

My struggle with the escapement continues. Got a brand new balance complete, struggled to install it, then the movement did't run dial up.

Found that the regulator curb pin is broken - a bad move of myself likely.

Does anyone have one laying? Will pay postage of course.

And the questions - what is the proper way to hold the balance cock when installing the balance? What is the tool of choice to rotate the outer pin in order to close "cage" ?

post-1542-0-32269700-1454012465.jpg

I used a screwdriver of the right size to close or sometimes my tweezers if it wasn't to tight.

What is the proper way to hold the balance cock when installing the balance?

I would just lay it down as shown in your picture and attach it first making sure it was the correct side of the regulator pin, then make sure its in line with the hole and insert, tighten the small screw a little set it into the movement making sure the h/s is nicely in line, tighten the small screw, close the regulator cage? as you call it. Now you are ready to carry on with what you want to do next.

Cousins sells selection packs of curb pins, or you can make your own from brass wire. The old one should push out from the broken side.

Staking in a new one is a little fiddly as it's difficult to support the regulator between the boot and the curb pin. Probably best to make a small anvil with two holes close together, but I have done this job with a regular staking set - you just can't hit the stake too hard or you'll bend the regulator. Don't trim the pin to length until it is firmly staked in. The trimming can be done with nail clippers if you don't have anything else.

These fiddly jobs are worth the effort as they are both charcter building and good dexterity exercises!

S