Aldi Brand Watches (Kripple Co. "ascot" And "sempre")

Hi all,

I'd like some input as to the quality of the watches sold by Aldi and supplied to them by a German company called Kripple Co.  The brands are, variously, ASCOT or SEMPRE.

Every few months Aldi sells a bunch of watches via its catalogue specials.  Some are low price quartz and others are automatic movements with various complications in the dial.

Any opinions as to the quality of the watches and longevity of same?  I know they are a "supermarket special" but I'd like to know if they represent value for money.   (I have been asked about them by a good friend)

You can see some of the watches at the Kripple website:

http://www.krippl-watches.com/en/

Perhaps some UK / EU members can enlighten us more, seeing that Aldi supermarkets are all over the place there.

As I wrote in the OP... Aldi has a special marketing tool that they use.  Twice a week they have a special catalogue (flyer- in the US) in which they list electronics, footwear, gardening tools...whatever.  They usually focus on a theme.  So one week they may have computer stuff...the next they might have cheaply-priced tvs.  About twice a year they have a sale that involves watches.  One of the sales concentrates on inexpensive quartz "fashion" watches and the other on more costly automatics and such.

I have one Aldi watch in my collection... an automatic "Ascot" brand watch that has been working well for the three years I've had it.  I could advise my friend on this experience alone but I hope that others here might chime in with their opinions as well.

Hi stroppy,

As a collector, there is a point where all watches become "valuable" and "good"...my own experience, since I want them all! The truth is, no matter the "pedigree" of a watch, if it makes you tick -- pardon the pun -- you should get it -- if at all possible -- since the satisfaction of the watch lover is fulfilled that way.

On the other hand, if you want a "true" watch -- considering we have cells and other gadgets that tell time -- you should focus on history and quality of the brand. Example: an Omega watch, no matter how cheap the components inside, it will never be even comparable (as of today), with and Aldi watch no matter how much care it has been put into the building of the later. Omega being better of course. Then, some exceptions exist to make our life more difficult but this type of example, IMHO, is the general rule.

There is some more to the above: SEARS used to sell some stuff. Among them there were cheap pocket watches. Those watches were mechanical (ETA 6498 movement inside). They can still be gotten cheapish and they are the original UNITAS built. Nevertheless, nowadays it is, for most of us hobbyists and even watchmakers, a heaven of quality stuff...some 50+ years later! And what is best, newer ETA 6498-2 interchange, successfully, most parts with them. That said, I doubt there will be any quartz watch worth the trouble as we usually go about restoring mechanical movements like those. The beauty of quartz is that in most cheap watches -- and not so cheap ones -- we just change the movement when it breaks (if available), substitute the movement for a "compatible" one or simply thrash and buy new. One more reason to go the time honored -- and quality -- way.

Also, about Aldi, we had them in the mid west -- maybe still do, it's been a long time -- here in Miami, they are not in my area so I wouldn't be able to have an opinion of their products...back then, in my home town, I never saw watches in their flyers...I don't even remember the flyers! But, I believe as a rule of thumb that quality and "expensive" workmanship (without the price tag), is something of the past (SEARS example, back then, it was cheap, now it is quality) and the more time goes by, more poor quality and run-of-the-mill products will make their way into our everyday life...the quality, reliability and durability are being dissolved in time! IMHO.

I hope my opinion is not too far from the truth and if so, will be an eye opener to the watch lover/collector as far as what to wear on their wrist. Bottom line: if you like it, get it no matter the procedence but if you are picky about it, get whatever quality/good name is still being made...before it all becomes cheap garbage with inflated price tag!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 28 January 2016 at 2:41 PM, stroppy said:

Perhaps some UK / EU members can enlighten us more, seeing that Aldi supermarkets are all over the place there.

As I wrote in the OP... Aldi has a special marketing tool that they use.  Twice a week they have a special catalogue (flyer- in the US) in which they list electronics, footwear, gardening tools...whatever.  They usually focus on a theme.  So one week they may have computer stuff...the next they might have cheaply-priced tvs.  About twice a year they have a sale that involves watches.  One of the sales concentrates on inexpensive quartz "fashion" watches and the other on more costly automatics and such.

I have one Aldi watch in my collection... an automatic "Ascot" brand watch that has been working well for the three years I've had it.  I could advise my friend on this experience alone but I hope that others here might chime in with their opinions as well.

Hi living in the UK I have had experience of the ALDI Sempre brand 

In my opinion the quality of both the automatic (£25)  and the quartz chronograph watches (£15) are equivalent if not better than the middle range watch brands; In the UK the watches carry an ALDI 3 year warranty whereas most watches sold here only have a 1 year warranty

14 minutes ago, dillm said:

In my opinion the quality of both the automatic (£25)  and the quartz chronograph watches (£15) are equivalent if not better than the middle range watch brands; In the UK the watches carry an ALDI 3 year warranty whereas most watches sold here only have a 1 year warranty

Not sure what do you mean with "better than middle range watch brands" but the fact that they can give 3 yrs warranty it's because is so cheap  that no matter how many replacements they give, they can still make a profit.

On 6/14/2016 at 2:47 PM, jdm said:

I don't know but I'm puzzled by the small red hand, what it pretends to be for?

And i've spared you all the skeletons!

I have one, it works fine after I put the screw for the rotor back in. Never did figure out what the red hand is for :-)

On 15/06/2016 at 5:01 AM, jdm said:

Automatic $15

Mechanical-Watch-Skeleton-Automatic-Self

I have the exact same watch (but with a silver dial).  The little red hand is driven by the second hand and is purely for decoration to make the watch look complicated and busy.  As regards quality; the "Winner" watches are okay.  They keep reasonable time and have a decent finish to them.  Not bad considering their cheap purchase price.  I believe their movements are iterations of the venerable Tong Ji SCM Chinese movement.

Back OT. The Aldi watches are not the "supermarket rejects" that one might suppose.  The mechanical automatics often use Swiss movements, I'm told and the Quartz watches use either Miyota or Seikosha movements.  One thing about them is that if the case is marked as "stainless steel" then it is exactly that and usually well-finished.  I would rate Aldi's watches as being at the same level as the cheaper lines that large well-regarded watch companies produce.

P.S.  Sorry I have not been around much of late.  My own vascular movement decided to give up the ghost, almost terminating me (fortunately there were people around when it happened otherwise I'd be on a slab right now, or worse!).  I am recovering but it's taking time.

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

stroppy, sorry to hear you've not been well. You take care and good luck to you.

Many thanks, my friend.  I used to be very easy-going about my health but after this experience I've decided I like breathing!:D

Good to see you back and on the mend stroppy. I Know what you mean life seems to take on a whole new meaning and purpose my whole outlook to life changed after my stroke. Take time to recover and be well my friend.

3 hours ago, Cad101 said:

Good to see you back and on the mend stroppy. I Know what you mean life seems to take on a whole new meaning and purpose my whole outlook to life changed after my stroke. Take time to recover and be well my friend.

Thanks mate.