Any High End Watchmakers Willing To Authenticate An Ap.

Hi Steven,

The movement underneath reminds me of a copy of an ETA 2824 or its derivatives. I'm not saying it is, but there are two directions I'd explore:

1. compare the stem with one from an ETA of that type

2. If convenient to your location, check ofrei, the mechanical movements section has a Chinese/Asian entry and at the end a whole bunch of Chinese stems...I bought one of each once and that's how I compare when the movement can't be identifiable.

I'm not that much experienced in those watches but at least I'm able to suggest something. I hope it is useful.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

They have excellent reproductions of all high end watches...and even within reproductions there are low, medium, and ultra high quality 1:1 copies. I have seen them, and it would be very difficult to determine authenticity from a visual inspection--sometimes the lack of "heft" may be a flag, but one has to be very experienced with the make and model to perceive a difference in weight. A genuine 20,000 to 30,000 watch is not going to be offered for 1,000 or 2,000 bucks--even in Brooklyn.

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

I've studied the pictures of what is considered the best counterfeiting watch around, which not surprisingly is a copy of the most sold Rolex model, by a well determined source of which I've forgot the common name.

The movement is replicated in full detail, but even without taking it out of the case it's perfectly possible to tell it's fake. There are hints on the dial, case, crown and bracelet as well. Comparing the pictures I was able to spot other differences that weren't even mentioned by the experts commenting on the subject.

It is not that difficult once you develop the eye. Even in subtle details there are remarkable shapes and looks that just stick to our mind to be the "right" ones. That looking at pictures only. I don't think that anyone serious on the matter can still be fooled having the actual object in hand, even if the only available comparison are Internet pictures.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...