Any High End Watchmakers Willing To Authenticate An Ap.

Hello guys,

Me and my buddy are confused. He bought an AP with box and documents

He went to the AD point and the claimed it is Gen. But on several forums 'experts' claim its a rep. So know im more confused. So i was think who knows better then a watchmaker of high end AP watches.

I hope to find one here. Otherwise he has to sent the watch to the fabric to know for sure.

Sorry for the crappy pictures they are all i have atm.

Thanks at advance guys.

f4eb2d0425b46402f1dcfc47b3cde736.jpg

05344f21e2a3783a77b3173da78051d8.jpg

1df083b7685fdabb5c692417eb1b3f39.jpg

Send from outer space

I'm no expert or enthusiast of expensive watches but at times I like to read threads on authenticity, most are instructive but some are hilarious when the occasional "expert" climbing on mirrors to not admit to have been wrong.

It could be that your friend's watch fall into these, If you post the link I'd like to know why are they are saying it's fake.

Help needed. Rep or Gen AP safari 2

https://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=286997

Too bad that forum requires subscription.

There is alot of expertise on that forum. I dont want kick anyone to the legs. Because they are very helpfull. They opened My eyes now My friends eyes have to open and he have to go for a refund.

Don't worry, it's not in the style of people here to be flaming.. even if cross-forum. I hope your friend will get his money back. Edited by jdm

I've not seen replica AP with the original looking movement.

At first the movement looks well done, but...

Holes for the four stones on bridge left of balance are not bevelled.

Same for the two screw siding first auto winding wheel (gold)

Balance anti-shock should be a sophisticated hinged affair, not some sort of Novodiac

Figures on the rotor weight are kind of.. goofy.

Fantastic picture here which I'm not posting as it surely copyrighted.

http://professionalwatches.com/upload/2014/01/audemars_piguet_ceramic_diver_/Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Offshore-Ceramic-Diver-caliber-3120.jpg

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

Thank you for confirming my suspicions JDM. Genuine ones are more than just a little bit expensive and tend to be looked after very well indeed. This one looks like it has been worn every day by a motor mechanic going by the damage to the case.

Wow!  Good spotting, guys.  I was offered a big brand name watch "cheap" at a secondhand shop some years ago now.  I looked at the dial and something rang out "FAKE".  So I said I'd think about it and went home and Googled some images of the real McCoy.  The offered watch was as fake as a US three dollar bill!  So I went back to the shop and scolded the owner for representing it as genuine.  He was pretty off hand about the whole affair and told me to "P___ off!"  So I left the shop in a huff and rang the company's representatives over here who said they'd investigate.  Some time later I noticed the shop had been shuttered and had a "for sale" sign on it.  Justice is sweet!

• Like 1

So happened to receive this watch with a broken stem today. Just want to show how to remove the dummy top plate to access the movement under it.

post-1248-14540601310204.jpg

post-1248-14540601790632.jpg

Remove this center plate by unscrewing the two screws.

post-1248-14540603713678.jpg

Unscrew the three screws to remove the automatic rotor.

post-1248-14540604676482.jpg

The dummy top plate is secured to the movement ring by three screws and the movement by two screws. The positions of the five screws are as aligned in the pic. All the others are dummy screws.

post-1248-14540609232153.jpg

Underside of the dummy plate.

post-1248-14540609677313.jpg

The movement exposed but I have no idea which Chinese movement it is yet. There's a "ZE" mark near the balance wheel.

post-1248-14540614142984.jpg

Now have to source for a new stem. Don't know where to find one yet. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Lenovo S650 using Tapatalk

Edited by steven
  • Like 3

Wow. Just...wow. I joined the rwi forum because the level of technical info available there is amazing. And I thought I've learned a lot already to identify replicas from genuine watches. And then...

When I saw the pictures of the op, I thought the movement is genuine. Then I see these pictures of a disassembled movement.

A dummy plate! Seriously?!

Edited by joelcarvajal

Wow. Just...wow. I joined the rwi forum because the level of technical info available there is amazing. And I thought I've learned a lot already to identify replicas from genuine watches. And then...

When I saw the pictures of the op, I thought the movement is genuine. Then I see these pictures of a disassembled movement.

A dummy plate! Seriously?!

The one in OP pictures is not the same as steven's.

I'm sorry for implying that the watch depicted in the op's picture is the same as the disassembled one and that it can be concluded that it is indeed a replica.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... I can't tell from the pictures along. :-)

Not long ago, it is easy to identify a replica. Recently, however, replica makers and modders have gotten so good at it that the only way to be certain is to do a side-by-side comparison or by having a look at its movement - a task made easier my exhibition case backs.

Now, i realized, with Steven's pictures, that they can now make movements look close to an authentic when seen through a case back.