So What Happens Next

I've got about 10 watches to fix that  all require tools and or parts, so I've been trying to sell the watches that are fixed already to gather funds for tools and parts. Nothing of real interest and rather low end (Fossil quartz, Invicta quartz and autos, a few Croton autos)  in many of the case they go for peanuts on "the bay" but I have been frustrated with the buyer not paying.  I've opened 4 cases in the last few months for people not paying $20-40 for the watch they bid on and won.

The question I have for you guys is where do you sell the watches you fix?

I've tried Craigslist (met some real scary people)

I've tried the online marketplace where I work but students at the University seems uninterested

I've tried Pawn shops and they offer me $3 for the same watch I can get $20 on "the bay" if the person pays

Where am I missing?  I'm hoping this is just a funk or something.

Here is the latest and most expensive example $70 auction won for a stainless Croton on their presidential band.  It was a non-runner but after a strip/clean/oil it's running +/-3 a day.  No payment or communication on his end for 5 days, I sent two reminders and finally opened a case against him (business day 5).  

Day 9, I left feedback "no- payment or communication 8 days after close".  

It was not more that 1 hour later- "Hey there you did not have to leave that kind of hateful feedback, I was going to pay for the item this Thursday. Can you please relist the item, I was waiting for my funds to clear from a case on paypal. I m so sorry I did not respond in a timely manner. Please message me back when you receive this message, thanks"

Ebay is pretty fair with both buyers and sellers who don't do the right thing.  They will ban people who don't pay up.  Yes...they can then go on and open a new account but (I think) Ebay records their IP number these days so they can't just jump back on.

In any case, I hate this sort of flim flam.  If you bid for something and win it you should buy it.  And if you are a seller you should do your utmost to make sure that the buyer gets their goods as described.

• Like 1

Ebay is pretty fair with both buyers and sellers who don't do the right thing.  They will ban people who don't pay up.  Yes...they can then go on and open a new account but (I think) Ebay records their IP number these days so they can't just jump back on.

It takes many, many unpaid items to get an Ebay account closed. Ebay just as anybody else can't record IPs for the purpose of banning, because these are assigned dynamically, and even if they weren't, that would prevent access from anyone in the same household or working place.

I think the OP's problem is with the kind of watches which he's selling. Low value quartz are really of little interest to pretty much anyone, perhaps one buys in an impulse and then the next day decides that he doesn't need another insignificant watch.

The games changes dramatically with mechanical watches and brand watches. These are sought by enthusiasts which are much more serious about it, and honest in almost 100% of the cases.

I do a little trading of Seiko mechanical watches, and I don't have a problem whatsoever selling no matter the channel. Just today I've sold 2 easily.

• Like 1

you must be just a bit unlucky since i started this hobby i must have sold in excess of 100 items on ebay with very little problem, from non runners i couldn't fix, quartz store return job lots and watches that i have repaired some go for more than expected some for less but it evens our in the end, the ones i have most difficulty selling are small ladies i only repair these now lf they dont cost me anything, look at your ebay settings and adjust the filters so anyone with negative feedback or below a certain score cant bid but carry on i find its a good cheap way to sell things even if its not perfect, steve

• Like 2

you must be just a bit unlucky since i started this hobby i must have sold in excess of 100 items on ebay with very little problem, from non runners i couldn't fix, quartz store return job lots and watches that i have repaired some go for more than expected some for less but it evens our in the end, the ones i have most difficulty selling are small ladies i only repair these now lf they dont cost me anything, look at your ebay settings and adjust the filters so anyone with negative feedback or below a certain score cant bid but carry on i find its a good cheap way to sell things even if its not perfect, steve

Thank you,  I'll have to dig around the settings for that.

Dan B.

i have never been a nonpayer on ebay. even if i'm overextended for a couple of bids i won at the same time, i always pay - even  if it hurts. i often will contact the seller and explain the situation and they're very understanding. only one has demanded payment.

my only cure for the ills of selling on ebay is: i don't sell anything. i need the cash at times, but i just won't go through the hassle.

i really wish we had a forum to sell on this forum. i have bought from the SCWF a number of times and have been very satisfied. most members of a forum won't burn fellow members. the shame factor is too great.

that having been said, i don't have an answer for the ills of ebay. it sucks that a few will ruin it for the masses.