Good Chronograph To Learn Overhaul?

Hi JC,

I don't want to "stir" you in the wrong direction but considering you have experience and there is/are walkthroughs available ( I believe Lawson made one here and our Mark has some pointers and videos on those), I would recommend the ETA 7750...that would be the mother of them all I think. (mind I don't know it well...or the father for that matter :) )

Cheers,

Bob

Hi JC,

I don't want to "stir" you in the wrong direction but considering you have experience and there is/are walkthroughs available ( I believe Lawson made one here and our Mark has some pointers and videos on those), I would recommend the ETA 7750...that would be the mother of them all I think. (mind I don't know it well...or the father for that matter :) )

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks Bob! I've been looking at that one, but the prices are somewhat steep. I'll keep looking for complete anything by Valjoux, but will also keep an eye out for Landeron. Seiko is also in the running, but the following is so strong, it buoys the prices. Thanks again for the feedback.

J

Whatever you choose, get one that's working properly in the first place.

Faults in chronographs are very hard to diagnose, even for a pro.

I would actually recommend a Seiko 6139, they're well made and priced reasonable (for a chrono!).

Anil

• Like 3

Try this site, get a brand new Seagull Chrono mvt for US$132.00, cheaper than buying a clapped out chrono on eBay, for about $200 you can get a complete watch and it looks good. as has been said better to learn on a working movement and this one won't break the bank.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seagull-TY2903-ST1903-mechanical-chronograph-movement-/271925441406?hash=item3f5004f37e

Max

• Like 1

Whatever you choose, get one that's working properly in the first place.

Faults in chronographs are very hard to diagnose, even for a pro.

I would actually recommend a Seiko 6139, they're well made and priced reasonable (for a chrono!).

Anil

Totally agree Anil, I made this mistake the first time by purchasing a broken Landeron 48. I did learn a lot and managed to get it going...............eventually!

Agree on the Seagull Chrono movement. I have an ED1963 replica coming from Hong Kong that was $230 plus shipping. It has ST1901 movement. I'm seeing ST1903's from Hong Kong for ~160 US including shipping. Supposedly these are Venus 175 derivatives, originally made on imported Swiss equipment, a bit updated and re-issued around year 2000. 

Best yet, there just so happens to be a tutorial on a Breitling with Venus 175 movement from our favorite Beloved Leader Mark Lovick :-)

My ED1963 may not stay in one piece for very long!

Hi,

One thing you might consider is looking to see what kind of technical sheets or spec sheets and tutorials are available for any of the movements you are thinking about. I chose the 7750 for my first chronograph simply because of the interactive eta 7750 technical video. But then again that's just how I approach watches, I try to find out all I can about a model I haven't worked on before I start.

Charles K

• Like 1

Hi,

One thing you might consider is looking to see what kind of technical sheets or spec sheets and tutorials are available for any of the movements you are thinking about. I chose the 7750 for my first chronograph simply because of the interactive eta 7750 technical video. But then again that's just how I approach watches, I try to find out all I can about a model I haven't worked on before I start.

Charles K

Hi Charles. Thanks for the suggestion, and I am still looking for a low=priced Valjoux (not easy). What is the interactive video? 

JC

The video is basically a diagram of the 7750. You start out with a complete movement and you step by step disassemble and then reassemble it in correct sequence. It tells you what goes where and why. Also it lists what parts gets oil and what kind of oil is suggested. If you google 7750 movement diagram it will be the first thing that pops up from eta swiss labs. You can watch it for free and is very informative. I have it on disc and have actually installed it on my laptop just for quick reference.

Charles K

• Like 1

You are right about it being hard to find a cheap valjoux. It is possible however and then when you are done you have a valuable movement. What I did was just searched ebay for 7750 then filtered for watches and searched price lowest to highest. It might not look pretty but you are just looking for something to get the feel for it.

I am looking for another project myself right now and even finding broken watches at a reasonable price is getting crazy. I was bidding on two different Rolexes this week that were either broken or were running way too fast and they went for prices as high or higher than ones that were running properly. I've got the high bid on one right now and it's missing the entire autowind part and the price is still around $500.00 with a day left on the auction. I'm also looking at a Hamilton that I hope to get.

Charles K

Hey Charles,

Yes I use the same method when I am looking for something cheap and fixable--I think it's getting harder to find the gems, yes! I'm still looking but he prices for a working 7750 means the case and or watch containing it are in real bad shape. If the case is in good shape then the movement has water damage--usually at the crown or pushers. I also see a lot of Leonidas, Landeron and a few Venus movements. Are these any good to practice on, or are they simply too outdated to waste time on? It seems the Valjoux workings have the market for good.

Did you get the Rolex?

JC

Edited by noirrac1j
  • Like 1

Hi JC,

You are absolutely right about good prices and good movements...right now I see those are mutually exclusive properties! :(

In any case, whichever movement you decide to start with, I'm looking forward to hear about your journey together. In a way, I believe no movement is too old or too bad to learn from...only the parts may be an issue ...or the price! I haven't gotten into chronometers yet, at least not all the way, so this will be very interesting for me. It does beg the question, being a chronometer and a wristwatch, would some be so old that it would be a problem to choose it for your purposes?

All the luck finding what you want and success, my friend!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. In my journeys through watch world I'll be keeping an eye out just in case I find something you may like.

Hi Joe, the first chrono I worked on was a Landeron 48. I'm not saying it is the best, but one would still give you invaluable experience regarding chrono work. Finding out about eccentric adjusters and fly back mechanisms is all part of the learning curve.

I suggest you purchase this http://www.amazon.com/Complicated-Watches-Their-Repair-Donald/dp/0719800900if you don't already have one, there is a lot of good information in it.

I wish you well with the chronograph venture, it's well worth doing.

• Like 2

I suggest you purchase this http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0719800900if you don't already have one, there is a lot of good information in it.

"You purchased this item on April 29, 2014" Yes, I did! :)

It is good advise...I like the suggestion about the Landeron. I'll check them out just for fun, I'm not going near chronos any time soon!

Cheers,

Bob

Hi,

Any chronograph you decide to work on should be good experience. Now I picked the 7750 myself because of the eta video plus I have a Breitling that I wanted to be sure that I could keep serviced if and when needed. Now today I happen to have free time so I searched ebay for good 7750 movements. There are several Hamilton branded 7750 movements for around $300. One I found was item #201507074186 for $299. or make offer. That's about twice the price of the Asian movements. I wasn't looking for anything except movements however if you want one with a case I might suggest one of those Invictas with a swiss 7750. They can be had for about the same price if you look hard.

One thing you might also think about in selecting a movement to learn on is parts availability.

Charles K

Hi JC,

You are absolutely right about good prices and good movements...right now I see those are mutually exclusive properties! :(

In any case, whichever movement you decide to start with, I'm looking forward to hear about your journey together. In a way, I believe no movement is too old or too bad to learn from...only the parts may be an issue ...or the price! I haven't gotten into chronometers yet, at least not all the way, so this will be very interesting for me. It does beg the question, being a chronometer and a wristwatch, would some be so old that it would be a problem to choose it for your purposes?

All the luck finding what you want and success, my friend!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. In my journeys through watch world I'll be keeping an eye out just in case I find something you may like.

Thanks Bob!

Hi,

Any chronograph you decide to work on should be good experience. Now I picked the 7750 myself because of the eta video plus I have a Breitling that I wanted to be sure that I could keep serviced if and when needed. Now today I happen to have free time so I searched ebay for good 7750 movements. There are several Hamilton branded 7750 movements for around $300. One I found was item #201507074186 for $299. or make offer. That's about twice the price of the Asian movements. I wasn't looking for anything except movements however if you want one with a case I might suggest one of those Invictas with a swiss 7750. They can be had for about the same price if you look hard.

One thing you might also think about in selecting a movement to learn on is parts availability.

Charles K

Thanks CKelly. That ETA 7750 video tutorial is great. It takes you step by step in as easy a manner as possible....Wow! That's a strong incentive to get the ETA 7750 for sure. I'm pretty good with my hands, but sometimes I get a little cocky and that's when things start flying away!! Ha ha ha.

I'm on the lookout for a 7750, but knowing my tendency to become emotionally to my timepieces, it would have to be something I could actually wear (i.e stainless steel case and decent dial, etc) otherwise its difficult for me to commit to learning how to do a chrono.

Onward!

JC

Actually I feel the same way. I get really attached to the watches I learn on. The first 7750 I built and got going made me want to put it in a case. So I bought a new case that resembled a Rolex sub style. Then I found a nice branded dial somewhere that fit the movement and case. I finally let someone twist my arm enough that I sold it for basically what I had in it. By that time I was ready to move on to another project.

By the way I did not get the Rolex I was looking at. By the time the auction ended the cost was too much. By the time I added in buying an autowind component and the watch itself I could have just as easily bought one already running.

Charles K