Eta 2783 Mainspring Grip On Barrel Arbor

Everything is going well on my ETA rebuild, but I got the new mainspring in and this is what it looks like. My Seikos all have a really snug twisting shove required to engage the arbor, then an audible 'click' when the arbor lug engages the mainspring slot. Any suggestions on adjusting the grip - if I do nothing, the watch won't wind....post-1010-0-42874000-1453682230_thumb.jp

Looking at the pic the inner coil is not snug around against the arbour. If I am correct it will need manipulating. 

I have found the best way to do this without breaking the spring is to use these hairspring tweezers with support for the middle (I use a tack). The support for the middle  is very important because it is very easy to snap the spring.

post-234-0-80846400-1453712256_thumb.jpg

Looking at those tweezers, I always thought they were just used for forming a breguet overcoil. Interesting that they can be used for adjusting mainsprings. Do you use them for other purposes, too, such as general hairspring manipulation?

thanks,

David S

Looking at those tweezers, I always thought they were just used for forming a breguet overcoil. Interesting that they can be used for adjusting mainsprings. Do you use them for other purposes, too, such as general hairspring manipulation?

Indeed the catalogue attached above references them for use on Breguet HS. But I think that if if the shape fits the need, can be used for other purposese.

Hi, just my twopence worth and not wishing to offend anyone.

I cant't believe that anyone would use hairspring tweeters or in fact any normal tweezer, which can cost an arm and a leg, to bend mainsprings.

I think any daily use tweezers would be wrecked.

Surely you would have to use small pliers.

• Like 1

Correction : in my previous post please read overcoil tweezers instead of overcoil pliers.  I should also have pointed out that because of the taper, the round nosed pliers should be used gently on one side and then the other of the loop that is being closed.

Another, perhaps better, suggestion is to make an overcoil-type pair of tweezers of large size, depending on the size of the mainspring barrel arbor, from a stout pair of brass tweezers. I have dug out this example that I used a couple of times before acquiring the pliers. The shaping was done with a couple of needle files; one round for the concave side and a flat one for the opposite side.

post-374-0-42174000-1453745610.jpg

Edited by cdjswiss
  • Like 1

Well, I've certainly learned to wait at least 24 hrs before looking at any replies from a post - thanks to everyone for the info and photos and discussion about meaning and intent. As the replies unfolded, it became increasing clear that one insets the hefty tweezers/small pliers into the center and grip the spring and slowly and carefully bend in an overcoil, without concentrating all the bending in one location. The curved jaw to the interior and the flat jaw to the exterior, and flip the spring to maintain parallelism to the arbor shaft while manipulating. I'll post a reply with the result.