Crystal Polishing Techniques

frenchie

Hi everyone,

There are lots of options out there to polish crystals. I use car polishing compound (and then car polish, sometimes). It works great and is gentle enough that you don't have to worry about scratching it. And it's fairly cheap!

The compound is a thicker grit than the polish, so it works great for deeper scratches. A couple of minutes of polishing, by hand, is enough to make a big difference on most scratches.

Here is an example :

Before

post-106-0-75214400-1453562211_thumb.jpg

After

post-106-0-86431200-1453562289_thumb.jpg

If you have examples, post them here, with your favorite technique

Note : compound and polish also work on watch cases :)

• Like 1

If you have examples, post them here, with your favorite technique

Note : compound and polish also work on watch cases :)

Hi Fenchie, that's a good result you have there. I have used this exact same method myself, but my own personal preference is flatten the plastic using 1200 grit wet or dry paper with water, then polish using Solvol Autosol metal polish. It works so well I hardly ever buy new crystals.

Great work. What about using a Dremel tool with Red compound

Welcome to the forum JD. Be careful if you use a Dremel on plastic lenses, it very easy to melt the surface due to the heat generated.

Geo and I vie with one another as to the way to polish acrylics. Both produce the fine end result, but I claim that my use of Micromesh enables me to quickly remove deep scratches then I go through the finer grades (10 seconds each grade) to produce the final high gloss with the 1200 grit.

Ones source: eBay # 161727693512.

If there is no discoloration all Hesacryl crystals can be restored to NOS condition.

• Like 1

Frenchie, for your example given, I'll use emery paper medium grit to take out the deep scratches and then finer grit to smooth out the surface. Lastly, apply a little Polywatch for the final finish.

If there's no deep scratches, then I'll just use Polywatch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I start with 600 grit wet and dry for deep scratches then work my way through 900, 1000, 1200, 2400 wet and dry.  I then use Brasso or Silvo metal polish.  I sometimes use diamantine  mixed with light oil or dialux next.  For the final polish I use an impregnated jewelry cloth.   

Very rarely use a dremel as it can cause flat spots or wells but can be useful round the side edges of a high dome crystal.   A flat block can be useful in maintaining the crystal's profile.

I use the above for both plastic and mineral glass, the latter taking much longer!!  Patience is a must!!

It is important that the crystal is thoroughly washed/cleaned after each stage to remove debris.  If this is not done then the co**BLEEP**r material is still there and can scratch the finer finish of the next step.

The word was 'co**BLEEP**r'  as in  more co**BLEEP**  or rough.  Looks like the bottom fell out of it !!      :D

Oops done it again.  For BLEEP try an anagram of 'sear' !!

Edited by canthus
  • Like 1