Jump to content
SCOTTY

Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

Recommended Posts

s-l1600.jpg

image.thumb.png.4612835bb160333cf4cc129a8282b88e.png

 

Something a little bit different from the penny lots today (0.99p no other bidders).

A 1976 Citizen Crystron early LCD.

Sadly not in as good condition as this one -> here <-.. but then again it doesn't have the eye watering price tag to match either.

I've picked up some nickel welding rods, to do some electroplating experiments with,  so I may try to re-plate the case on this one, assuming I can get it running of course.

Edited by AndyHull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had my eye on a 70's Seiko with a quartz movement for quite some time. I picked up this green dial little honey this morning. It has a quartz heart oscillating at a steady 32,768 cycles a second! It's a model 0923-8040. The serial says it is of a 1975 vintage, exactly the time frame I was searching for. Pictures I've seen online of others, look fantastic, fingers crossed it's the same in person.@JohnD has several vintage quartz Seiko's with blue dials and I believe he has this exact same model with a blue dial, possibly with a different case. Will definitely share this when it arrives.

20200521_185327.jpg

20200521_185308.jpg

20200521_185253.jpg

Screenshot_20200521-185516_eBay.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Have had my eye on a 70's Seiko with a quartz movement for quite some time. I picked up this green dial little honey this morning. It has a quartz heart oscillating at a steady 32,768 cycles a second! It's a model 0923-8040. The serial says it is of a 1975 vintage, exactly the time frame I was searching for. Pictures I've seen online of others, look fantastic, fingers crossed it's the same in person.@JohnD has several vintage quartz Seiko's with blue dials and I believe he has this exact same model with a blue dial, possibly with a different case. Will definitely share this when it arrives.

20200521_185327.jpg

20200521_185308.jpg

20200521_185253.jpg

Screenshot_20200521-185516_eBay.jpg

Nice JDM watch there, I suppose you realise that it will have an English/Kanji day wheel?B). I don't have a blue faced 0923 QZ,  only this silver faced GP 0923-8000.....

ptKMSZP.jpg

And this 0922-8060 (date only) in stainless

6m9fBl8.jpg

 Out of about 40 examples of these early analogue quartz watches I don't have one with an '-8040' case... Nearest I have to that is a couple of 0903-8049'sEfoUsQp.jpg

This 4633-8049.....

P050vZZ.jpg

This 0903-8089...

Fz3u0Af.jpg

And this 0903-8099......

1IN9GQW.jpg

 Plenty of other blue faced 4004's (export version) though, mainly with 0903 movements though a couple with 4633 movements...

 

 

Edited by JohnD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to hit you up @JohnD when I'm considering which watch to select. Your experience would be invaluable to my lack of it, lol.

This is the watch of yours I was inspired by. Though I can't exactly make out the letters if any below the Seiko logo.

 

imageproxy.jpeg

Edited by FLwatchguy73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I need to hit you up @JohnD when I'm considering which watch to select. Your experience would be invaluable to my lack of it, lol.

When I got interested in these early quartz Seiko's about 5 or 6 years ago, there was no interest in them whatsoever and they could be picked up for peanuts, so I did!

With about 40 examples of the 4004's now, I probably have the largest single collection of them than anyone else and there are still loads of examples that I don't have! Now that the price has escalated I am finding it very hard to increase the collection. While they are still affordable on your side of the pond bloody eBay Global Shipping fees, make them too dear for me over in the UK........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I need to hit you up @JohnD when I'm considering which watch to select. Your experience would be invaluable to my lack of it, lol.

This is the watch of yours I was inspired by. Though I can't exactly make out the letters if any below the Seiko logo.

 

imageproxy.jpeg

That one is a bit of a rare beast, a November 1973 JDM 3862-7010, my second earliest Seiko analogue quartz watch, (and it is a 'QR' not a 'QZ'),  the earliest being this August 1972 3862-7040, which is not a JDM watch but a very early export one, having an English/German day wheel..

nFFjEKJ.jpg

that's new price at the time of 130,000Yen was 30,000Yen more than the new price of my Grand Quartz in 1977....:startle:

Edited by JohnD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... You guys got me inspired. You may be onto something with this "404 club" thing. I've been casually trolling eBay the past few evenings, and thought I'd give it a shot. I converted £4.04 to USD ($4.94), and started tossing around throwaway "Best Offer(s)". I actually scored one, and not even one but seven! A lot of 6 identical, and a seventh very very similar watches with 17J manual wind movements. They look like the cases are silver plated (no photos of where any telling marks might be found, so I'm going with plated) and thoroughly tarnished. What's more, they look mostly NOS and unworn; some still have bits of sticker on the back. No idea what the movement is, but I figure if I can't get at least most of them up and running and sold to make a few bucks for the next "404 club" buy, I'm doing something very very wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

s-l1600.jpg

There's a mark under the balance, but I can't make it out in the photo. It's the similar, but not quite the same watch at the top of the above photo based on the corners of the case, and I assume the rest are similar. The finish is odd, and that shock spring looks like one I keep seeing on French movements. Any ideas?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XYkAAOSwh~xd3qFJ/s-l1600.jpg

Edited by spectre6000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

Well... You guys got me inspired. You may be onto something with this "404 club" thing. I've been casually trolling eBay the past few evenings, and thought I'd give it a shot. I converted £4.04 to USD ($4.94), and started tossing around throwaway "Best Offer(s)". I actually scored one, and not even one but seven! A lot of 6 identical, and a seventh very very similar watches with 17J manual wind movements. They look like the cases are silver plated (no photos of where any telling marks might be found, so I'm going with plated) and thoroughly tarnished. What's more, they look mostly NOS and unworn; some still have bits of sticker on the back. No idea what the movement is, but I figure if I can't get at least most of them up and running and sold to make a few bucks for the next "404 club" buy, I'm doing something very very wrong. 

It's shockingly difficult to find watches in the "404" range that don't look as if they were worn by Judge Doom when he got run over by the steam roller in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"!

judge-doom-is-flattened-by-a-steamroller_-then-pops-up-and-re-inflates-photo-u1-e1587246532359.jpeg.1148fa7971124afed19a652de18227c4.jpeg

I have better luck with lots of multiple watches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AndyHull, where did the number come from? You're the first I see of it back at the beginning of this thread, but it reads like it comes from elsewhere.

@FLwatchguy73, you got a watch recently for more than $4.04, but less than the $4.94 at the current currency conversion rate. You lamented at the time that it wasn't quite a "404 Club" score, but I figured with the conversion it likely was. I looked up the current market rate, and that's what got me digging in this direction.

It's definitely bottom feeding. The listing was out of Israel, the watches are "from a watchmaker's estate", and the fact that several still have stickers on the back give me hope that they're actually in good condition, just need the silver refreshed, and a very light service. I can't identify the movement at all, but I feel like a 17J movement from the 70s in a watch like this has more promise than one from today (which would certainly be Chinese with no hope of finding parts). At less than $2/ea to my door, it'll be awfully hard to go wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

@AndyHull, where did the number come from? You're the first I see of it back at the beginning of this thread, but it reads like it comes from elsewhere.

Its is a very geeky and oblique reference to html (web page) 404 errors.

 

apache_404_default.gif&f=1&nofb=1

 

image.png.3f49f4b3a3fb9d34fe557e025f856c3a.png

It was a slightly tongue in cheek reference to the difficulty in finding watches at pocket money prices.

Little did I know quite how addictive and interesting the pursuit of these little gems would turn out to be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's Russian. 

Chaika 1301

It looks similar, very similar, and I was going to guess that the shock protection is Russian, but I'm no expert.

I have seen different variants of the Chiaka 1301 movements in the past, but to be sure, I would need to see if it has 1301 stamped under the balance somewhere.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Chaika_1301

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Marc & @AndyHull There is something stamped under the balance, but it's not legible at the available resolution. Looking at the Chaika 1301 movement, it's similar, but not quite... The barrel bridge extends out over the balance and the click is different (seems to be coming from beneath at 90° rather than the Chaika's more conventional co-planar arrangement), and the train is laid out differently. Mayhap it's one of the referenced variants? Is there that much variation within what would be considered a specific movement like that? The seller states that it's Swiss, but I have no idea what that's based on other than optimism or ignorance.

@AndyHull As a former Rails web-dev (now on the hardware side), that's what came to mind. It's a high/low bar to try to achieve/slide under. I feel like it's one of those challenges you occasionally see in the more geeky corners of the internet. With luthiery, there's the "backyard challenge" where you have to build an instrument using only wood from within 50 miles of your home. With cars, it's LeMons; endurance racing with a $500 budget (excluding safety equipment) and a lot of making up for shortcomings with pageantry. And now with watches, there's "the 404 club" or the US chapter would be the "494 club" depending on exchange rates...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

The seller states that it's Swiss, but I have no idea what that's based on other than optimism or ignorance.

Does it say Swiss on the dials?

I guess we need to wait and see what turns up in the post, which is always part of the fun when dealing with these slightly random pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said, seems to be based only on optimism or ignorance. The dials say "Wolmor" and "antichoc", and there's something stamped under the balance. You'd think in 2020 there'd be a pictorial database somewhere with a variety of search metrics... This is a mystery indeed, and I guess it'll stay that way for however long it takes something to traverse half the planet during a worldwide pandemic. Based on my recent experiences from China and Switzerland (both have been in transit for over a month with no end in sight), it'll take a long long time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

You'd think in 2020 there'd be a pictorial database somewhere with a variety of search metrics...  

There is and it has been linked above. Then if some more or less obscure mov't is not there is no fault of Dr. Rannft which does a great service paid by his own money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be. I thought it wasn't quryable, but it looks like it might be! If only my sub-dialup internet connection will allow me to try to use it... I was as liberal as possible with my query, and got zero results. No idea if that's what the database actually spit out, or it there's an error on one end or the other...

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&FE_163

Super close, but still some minor differences...

Edited by spectre6000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...