Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

I was referring to the moonswatch, the plastic quartz collaboration between Swatch and Omega, that’s over £200 and I would rate seiko movements over the Swatch quartz. 😀

Tom

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

I was referring to the moonswatch

Sorry, didn't see the "s" 😉

Yes, for sure. Unlike the Pagani, the reviews of these moonSwatches aren't very good either .

I roam regularly a German website "Kleinanzeigen" and currently there are no less than 514 "MoonSwatches" for sale; new and second hand, but next to new. It seems that people like to get rid of them. (https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-moonswatch/k0)

On the Pagani I may pull the hands and re-lume them with Superluminova. I like to have the legibility in the night as good as these moon watches are during the day. Besides, good lume comes in handy too when reading the newspaper in the dark 🤣

• Haha 1

I enjoy the affordability and style of some of the mechaquartz chronographs, but I really don't like it when one of the registers is being used as a 24-hour indicator, especially on a watch without a date function. That doesn't seem to be a very faithful homage or a useful complication. Of course, even worse are the ones where the large second hand is a normal running seconds hand, and you find upon receipt that one of the small sub-dials is used for the chronograph seconds. Or the ones where what looks like a 12-hour chrono register is just a 12-hour mirror of the hour hand...

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:50 PM, Endeavor said:

currently there are no less than 514 "MoonSwatches" for sale

The extreme hype around this watch was difficult to understand, but it shows that what really matters is looks and brand. Other than that, a plastic quartz watch, not making me too excited.

• Like 3

Hi watchie.  Spot on,   It’s what it looks like on the wrist no matter what’s in side.  Certainly looks the part  but there again so does a dollar watch untill it breaks. One for the fashionistas.  I love Omegas but this doesn’t ring my bell either.

• Like 1

For me, a bit of a "kinky" side step; two partially broken vintage quartz watches no less ! 🙃

They do run and the chronograph functions do work, but, from both, the small chronograph seconds recorder (1/10 sec) doesn't reset and they don't run 😬

I've found some instructions on how to reset the small seconds recorder, but it doesn't say whether the recorder hand should run, or not, after a battery change;

"Resetting the Chronograph to Zero:

If your chronograph and 1/10 seconds subdial hand are not aligned after a battery change, do not worry as this is common and easily fixed. Simply make sure the crown is in normal position (pressed in against the case), the push Button C (bottom left) twice. The second hand will move, press C again. Pull out the crown to time setting mode. Now you can adjust the two misaligned hands: Button A will advance the central second hand forward, Button B will advance the 1/10 second hand forward. Push the crown back in."

So, since both of them do have the same problem, it could be simple and the seller didn't know how to reset, or there could be more to it? Is it a coincidence that both movements do run (cal. 3510 + cal 3530) and do have the same problem ??

They added thrill is that these Citizen / Miyota 3510 movements (12 jewels ! 😲 ) are discontinued and apparently (very) hard to get (??).

Perhaps one of those: "There is a thin line between a Hero and a Zero" 😂

Anyhow, without further ado here some pictures of what should be in the post;

C-1.thumb.jpg.205968f4825756f74b0bec6574f23961.jpg

C-2.thumb.jpg.f1f87636e23a28573c09e044c083c2b2.jpg

C-3.thumb.jpg.49d9b964b80f087e5d5493ac3e120eb2.jpg

C-4.thumb.jpg.1661d0e45acd67c4d5ba806e0c2da556.jpg

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 5

On 3/2/2024 at 4:46 AM, rossjackson01 said:

Flaming heck!

Any chance of opening the back please? Would like to see the movement.

Sorry, been busy with the day job. Or rather, the hunt for one. 🙂

IMG_7924.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I order to boycott the Swiss (not really 🙂) I like to try a Seiko (6139-7100). Bit of an iconic 1970's model, nick named "the Helmet". Below sellers pictures and it seems to kinda run ...... according to the sellers watchmaker; ceased due to dried up oil and the seller didn't wanted it serviced, hence sold as defect. Case, glass & original bracelet should be in "super" condition .........

Curious what's under the hood !? 🙂

Seiko-1.thumb.jpg.c21498d773d0938c121abf9468f16772.jpg

Seiko-3.thumb.jpg.3088980b578aca6345a736afc2bb5108.jpg

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 4

What I consider ebay "Paydirt" - taking the back off a watch and finding years worth of accumulation of crud around the edges, so it is as previously worn rather than someone else's failure or Frankenstein attempt they are getting shut of.

And even better when you also find an immaculate movement with no sign of rust or chewed up screws!

IMG_2238.thumb.jpg.06d3c0d24e0781f93ba068897ee59077.jpg

IMG_2235.thumb.jpg.c223c853e19497b6c5346ed6af189943.jpg

IMG_2236.thumb.jpg.ddb356a73fb71fae155d087bc025616c.jpg

Another couple I think are fantastic old ones, from an ebay job lot (under £2 each).

They both look like they have been worn to death, with little plating left.

The "Claridge" one (upper) has the date 1922 (or 23) scratched in the back, and the Ingersoll has 2/48/FW in the back. (Is that when it was sold, or serviced)?

The movement in the Claridge looks like it was a reasonably high end one at the time, from the finish? It's also got quite a fancy dial. That one tries to run, but is very sticky.

The Ingersoll is only a pin escapement type, but it's still going strong with good amplitude!

IMG_2250.thumb.jpg.d43c5575a1833414a77e189487ad868e.jpg

IMG_2252.thumb.jpg.3e48e46455666fe5f866427e1a38da24.jpg

IMG_2253.thumb.jpg.3fd79c7366e60a284ebeb4505d414cdc.jpg

Edited by rjenkinsgb
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

I was searching around for a Lord Matic or King Seiko, so of course I bought a Bulova Sea King. 1972, allegedly running.

Not into the bracelet, but definitely feeling the case and dial.

image.thumb.png.2e270fc34fc232cc46c699b84a857564.png

image.png.01135ce222de20cb3025913699f53c4d.png

image.thumb.png.4fb33db73b86b2d4638e6d4780dbd2f2.png

Nice! I'm a sucker for these. This is one from the "President" line and should have an 11AOACB with a quickset date. Now you have to collect them all 🙂

BulovaPresidents.thumb.jpg.28d03c60dfb89c37e750553e1bef5a68.jpg

2 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

Nice! I'm a sucker for these. This is one from the "President" line and should have an 11AOACB with a quickset date. Now you have to collect them all 🙂

BulovaPresidents.thumb.jpg.28d03c60dfb89c37e750553e1bef5a68.jpg

I already have a President "P" and "A", so I'm on my way 😁

• Like 1

image.png.78f50ef2b42260120f72639625fc7a11.png
Casio MDV106G-1AV Gold DURO200

I'm going on a long family vacation to Southeast Asia this summer and wanted a cheap but reliable beater in case I lose it, break it, or get robbed. Quartz movements aren't my thing, but I'm not dogmatic and this was a cheap option. A few years ago you could buy it for under $50, but since this particular model with the Marlin fish has been discontinued, you have to pay about double that, but I still thought it was acceptable.

Sure, I could wear one of my cheap and very reliable Vostok Amphibian divers watches, but I have a personal relationship with them (having put a lot of work into them) and don't want to risk losing them.

Strangely, I feel very excited. Maybe because I haven't bought a brand-new watch in over 10 years! 😀

The only downside is that this is the watch Bill Gates has been seen wearing, and I'm not exactly a fanboy of Bill Gates. Anyway, who cares!?

• Like 6