Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

i should restate - if left alone, the watch would be much more desireable TO ME. that should clear it up.  i have bought several from india only for their movements and the hands.

as a side point, there are several dials that i've been experimenting with by refinishing them myself. so far, they're reasonably nice. it's really an art.

that is a cool dive watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, jdrichard. I've kind of got a thing for these Russian automatics. The Vostok Amphibians have a military industrial complex vibe that I find appealing in a nostalgic sense. They are dirt cheap. They are durable as all get out. They can be regulated to keep great time. A lot of customization options available. The biggest drawback is the oem bracelets are pretty chincy. But for $50 including shipping, you won't hear me complaining.

Amazing price. Where do you buy these on line

You can find them on eBay from a number of sellers. Zenitar is probably the most popular, but he's a bit pricy. I got this one from a seller called russian.store

But I have also gotten them straight from the manufacturer's website, vostok-inc.com

You can find them on eBay from a number of sellers. Zenitar is probably the most popular, but he's a bit pricy. I got this one from a seller called russian.store

But I have also gotten them straight from the manufacturer's website, vostok-inc.com

thanks for the note

• 3 years later...

Seiko ProspeX  SRPC39J1

Ordered this over the weekend & what a deal !!  258 buck$ + free shipping & no tax !!  :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon: 

97.gif

Seiko Baby Turtle # SRPC39J1.jpg

Blue_Baby_Turtle.jpg(Actual baby turtle not included.)

Edited by SCOTTY
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, ausimax said:

Lucky Me!

Get an eye full of this lot and another 14 like them.

post-1709-0-56073700-1454028479_thumb.jp

I've seen these on The Bay before & always wonder if they were flood victims.

Edited by SCOTTY

• 4 weeks later...

This little unloved number is heading my way for the princely sum of £1.60 + P+P - no other bids.

I rarely bid on pocket watches, as they are pretty popular and rarely stay under the 404 ceiling, but recently I have picked up a couple.

AsPurchased.thumb.jpg.7f9530428e98c9a20cd743ce09ccd027.jpg

There are no pictures of the works, so it may be full of macaroni and old tap washers for all I know. However it shows promise, and even if it turns out to be a complete lemon, it does have a certain charm about it.

AsPurchased2.thumb.jpg.b916634f4e6bfaf843e4728ed03b1355.jpg

There is even a slight chance that case might be silver, given the uniformity of that blackness, but I wouldn't bet my £1.60 on it.  More likely under all that tarnish it is just plated, but if so, the plating looks fairly uniform, and doesn't look too disastrous.

Now all I need to do is find a suitable replacement hand, fix the dial, clean up the case, replace the glass.. and perhaps substitute a working mechanism for the macaroni. What could possibly go wrong? :D

Edited by AndyHull

36 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

There is even a slight chance that case might be silver.

Nope its what as known as gun metal. It has signs of rust on the back. Silver doesn't rust.

silver corrodes and turns black --- just like the watchabove.  vin

32 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Nope its what as known as gun metal. It has signs of rust on the back. Silver doesn't rust.

Not gunmetal. Gunmetal is a type of  bronze, so an alloy of copper,  tin, & zinc, so nothing ferrous and nothing to rust. The rust that can be seen on the case shows that it's ferrous. I have come across many budget pocket watches in steel cases that have a black finish. No idea how it's done though.

I'll keep you posted. I suspect it might be nickel, or epns. The "rust" may be some other form of crud, but I'll need to wait till it turns up to find out. At the price, it hardly matters, even if it is made out of old sardine cans, I wont be disappointed. :D

25 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

It is gun matel. Have a look here. It is not tarnished silver it is to even. 

http://pocketwatchcase.com/large-swiss-triple-calendar-moonphase-gunmetal-case-pocket-watch/

I'm not suggesting that gunmetal isn't used for watch cases, just that as gunmetal contains no iron it cannot possibly rust. Assuming the crud that can be seen on the case is rust (which it certainly looks like) that case cannot be gunmetal. 

Have a look here:

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/watchcases.php

You need to scroll down about 3/4 of the page to the heading 'Black oxidized steel watch cases' and it explains the process in detail.

I have a couple of examples somewhere. I'll try to dig them out and post a pic.