Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

AsPurchased1Cropped-l1600.jpg.925bce4953a2dbad125582c7bd7610a6.jpg

AsPurchasedRear1Cropped-l1600.jpg.b89e957428db98e30628e3fb6f23a2ac.jpg

Not for the purists perhaps, as its quartz, but it does have a blue dial.

Advert.thumb.jpg.7db21666ceef462b1daf9f5f57060dc1.jpg
An Esaquartz 1501 based "Verity" SAH with more than a hint of a connection to Jaquet-Droz
https://grail-watch.com/2021/04/22/the-forgotten-history-of-jaquet-droz-switzerlands-shared-watch-brand/

I have a soft spot for early stepper motor quartz mechanisms, so this looks pretty interesting.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

@AndyHullLooks great I like those old 70's chunky retro watches!

My next watch that is in the way to sunny UAE is based on my previous Zodiac:

image.thumb.png.6a69d9cbb262be327b7885150a246b80.png

Depending on how it wears on the wrist it may end up as a gift for Mrs W

image.thumb.png.fe22468ea3359cd801623fbc91c1433f.png

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 3

CatorexPWCropped1.jpg.c56765bfd8f04f46b9b224ac2b8fb1b4.jpg

Another little bit of  a gamble. This is a "Catorex" pocket watch. The brand appears to have produced mainly midrange or high quality watches, with a fair few having Unitas UT 6310 or similar quality movements. I have no idea what is in this, but then again, that is reflected in the price. It may be white gold, it may be made of old soup cans. Time will tell.

• Like 1

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.png.6dee0d5b8fa8b9bb5bf2c759c2fe416a.png

Another bit of a gamble. I'm not optimistic about the balance.. I have a feeling it might not be sitting right.

AsPurchased2-l1600.thumb.png.f6bd69ee3b97970e83f2daa7198b3df2.png
The case should be recoverable though, and it obviously needs a good clean. It does seem otherwise complete. Lets see if this gamble pays off or not.

AsPurchasedMech1-l1600.thumb.png.b7e26f99c0d7c377ba8f5b487a1b7483.png

AsPurchasedRear1-l1600.thumb.png.6443fb5196e6d7344c06ac561871286a.png

• Like 1

I've got this one coming soon.  I saw it on eBay and thought it looked unique.  It's got an ETA 2452 in it.  There was zero bids with about 12 hours left.  I made an offer of about 25% below the starting bid amount, and the seller accepted.  Pretty excited to get this one in and on the bench.  I think it will look really good with a dark brown or black leather strap.

image.thumb.png.603da703eb724d9336a70633805532ac.png

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, thor447 said:

I've got this one coming soon.  I saw it on eBay and thought it looked unique.  It's got an ETA 2452 in it.  There was zero bids with about 12 hours left.  I made an offer of about 25% below the starting bid amount, and the seller accepted.  Pretty excited to get this one in and on the bench.  I think it will look really good with a dark brown or black leather strap.

image.thumb.png.603da703eb724d9336a70633805532ac.png

Impressive brisk date change on these. Spidel made bracelets which resembles the original ones on this, check pics online to see how original braceletes looked.  SS case but later in chrome plated case. You also like how noiseless it winds. 

Wear it in good health.

• Like 1

For €51 I couldn't resist this CCCP clock ! It's defect. According to the seller, when winding the key, the hands go fast around and than it all stops.

Sounds like somewhere in the escape wheel / anchor era ...... we'll see 😉

I would assume that these 8-days movements are of high / robust quality (?)

UB-1.thumb.jpg.4b0bf015cb9fc4a43a4cc0aeb5f83ee5.jpg

UB-7.thumb.jpg.685051256a95a7dde65819f9d3fbd61c.jpg

UB-4.jpg

Nice serial-number too 😃

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 3

The feeling some members here radiate as they talk about a find they found must be nice, unfortunate as it may be I don't have much free time to shop around, instead  a watchshop  buys for me the watches I collect, and I recently discovered Seiko Lordmatic, acquired four this month I think.  heres a most recent acquirement. 

IMG-20230419-WA0000.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

I would assume that these 8-days movements are of high / robust quality (?)

The russian submarine clocks are of a very nice quality. It uses a separate escapement platform which contains the escape wheel, pallet fork and balance. And these are all jewelled.

If there is anything wrong with the escapement platform, spares are still available. But the seller is in Ukraine. Hope he's ok.

I have one which is accurate to about 30 seconds a week. There's another one out there that has been tempting me this week.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

If there is anything wrong with the escapement platform, spares are still available. But the seller is in Ukraine. Hope he's ok.

Yes, in the past I've seen these platforms but they are slowly drying up. Buying from the Ukraine is a no-go, as the EU has become in all regards the Soviet-Unions replacement; any EU-import and you pay through your nose.

I've seen a platform on German eBay, but it's expensive (€140). However, I've been looking for these clocks for a long time and the starting price is low 🙂

Would this clock have a  VOSTOK 5-ChM movement?

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

I just looked at the link and I can see the movement has a typical rough and ready finish which you expect to find with most Russian movement from bygone years.  The design of the platform gives you plenty of scope to achieve the correct depth for the escape wheel to engage with the contrite wheel.  

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I just looked at the link and I can see the movement has a typical rough and ready finish which you expect to find with most Russian movement from bygone years. 

Yeah, it looks like it was finished on a whetstone. I don't think more recent ones have improved much either.

Edited by HectorLooi
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

This is the seller where I got my platform from. 

That's a good price! But sadly due to DK's handling fees & duties, by the time I get it, it will be around $112.

Bought one from Lettland (which is inside the EU), for$70 plus $10 shipping .... https://www.ebay.de/itm/255983137795

Platform.thumb.jpg.4ff996e6c5338b3a1662823ffa4b1c96.jpg

I'm very much looking forward in receiving both ! 😃

Seems a nice project and a very nice clock above my working-desk ....... (minor detail: I don't hope that the ticking of the clock will drive my wife mad 😤 !??)

Edited by Endeavor

18 hours ago, AndyHull said:

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.png.6dee0d5b8fa8b9bb5bf2c759c2fe416a.png

Another bit of a gamble. I'm not optimistic about the balance.. I have a feeling it might not be sitting right.

AsPurchased2-l1600.thumb.png.f6bd69ee3b97970e83f2daa7198b3df2.png
The case should be recoverable though, and it obviously needs a good clean. It does seem otherwise complete. Lets see if this gamble pays off or not.

AsPurchasedMech1-l1600.thumb.png.b7e26f99c0d7c377ba8f5b487a1b7483.png

AsPurchasedRear1-l1600.thumb.png.6443fb5196e6d7344c06ac561871286a.png

Is that one a cylinder escapement?  It looks quite unique, as movements go, but maybe that's just the ratio of case size to movement size.

5 hours ago, Endeavor said:

That's a good price! But sadly due to DK's handling fees & duties, by the time I get it, it will be around $112.

Bought one from Lettland (which is inside the EU), for$70 plus $10 shipping .... https://www.ebay.de/itm/255983137795

Platform.thumb.jpg.4ff996e6c5338b3a1662823ffa4b1c96.jpg

I'm very much looking forward in receiving both ! 😃

Seems a nice project and a very nice clock above my working-desk ....... (minor detail: I don't hope that the ticking of the clock will drive my wife mad 😤 !??)

You should have held off buying the platform first because the symptoms described might be due to other things. Like insufficient depth of engagement between the contrate wheel and escape wheel pinion.

Yes, the ticking from this movement is quite loud. Good luck.

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

You should have held off buying the platform first because the symptoms described might be due to other things. Like insufficient depth of engagement between the contrate wheel and escape wheel pinion.

Very true too, but I like to have some spares (just in case) and, so I like to think, these platforms can always be sold again. On YouTube there are some nice service video's and the movement seems to be very robust and build to last. The most sensitive part (but still very robustly build) seems to be the escape-platform. I'm happy with getting another 😉

I would assume that it is unlikely that the teeth of the contrite-wheel are stripped off?

Edited by Endeavor

AsPurchased-l1600.thumb.jpg.7e3903b085afe8c834eac3269e47848d.jpg

Just when you thought they couldn't get any more scruffy, I present the latest ebay horological detritus. That was the only picture in the listing, so I have no clue what (if anything) is in it.

I'm not into this for much, though, just 0.99p plus shipping, so its not a major issue if it turns out to be scrap metal.

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.jpg.3ec4fe40d99c478d75dce2bfd52100b9.jpg

The second find of the day has a little more chance of actually working when it arrives. It also looks considerably less scruffy.
A USSR era Raketa 2609 HA based pocket watch with a missing bow.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 12:47 AM, Nucejoe said:

I recently discovered Seiko Lordmatic,

What no pictures the movement?

Yes Seiko has all sorts of interesting movements I was looking at the vintage manual wind. Then as a little late to post my pictures here because it was supposed to come Wednesday so would've been in the mail when I'm posting but it showed up yesterday on the porch. DHL from Japan definitely faster than US mail which is probably why had arrived early.

Then I did pay attention to the case and dial but I really wanted a manual wind movement. Specifically a specific type of manual wind movement like this 23 jewels. If you look at a lot of the grand Seiko's there at the very top of the food chain but this watch is just a little ways down not is nicely finished missing to jewels different regulator but very similar. So in other words my cheap version of a grand Seiko not quite as grand but still nice. Then since it arrived it appears to be in the mainspring is broken pushing on the center wheel it takes often run sell if I'm lucky that's all I'm going to need.

image.thumb.png.e21e85eefc5b017df09b9c90bedd9ff3.png

image.thumb.png.52f83d02e1bdc22c4bada4b4c99e2239.png

The only other minor troubling thing that bothered me was the picture of the back shows it to look blank? But was looking up other watches like this the pictures showed writing. Then in real life looking at it the writing is there but it is extremely faint as there's a heck of a lot of scratches. Makes me wonder how long somebody wore this watch.

image.thumb.png.7ffdac6acd515ecd4cf2e3e4f6d363ec.png

Then the second watch didn't save any individual pictures I just snipped out the overall images so not the best. There is more of an afterthought because shipping is per package and it seems a bit high for one watch and this was on sale so I just thought it made things look better if I'm getting two watches. Then yes the dial looks a bit not the best in several locations and the crystal should be changed. Then it is wound up nice and tight. Because as far as I got fixed I haven't figured out how the back comes off yet doesn't appear to be in a place to pry it up but the image is very clearly show that it does come off even though it looks like a frontloading watch?

image.png.a3bff73efdbe915003424e17ae675421.png

• Like 2