Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

On 6/22/2022 at 8:28 AM, grsnovi said:

Anxious to open it up.

Any ideas on opening this critter? It doesn't seem to have a separate bezel (some of these required you to pop the bezel and remove the movement through the front). I can't seem to find a spot along the case back that is enlarged for a case knife. Pressure with a ball isn't doing me any good. Suggestions?

cb2.jpg

cb3.jpg

18 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Suggestions?

Without the luxury of having a closer look, it seems to be a press-on cover (?)

If that's the case, I've had many times suc6 with a surgical knife in the grove (housing / back cover) and drive it carefully in using a small hammer. Once to gap opens, you can insert your case knife.

There is a risk that you may damage the case-cover O-ring and for sure you will blunt the small scalpel.

surgical-knife-500x500.png.0dee610c8d6352473d98807fac96379a.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far I held myself away from Seiko & Citizen movements, but according to some forum-members these movements aren't as bad as I thought. Parts availability was my biggest concern, but as a member pointed out, these watches / movements are made in the "trillions" 😉

So today I threw myself in the deep with this relative cheap (€110) Citizen Promaster NY0040-09EE equipped with an automatic Miyota 8203 movement. The watch was described as used with some signs of wear, no papers and with no watch-strap. On the pictures it didn't look too bad and compared to some (beaten-up) Seiko's divers in that price-range, it looks exquisite.

We'll see what comes in the package 🤗

C-1.thumb.jpg.041004573eeb75b54c9e1faaf9660e93.jpg

C-3.thumb.jpg.8e2483a9031bc3cc0c7bb26a7fa4b119.jpg

C-2.thumb.jpg.0d36a7daa816b753aba6f9f3322e6258.jpg

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

So far I held myself away from Seiko & Citizen movements, but according to some forum-members these movements aren't as bad as I thought.

I have limited experience with the Miyota movements. I've only serviced a 9015, but it was a joy. Lots of parts but not a single little spring to ping as the springs are integrated into the parts, also, unlike the Seiko 7snn movements, no tiny cap jewels to handle. I don't know anything about the 8203 but I wouldn't be surprised if turns out to be a joy to work on. Let us know!

Really nice watch BTW😃👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Endeavor said:

So far I held myself away from Seiko & Citizen movements, but according to some forum-members these movements aren't as bad as I thought. Parts availability was my biggest concern, but as a member pointed out, these watches / movements are made in the "trillions" 😉

So today I threw myself in the deep with this relative cheap (€110) Citizen Promaster NY0040-09EE equipped with an automatic Miyota 8203 movement. The watch was described as used with some signs of wear, no papers and with no watch-strap. On the pictures it didn't look too bad and compared to some (beaten-up) Seiko's divers in that price-range, it looks exquisite.

We'll see what comes in the package 🤗

C-1.thumb.jpg.041004573eeb75b54c9e1faaf9660e93.jpg

C-3.thumb.jpg.8e2483a9031bc3cc0c7bb26a7fa4b119.jpg

C-2.thumb.jpg.0d36a7daa816b753aba6f9f3322e6258.jpg

Right handed !! Or is the dial upside-down lol ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

The Citizen has via a D-tour (Germany-Denmark-Sweden-Denmark) arrived. First impressions are that the watch is nearly as new. No scratches on the crystal, hardly any on the bezel and no signs of ever been opened. The movement looks untouched. However, the movement runs but has a tendency to stop. Perhaps no wonder if you see the "heavy snow in Switzerland" picture on the timegrapher ...... but this is the reason why we are here 😁

IMG_1880.thumb.JPG.4cd45c7504283995375d218288655823.JPG

IMG_1882.thumb.JPG.5a8d5192a4f266beb50a3164d0fb6075.JPG

IMG_1879.thumb.JPG.6513b12400fa1b0aa869c6f9e06169cf.JPG

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 3

Here's a beautiful super-seventies Favre Leuba inbound from India. It would be entertaining to restore it but the truth is that I only picked it up for the mainspring barrel. It should (fingers crossed) be a fit for a Zodiac project I'm working on as the FL 1164 shares parts with the Zodiac 72- we'll se how it goes though. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2dbe9496b0a2c044cf52fe1487eed621.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 10:35 AM, Endeavor said:

The Citizen has via a D-tour (Germany-Denmark-Sweden-Denmark) arrived. First impressions are that the watch is nearly as new. No scratches on the crystal, hardly any on the bezel and no signs of ever been opened. The movement looks untouched. However, the movement runs but has a tendency to stop. Perhaps no wonder if you see the "heavy snow in Switzerland" picture on the timegrapher ...... but this is the reason why we are here 😁

IMG_1880.thumb.JPG.4cd45c7504283995375d218288655823.JPG

IMG_1882.thumb.JPG.5a8d5192a4f266beb50a3164d0fb6075.JPG

IMG_1879.thumb.JPG.6513b12400fa1b0aa869c6f9e06169cf.JPG

Oh wow. Yes the old digtal snow globe 👍. Are you playing heavy rock music in the next room or living alongside a train track i wonder 🤔

Too many in the latest haul! Sometimes the stars just align that way at the expense of the wallet. Got these 4 coming, and I have a NOS dial/hands for the 2nd watch, a Bulova Sea King 'FL', which it looks like it will need. That first Bulvoa with original band is straight out of the 1970's, chunky and bold, something I could see either Starsky or Hutch wearing :). I have a soft spot for Mido's and this one looks NOS, can't wait to give it wear on the wrist. The Waltham was so clean looking and fairly inexpensive that I couldn't pass it up:

1.thumb.jpg.927a9750cc966357fbb8e1fb827111ed.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.72460d5a89660964c60620d7a018bbb7.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.2894a61b50b13b868674eda169afdab1.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.7fd0f0cfeebc3c44d5a048cf3db99dbb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Early Timex Marlin. Possibly late 1950s or more likely early 1960s.

AsPurchased-l1600.thumb.jpg.db1aab046ec69bf797e757c045faf7b3.jpg

According to the seller "Mens Timex Watch Second hand is loose, winder is loose ?  For parts."

Colour me pedantic, but that looks more like "second hand has fallen off and the winder is no longer attached".

Hopefully both should be easy to remedy. As to the "For parts." comment.  I think I probably have plenty of parts. I'm hoping to wear this one. If not I guess it will be 0.99p worth of parts. 

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

According to the seller "Mens Timex Watch Second hand is loose, winder is loose ?  For parts."

Colour me pedantic, but that looks more like "second hand has fallen off and the winder is no longer attached".

Hopefully both should be easy to remedy. As to the "For parts." comment.  I think I probably have plenty of parts. I'm hoping to wear this one. If not I guess it will be 0.99p worth of parts. 

Hi Andy. Hope you and your family are well mate. Just a little question you may be able to answer for me, about the name. Marlin is this in reference to the waterproof on the dial of just a common name used for waterproof Timex. I have seen the Marlin sea dweller on casebacks and occasionally on dials. But a lot of ebay sellers just seem to call most Timexes Marlins   ? ?

Timex "Marlin" watches were a range of watches introduced by Timex in the 1950s. Large numbers of these very popular watches were produced in the UK, assembly taking place at the large Dundee Timex factory. Sadly Timex closed their Dundee factory, so Timex production is now mainly in the far east. 

If you look on the dial of most Timex mechanicals from 1963 through to the 1990s the dial usually has a code on it to indicate the line of watches it is from. They break down (roughly) as follows. 

(1XXX = Mercury/Sprite) (2XXX = Marlin) (25XX = Sportster) (3XXX = Fun Timer) (4XXX = Viscount) (5XXX = Super Thin) (6XXX = 17 Jewel) (9XXX = Electric)

Be aware that ebay sellers tend to call *everything* with a Timex dial, a Marlin, because they are popular with collectors. Check the dial code if you are unsure.

The last two digits tell you the year. The year is also sometimes stamped inside the case back with an ink stamper, but this often gets cleaned off, so it isn't a reliable method of dating the watch.

The one I posted above has "Made in Great Britain" stamped on the dial, and no dial code, so this puts it pre 1963.

Timex revamped the Marlin range in recent years, with modern movements, but with the same design aesthetics to the originals. Take a look here if you want to see their modern offerings.

https://www.timex.co.uk/browse/collections/marlin/shop-all/

The early Timex mechanicals are a bit "marmite" in terms of watch repair. Some people love them, some... not so much. 

I've fixed quite a few and have the process down pat, but they can be tedious to work on, and the build quality is a little "agricultural", but then again that was the point.

They were mass produced to a price, and while they are designed to be serviced, most service centres back in the day, would have considered them disposable and not worth the trouble of fixing. 

I think the "Marlin" reference may be down to the "waterproof" nature of some of these watches. Personally I wouldn't trust the waterproofing even when they were new.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AndyHull said:

think the "Marlin" reference may be down to the "waterproof" nature of some of these watches. Personally I wouldn't trust the waterproofing even when they were new.

Yes, this name was introduced along with the features needed to keep water out of the case. "Waterproof" was a little ambitious, but compared to the wide open cases of the time it was an improvement. 

The most obvious difference is seen in the crowns. 

If you are interested, I've been keeping a stash of Timex documentation available here -

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-IKHN7WFKiwY3JMMDJnMld2SE0?resourcekey=0-7myGNNAUiShb5ihA-o6PnA&usp=sharing

Most of this was from a now defunct Timex forum.

I've attached an advert from the late 50's that shows how Timex originally marketed the Marlin. Someday I'll scan a few more of these magazine ads, I get a real kick out of them.

Have fun!

IMG_20220801_083412.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Timex "Marlin" watches were a range of watches introduced by Timex in the 1950s. Large numbers of these very popular watches were produced in the UK, assembly taking place at the large Dundee Timex factory. Sadly Timex closed their Dundee factory, so Timex production is now mainly in the far east. 

If you look on the dial of most Timex mechanicals from 1963 through to the 1990s the dial usually has a code on it to indicate the line of watches it is from. They break down (roughly) as follows. 

(1XXX = Mercury/Sprite) (2XXX = Marlin) (25XX = Sportster) (3XXX = Fun Timer) (4XXX = Viscount) (5XXX = Super Thin) (6XXX = 17 Jewel) (9XXX = Electric)

Be aware that ebay sellers tend to call *everything* with a Timex dial, a Marlin, because they are popular with collectors. Check the dial code if you are unsure.

The last two digits tell you the year. The year is also sometimes stamped inside the case back with an ink stamper, but this often gets cleaned off, so it isn't a reliable method of dating the watch.

The one I posted above has "Made in Great Britain" stamped on the dial, and no dial code, so this puts it pre 1963.

Timex revamped the Marlin range in recent years, with modern movements, but with the same design aesthetics to the originals. Take a look here if you want to see their modern offerings.

The early Timex mechanicals are a bit "marmite" in terms of watch repair. Some people love them, some... not so much. 

I've fixed quite a few and have the process down pat, but they can be tedious to work on, and the build quality is a little "agricultural", but then again that was the point.

They were mass produced to a price, and while they are designed to be serviced, most service centres back in the day, would have considered them disposable and not worth the trouble of fixing. 

I think the "Marlin" reference may be down to the "waterproof" nature of some of these watches. Personally I wouldn't trust the waterproofing even when they were new.

Great information Andy you know your watches thank you. 

3 hours ago, dadistic said:

Yes, this name was introduced along with the features needed to keep water out of the case. "Waterproof" was a little ambitious, but compared to the wide open cases of the time it was an improvement. 

The most obvious difference is seen in the crowns. 

If you are interested, I've been keeping a stash of Timex documentation available here -

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-IKHN7WFKiwY3JMMDJnMld2SE0?resourcekey=0-7myGNNAUiShb5ihA-o6PnA&usp=sharing

Most of this was from a now defunct Timex forum.

I've attached an advert from the late 50's that shows how Timex originally marketed the Marlin. Someday I'll scan a few more of these magazine ads, I get a real kick out of them.

Have fun!

IMG_20220801_083412.jpg

Thank Dad. Lol

Hahahahahaha. Fluffing master of improvisation ,  Yes mate that waterproof Timex is in a thousand pieces at the bottom of the tank. Absolute bloody classic, i think I've just wet myself laughing 🤣. Next time strap the watch on with some of our lass's heavy duty knicker elastic 🤣

Fooking brilliant Andy. I'm crying from laughing 🤣 👍

29 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Personally I wouldn't trust the waterproofing even when they were new.

Surely you do Andy. The waterproof Timex is waterproof, it has to be because it says so on the dial.  Lol.  Funny as fuk mate. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Lost focus while laughing so much 🤣

LoveBirdsSealAsPurchased-l1600.thumb.jpg.42e2d9f4c272cda3d6e02960251b74e1.jpg

Not actually a watch, but rather a silver gilt or plated pocket watch key and wax seal with two love birds on it. 

I was on the hunt for some pocket watch keys at a reasonable price. I'm not sure why, but some optimistic sellers seem to think their keys are worth more than the watches they wind. This one was 99p which seems much more reasonable.

When it arrives I have an excuse to play with matches and hot wax. What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2022 at 4:11 AM, AndyHull said:

this one is from 1961  🙂   

I have been adding to my collection of 1970's "electronic" watches.

IMG_6961.jpg

• Like 3

I ordered a CASIO Duro:

https://www.casio.com/us/watches/casio/product.MDV-106B-2AV/

From AMAZON (no affiliation):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083VMFR4C/ref=twister_B09S4VHC1B?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

The wrist watch arrived a little beat up, so I am a little unhappy about the level of abuse that package must have experienced for it to arrive in such poor condition (see attached images).

I plan fill it with oil, and do a video on oil-filled wrist watches.  I bought some .65 cTs oil from the mainland and it is making its way to me right now. 

After I create the video I will put a link to it here, if that's allowed? 

(Is posting video links allowed here @Mark?)

g.
----

20220806_155750.jpg

20220806_155804.jpg

20220806_155817.jpg

20220806_155827.jpg

20220806_155837.jpg

20220806_155846.jpg

20220806_155931.jpg

20220806_160000.jpg

Edited by Gramham
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A job lot of 5  watches arrived today which I bought mainly for a Nivada and a very old Vertex.

Surprise number 1 - 4 out of five are running and keeping good time. The 5th one looks like it was given away in a lucky bag.

Surprise number 2 - This Sekonda is a minter. Not a mark on it, dial is very clean, 35mm excluding crown and it runs very well. The movement is a 2614 and it does appear to have been stuck in a drawer and unworn for many years.

There is also an unfortunately named 'Tempex' watch, which is also in very good cosmetic condition and a really nice case design which I will definitely be wearing once cleaned and serviced.

Pictures to follow of them all but, for now, here's the Sekonda.

sekonda 1.jpg

• Like 1