Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

I'm very keen to see what is inside those two, particularly the Tissot as they did a lot of interesting movements.

I would suspect the Tissot is 1940s maybe 1950s from the styling, and the Precisa looks to be 1970s.

Both are fine looking watches, and should clean up nicely.

Perhaps not as spectacular as the Tissot, or the Precisa, but both interesting in their own ways.

AsPurchased-Cropped.thumb.jpg.940c0f4ef88ffb39855450a298068515.jpg

AsPurchaed-Cropped.jpg.2a9453ed28949a55e9bcdd4cefffd641.jpg

An "overwound" 1972 Kelton Armachoc, and a Kienzle, probably from the late 1980s

While I have a number of Timex branded watches of this period, this is the first Kenton branded one for the 404 club.

For those interested, there is a short history of the Kelton brand here -> https://www.kelton.fr/story-_l_EN_r_12.html

The example here, has a British made case and in fact, from what I have read the entire watch batch may have been produced in the UK, for the French market. Likewise some of the French made components may have wound up in UK made watches from time to time.

The simple dial of the Kienzle will make it a nice addition to my small Kienzle collection, assuming I can find or fabricate a suitable stem and get it working of course.

Kienzle has a much longer history as a manufacturer of both watches and clocks.

More here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kienzle_Uhren

Both were 0.99p plus postage, so both will hopefully make it in to the 404 club.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:07 PM, Tony13 said:

Thank you. It might take a while before I start on this one. I am just a hobby watchmaker and do not always have the funds to buy everything I need in one go. These Tudor's usually turn out quite nice when there done I will keep this post in mind.

Don't worry, i've been using Birthdays and christmas's to subsidise the tool collection. Just need to get myself some decent hand removal levers and hand setting tool.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:12 AM, AndyHull said:

I'm very keen to see what is inside those two, particularly the Tissot as they did a lot of interesting movements.

I would suspect the Tissot is 1940s maybe 1950s from the styling, and the Precisa looks to be 1970s.

Both are fine looking watches, and should clean up nicely.

Thanks Andy 

I have not opened these yet but both are spectacular in there own state.

The Tissot was $150 and the Precisa was just $25 . I think the seller did not know this was a real class act watch.

Also I was the only bider. All I did was buff the crystal and clean the case and it started from the cleaning .

The Tissot I have not heard this brand I just loved the look so if it is as old as you think it makes it even more desirable.

Both these are dead on time even after even 48 hours they are within 3 seconds slow.

Both look like they were sitting drawer for years and years.

When I wear either one I get people asking just what they are even one guy offered me 200 on the Precisa. 

But not just yet I love these so much.

You guys have such great taste in old watches , enjoy all the pictures of these.

AsPurchasedCropped-l1600.thumb.jpg.39921730305ae180ca1110ab29b15116.jpg

A Lancyl (Langendorf) pocket watch, possibly from the 1930s, from the bargain bins on ebay is heading my way.

The "cyl" part of Lancyl suggests this is likely to be a cylinder escapement movement.

Langendorf were known for high quality fully jewelled Swiss lever escapement movements, but they also  continued to produce cylinder escapement movements into the 1950s

A non runner, it also has three holes drilled in the back of the art deco case, suggesting it has been fitted on the dash of a car or possibly in an aircraft at some stage in its history.

AsPurchasedDamageCropped-l1600.jpg.731009fce3d927bb7ff084d5cdbb3b9d.jpg

Whatever bracket or strap it was fitted to has long since left the scene.

There are no other clues, and no broad arrow marks or anything like that to suggest it has a military connection, but it is  an interesting little item none the less.

The fun part of course will be bringing it back to life.

image.png.0c10eceb375a6880c8ce5844b2d31908.png

Maybe I need to get myself a Sopwith camel to put it in.

image.thumb.png.92f85f18b53199ca0a8bf25ac1f13b23.png

(Lanco Langendorf factory ca.1958) The factory now appears to be a Migros Supermarket.

Edited by AndyHull

It looks a lot better than the ebay lot I just picked up for a pound.

Strangely there were no other bidders. I can't think why. 😋
AsPurchasedCropped-l1600.thumb.jpg.7afeaeacd02bdfcae7cb0d37ba50e192.jpg

Description was "...these are finds with a detector bits and pieces maybe of interest to somebody the one pocket watch is a waltham..."

You never know, there might be something useful in there, and if not, I can always use all that dirt to grow a few potatoes.

Edited by AndyHull

This was shipped out to me yesterday, should have it on monday.. was a steal at a whopping $35.00. Only bad thing is it looks like someone has swapped out the original cathedral hands for this set, not sure why but I doubt I can source an original set, oh well. 

Will probably just resell it once it comes at a good price and let someone restore it.

Screenshot_20220121-111834_Poshmark.jpg

• Like 1

AsPurchasedDial-l1600.thumb.jpg.b3cc2e7b5ae5b61247d8ce7ab7a27672.jpg

A French Japy Freres & Cie. Beaucourt argentan key wind and key set pocket watch , some time after ca. 1850 for 0.99p

AsPurchasedMechanism-l1600.thumb.jpg.d55d06db1e58b11b3da3caded3154e12.jpg

The glass is in rough shape, but may be polish-able , and the dial, similarly is pretty rough.
The adjuster is worryingly skewed, suggesting the balance shaft is possibly damaged, but for the price, I can't complain.

It is obviously also in dire need of a clean and service.

AsPurchasedCase-l1600.thumb.jpg.9f98df6e3b58381f08d8826e789f1d74.jpg

image.png.ccb9c9d47e94b6abb925c9905ce9de57.png

image.png.28190cb3af5680da59606a0f52722d01.png(source)

More about Freres & Cie. here.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 3

Good point. I just tracked down a possible candidate for the movement and a slightly closer estimate for the age at around 1880, which suggests it may be as much as 140 years old.

Hopefully its not working simply because its gummed up, however it could be that there is wear on the escapement, which would be a lot more troublesome. Time will tell.

image.png.864e80f22831e747db08ad827608490c.png

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Japy_16

Edited by AndyHull

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It doesn't have a balance staff that is a cylinder movement. 

image.png.c2dd33f658530be25625cd010d46adc8.png

The ebay images might actually show evidence of some "fat thumb" activity. That looks suspiciously like a deformed hairspring in the lower left quadrant of the balance wheel.

If that is all that is wrong with it, hopefully I should be able to get it running fairly easily. It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to verify this however, but I'll keep you all posted when I do.

Wear is a distinct possibility, especially given how grubby the movement looks. The mainspring spring does indeed look pretty substantial, so I will be letting that down very carefully assuming it isn't broken or gunked up solid.

There is a blog post about a very similar watch with a nearly identical movement complete with even more history of Japy -> here <-

Edited by AndyHull