Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

image.thumb.png.5ddfcce23c9ecade1fb9fea54ef5ef8a.png

What strange times we live in. A GPS tracker "kids" watch... "brand new in box", unused for three quid.

I bought it as much to tear in to it and see what is in it as for any other reason. It has an IMEI number on the back, so it almost certainly uses a phone SIM.

Brand new, these things start from about thirty quid which when you consider what is likely to be in it doesn't seem like too bad a deal. However given the no-name nature of these brands, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it sends all of your position back to the mother ship in Shenzhen. I also wouldn't be surprised if the battery lasts about thirty seconds between charges.

It will certainly make an unusual addition to the 404 club.

Edited by AndyHull

On 12/23/2020 at 11:04 AM, KarlvonKoln said:

It falls in that range, for an Elgin.  My brother may know more. He probably has already looked it up. The post is bringing it sometime today, so I will know more later.

UPDATE on 12/24: I was wrong - it's a 241 like we thought in the beginning.  It just came in the mail. I can read the serial number now - 11709941.  On the Bidfun archive, the picture looked rather different, so it had me confused.  But with the correct serial number, the Pocket Watch Database pulled up a 241.  And that one looked correct.  So now I know.  It really was so much easier with the watch and all the info in front of me.  Pics only take a person so far.

pocketwatchdatabase.com is a good resource for American pocket watches

• Like 1

I plead insanity your honour.

AsPurchasedFront-l1600.thumb.jpeg.f5393146630cf2ffae811e1535b0a717.jpeg

AsPurchasedRear-l1600.thumb.jpeg.4dcac4975abefc18802ef45a51aa968a.jpeg

As a result of my insanity and my inability to locate the off button on ebay, there is another (lopsided) Metamech on its way to me. 

In fairness the first one has just had the final touches put to its shellac and looks almost new. I'm not sure if my woodworking skills are up to matching the missing piece of this latest one however, so I may need to do a little creative thinking on that score.

This one is even older than the first and has the magic start button on it and the patented "tick" which you can switch on or off.  As to the date of manufacture, all I can say is that it is an early model. Perhaps someone else on this forum might have a more precise estimate. 

The first one I bought appears to have gained and/or lost precisely zero seconds in the time it has been running. Not bad for a non quartz clock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.5ca626ff1253cf776ba25c44143cc425.pngSadly this is missing its balance, dial, minute wheel, hands, bezel and glass.

It should look like this example. 

image.png.55c10a71d37166f356ef8824ddaea34c.png

image.png.087d0960d2519bc85381739b2b3b344d.png

(Image source https://www.catawiki.com/l/5306421-bulia-depose-old-clock-ca-1930 )

Possibly a forlorn hope that I'll be able to make it run, but nothing ventured... Well actually £3.75 ventured, including postage, but at that price, I won't be crying in to my beer if it never runs.  

The inverted dial and long stem suggests this was possibly from one of those new-fangled automobile thingies.
It might even possibly be from a heavier than air flying machine!
Does anybody remember travelling in one of those ;~) 

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

You may be surprised to know that one of your watches is featured in the collection of the V&A museum.

HopalongTimex.jpeg.d2caa6c8fdcce81605c74e54cbaf69bc.jpeg

Source:- http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O1160743/hopalong-cassidy-watch-timex

That's some pretty creative cardboard engineering going on there.

The one in the V&A pictures is described as being located in the collection of the V&A Museum of Childhood.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/info/transforming-the-va-museum-of-childhood

This is presumably not directly related to the Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh which I visited many times when I was young.

https://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/venue/museum-childhood

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Collection++Museum+of+Childhood&t=newext&atb=v124-1&ia=web&iaxm=places

If you want a trip down memory lane, or have some youngsters to amuse and you happen to be near Edinburgh, this too  is well worth a visit.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 3:53 PM, NewToWatches said:

Arrived today from Japan:  A lovely Hamilton Jazzmaster Automatic.  Nice clean lines, and is currently ticking away on the TimeGrapher:  +13 s/day, Amplitude: 258 deg., Beat Error: 0.4 ms. in face up.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.d5957a2942cbbe42bc7a17aa1c569d5e.jpg

That is very handsome, and impressive skills in photographing it as well! Any idea of what vintage that is?

• 4 weeks later...

A rather scruffy Casio CS-831 is on its way.

AsPurchasedCropped.thumb.jpg.16a09eda159294c27f2e80c00e6ad7d4.jpg

Released in 1983 with a stainless steel case, and Casio build quality, these were arguably the must have calculator watch of the day, and one of those gadgets that I nearly bought, back then but couldn't justify the price for at the time.

Well there is no problem with the price of this one, it easily will make it in to the 404 club, assuming I can get it working and make it look a little more presentable. I'm not sure the bracelet is original, but I have a couple of suitable Casio bracelets in the junk pile if it isn't.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

AsPurchasedCropped.thumb.jpg.dbb6d7a3d98dcd74e1d2893b1b947f3b.jpg

A Ladies Glashütte 17 jewel all the way from sunny Boden Edelstahl.

That's as close to a German joke as I can muster.

Boden: Edenstahl translates as Bottom: stainless steel, but Boden Edelstahl does sound very like an idyllic spot in the Black Forest. Glashütte is in fact a town in Lower Saxony from which the watch manufacturer takes its name.

AsPurchasedRearCropped.thumb.jpg.b81562a4839545f12ed0504197201f97.jpg

It is 14k plated, shock-proofed (stoßgesichert) and probably from the 1970s to judge by the design. 

It is a non runner, and not quite in the same price bracket as its modern counterparts which start some where north of £5,000. In fact this particular little example easily qualifies for the 404 club.

My guess is that it probably has a Gub 77 or related movement in it, which should make for an interesting service or repair.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good morning folks. I know it's been ages since I last posted, but I've been falling down a typewriter collecting and restoration rabbit hole for the last year. I never actually left, but obsessions being what they are, well here I am.? I've been wanting a Citizen Bullhead with panda dial for ages now but never found one I wanted to pay current market value for. As an alternative, I was able to find this Citizen Chronograph, commonly known as The Spider. It has the same 8110 movement except it's titled 90° to the bullhead. The Spider also features a rotating chapter ring. The pushers and crown are stuck on this one, so that will need some attention straight off.

Not sure I'll have much content to share in the near future, but thought y'all might enjoy this one.

Screenshot_20210406-080018_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-080029_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-080053_eBay.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/24/2021 at 10:05 PM, AndyHull said:

A rather scruffy Casio CS-831 is on its way.

AsPurchasedCropped.thumb.jpg.16a09eda159294c27f2e80c00e6ad7d4.jpg

Released in 1983 with a stainless steel case, and Casio build quality, these were arguably the must have calculator watch of the day, and one of those gadgets that I nearly bought, back then but couldn't justify the price for at the time.

Well there is no problem with the price of this one, it easily will make it in to the 404 club, assuming I can get it working and make it look a little more presentable. I'm not sure the bracelet is original, but I have a couple of suitable Casio bracelets in the junk pile if it isn't.

For some reason, I have big respect for electronic, digital watch. Once there is plastic, I’m out for sure. On the other side, this exactly is watch of my deepest dreams from childhood. I would really like to see results you have with this. Would you mind sharing once you’re done?

Good morning. 
won some lots recently. Waiting time is hard and long. But since the Xmas are not so exiting anymore, it is good Bitter sweet spice added to flavor of life ?

They all ready for service by description. I bet I’ll be the first one for Chopard. So I’ll be kind to her ?

Does anyone have experience with using Weishi 1000 for Co-axial movement?

135CB3CB-0F1A-4E4B-B37A-6154EABB34F7.jpeg

A666A665-193A-49E4-9572-B65FB397E791.jpeg

71633D49-C0B5-424F-9A35-BED32A132CD7.jpeg

AB08038F-0346-4963-9D82-7F9B4A72AD48.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Thanks @oldhippy (and @AndyHull). It was sold with the following description (run through Google translate as it was in German):

"Junkers Ju 52 chronograph with the legendary Russian calibre Poljot 3133. The watch runs unobtrusively. The date switches cleanly, the chronograph starts, stops and zeros exactly.

However, the watch stopped now and then (only when the chronograph was running)

Visually very nice condition with small signs of wear, see photos. Beautiful dial in corrugated iron optics based on the famous Ju 52. A see-through back is installed through which you can watch the beautiful movement at work."

I paid €163/£140/$195 for it and I'm happy with that. Hopefully, it's only in need of a service and there's an excellent walkthrough of the Poljot 31659 (very similar to the Poljot 3133) here on WRT by @Endeavor, @Mark's video walk-through, and chronographs coming up on level 4 on WatchFix.com. So, if I fail servicing/repairing it, it won't be due to lack of information. It's going to be pretty exciting (and a bit scary).

• Like 1

Came in Yesterday, an eBay sleeper.

Similar Junkers models are available, but all with a quartz movement. This one was already for over 3 weeks on offer. There was no mention of an ETA 7750 (25-jewels) movement inside and I only discovered that by studying the pictures. According to the seller the movement didn't start straight away, but everything else worked for 100%. New available on Amazon for €1279 ...... got it for €1044 ..... LESS that is 😄

Junkers-4.thumb.jpg.b786841bfd23292ac34b8fb1761994f5.jpg

It ran, in all positions, quite decent on the timegrapher. Obviously in need of a service.

IMG_1340.JPG.a26cde537c1a72f1ed924a2e0bab8c25.JPG

I couldn't hold my excitement and today it's already in a "thousand"-parts

IMG_1354.thumb.JPG.49377f9fc7fc4d353f6aea10b29e1ed1.JPG

Hopefully soon another 7750 on my wrist 🤗

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 4

On 6/25/2021 at 7:10 PM, Endeavor said:

Came in Yesterday, an eBay sleeper.

From a complications pov that ETA 7750 is the ultimate movement; hours, minutes, seconds, day, date, and stopwatch! Plus, I sort of like the look of it as its quite similar to a certain Junkers watch that I've got coming in the mail. 😉 

So, €235! O.M.G! The seller must have been completely unaware of what he was selling or have thought it was one of those quartz versions.

CONGRATS!

• Like 1