Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

image.thumb.png.64a3ff850679f0ff57024e1b7163c82d.png

A 404 club basket case Sekonda to keep me amused in the long dark Sottish winter evenings. I have a pile of Sekonda spares waiting for some spare time, so hopefully I'll get some watches working out of the junk pile.

This one even comes with a genuine period correct display case thrown in.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, luiazazrambo said:

Lot2 and lot3 mix from the same seller £2.2/item + £5 P&P

image.png.25fd45c103c175436d16eca404fdb1b0.png

That looks interesting. The case needs a bit of work, but I suspect it will clean up very nicely.

The square Timexes appear to be relatively old examples from sunny Dundee, and the Beta LCD may have a tritium backlight. Lots of entertainment for not much money.

image.png.bf2401b871f72abe0f2a92625b9372a3.png

That Timex is possibly also from Dundee in the 1950s or very early sixties. Check the case, if it says UK Time Corporation and there is no obvious date on the dial then it is an early one. 

Some of those have aluminium cases, which tend to need a lot of cleaning up to make them presentable, but I think that one is Chromed.

Edited by AndyHull

18 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Don't forget to show us the Omega (and the others) once you have it working. I'd be interested to know what is inside it.

This particular one should have the omega cal 751 movement. I'm going to try and find someone to service it and change the crystal for me. Not touching the case, hands or dial except for a light clean. Wish it had the original bracelet but for the price I'm not going to complain. I did hear of a place in texas called tlc but don't know if they are still in business. I need to check around after it arrives. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Don't forget to show us the Omega (and the others) once you have it working. I'd be interested to know what is inside it.

I've been trying to find watches in different places lately and have alot of luck with poshmark here in the us. 

My latest finds were a 1966 hamilton dateline in the original case in beautiful running condition for 25.00. an off brand swiss tradition like new with a selitta sw200 for 35.00. a lot for 5.00 that included a 1950 bulova Lexington and another lot that had a vintage Longines and a Hamilton electric for 15.00.

These misc listings pop up frequently I typically search for the word watch and filter by newest listings. It takes alot of searching but they come up all the time. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AndyHull said:

image.png.25fd45c103c175436d16eca404fdb1b0.png

That looks interesting. The case needs a bit of work, but I suspect it will clean up very nicely.

The square Timexes appear to be relatively old examples from sunny Dundee, and the Beta LCD may have a tritium backlight. Lots of entertainment for not much money.

The ingersoll is probably damaged beyond repair. Water went in everything is rusty, you cant even turn the hands, balance seems to be ok though. I am going to try to clean it anyway, its free to try. ?

I love the TIMEX though. From the Sunny Scotland. ? I did not clean it properly - i was worried i never put it together again- just here and there, and a little bit of oil and it is running now. Crystal is cracked at 3 corners. Going to see if it can be replaced.

IMG_0023.thumb.JPG.44808d688266daef750de111de59e4f6.JPG

timex_scotland.thumb.jpg.5b1cd28276b644a91aed8de536b701ef.jpg

DSC_0666.thumb.JPG.76be39389dff1a2c96abbd24f3bc36fa.JPG

DSC_0676.thumb.JPG.f6e7fc80270a0ae1814025c49c47bb70.JPG

(The TIMEX lot has not arrived yet)

Edited by luiazazrambo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

I did not clean it properly

Generally speaking its a lot easier to use the "dunk and slunge" method, rather than take these apart.

It may not be for the purists, but it does avoid the need to undo fixings which may not survive, or re-assemble the single plate construction which can prove very frustrating. I do strip down the absolute basket cases, but the ones that only need a light cleaning will get a trip through the lighter fluid bath, and some light lubrication.

Restored1.thumb.jpg.7e1baefb09f2c487395a417f7057819f.jpg

Your example is in a much better cosmetic state than mine, which runs fine, but has a few battle scars on the dial.

I would guess these are from some time between the mid 1950s when the Dundee factory opened and the early 1960s.

More about my one is here ->

4 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Generally speaking its a lot easier to use the "dunk and slunge" method, rather than take these apart.

Now I must clean it that way. I am in love with it. I checked out yours, love that one too. ? I have a different crystal I assume mine is not original. Going to check my fancy shaped stock, i don't have much hope but who knows.

IMG_20201213_201754.thumb.jpg.e43453dc0faf334c7f920e916ef07f9e.jpg

IMG_20201213_202128.thumb.jpg.6fa6f6a7cf4baa7422caa9e1e2c1ded0.jpg

4 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Is the dial save-able? What is the calibre? I have a few new old stock Ingersoll dials, which might work in it.

I think it was probably not water what went in.... every second i spend with it questions my sanity. ?

After a little bit of clean, my 5 years old did that with baby cotton buds, paint is flaky, something acidic must have went in. 

IMG_20201213_201404.thumb.jpg.e1a3ca19df34f03a90bc8354a0ed30b4.jpg

Inside, this is not the way you take it apart, but everything seemed to be stone dead apart from the balance. I could not let it down or wind it up.

IMG_0027.thumb.JPG.4bc7c66dfa14e931a9d805dbe03deba3.JPG

Let me see if I have a dial for the Ingersoll/Ronda 1217-21 I might swap for the Timex crystal.

The Ronda is probably save-able. The keyless work is most likely corroded, but remove the balance and fork and soak the keyless work in penetrating oil, or dare I say it WD40 and it should loosen up.

Moisture from sweat tends to be salty, and that can lead to some pretty nasty corrosion. It may look like it took a bath in H2SO4 but I suspect it was probably something more mundane.

Sekondas are notorious for borked keyless work due to this very problem.

Speaking of  borked Sekondas, this is my latest impulse buy.

image.thumb.png.b39663195d0e5bf00bd8d3443cce3b95.pngDescribed as "SEKONDA 19 JEWELS USSR VINTAGE MENS MECHANICAL WRISTWATCH - Working when wound." I guess that is a little closer to the truth than the mechanical watches that are described as "needs battery".

It should be a gold plated case and almost certainly a Raketa 2609 HA inside. So long as the keyless work hasn't turned to porridge then with a new crystal and a fresh band it will  make a nice addition to the 404 club.

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.c8f48eb1de1bc2dffa741ce54ff0e359.png

12 hours ago, NewToWatches said:

I really do have to stay away from eBay

Its not pretty, but it is interesting. An early hardwood and Bakelite cased Metamec electric clock.  I'm intrigued by the idea of powering it from a 240V 50Hz source derived from a USB power bank. Failing that, then I guess I'll just run it the more conventional way. Needless to say, it cost next to nothing, however it seems there are quite a number of collectors of Metamec clocks. Now.. I REALLY do have to stay away from ebay. ?

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.9bbdcbdcf83f0fec65b0fe0e1ee3278b.pngThey seem to have produced this particular model for quite a while. I even spotted one with a Junghans quartz module in it, which looked to be original.

The one I picked up has a Bakelite or perhaps urea formaldehyde cased mains module, so maybe a little earlier than 1970, perhaps fifties or sixties. That mains cable is almost certainly a later addition.

• Like 1