Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

On 6/8/2020 at 1:13 PM, AndyHull said:

I liked the dial on this, and swithered about buying it, as I have quite a few other projects in the pipeline. However since I picked up a bunch of Sekonda corpses with these Slava movements in a while back, some of which had trashed dials,  I have a bunch of parts for this scrapper, including a clean, almost new looking  case, a number of suitable seconds hand and a balance, so it may not need too much work to bring it all together.

AsPurchased.png.3854846be1d3cb8dc6782c04e64a6846.png
At just under four quid, the price means it just squeaks in to the 404 club.

It is heading my way from Ukraine, and surprisingly the postage wasn't too bad. I've had local sellers charge more, but who knows how long it will take to actually get here, when you factor in snail mail from Ukraine with coronavirus restrictions.

AsPurchasedRear.png.558bfc01a994721de86036eafd3ea6eb.png

Ouch... I hope that isn't blood, and I don't hold out much hope for that hairspring.

Although this might technically end up as a frankenwatch, looking online at similar examples,  the case I have means it should be pretty faithful to the original. The only missing ingredient here, as usual is going to be "spare time" to actually get it torn down and built into a working watch. I will of course keep you all posted if I make any progress.

A little progress on this one this evening.

First, no that isn't blood, but it is rust. I suspect it should come off quite easily though.

Second... the thing was locked up solidly, and the hairspring was toast, but I have a bunch of scrap movements, as I mentioned, so I grabbed a complete balance from one of those. Interestingly the balance on this mechanism had a shim, but the balance on the donor didn't. With the shim fitted and the new balance, there was way too much end shake, so I removed it and now the donor balance swings very nicely.

Third.. it was still locked up solid, so I started to dismantle it, and almost immediately the problem was obvious. the centre wheel (seconds wheel) pinion was bent, and the wheel itself was disgustingly filthy, so out it came and the donor mechanism also gave up its centre wheel for the cause.

RIMG0508.thumb.JPG.e1f679c7b1f1bc0339c1ba27b92a93e9.JPG

Now the train all runs fine, however since the stem is missing, the keyless work will be all over the place, and I noticed that the quick set is all gummed up, so It is all going to be stripped down, cleaned and re-assembled. Not tonight though. Time for bed. :sleep:

On 7/11/2020 at 6:37 PM, AndyHull said:

A Slava S2356 jewelled quartz from the late Soviet era. I presume it runs in the conventional direction, despite the weird backwards "SOVIET" lettering on the dial.

That's Simplified Cyrillic for the us the Westerners that can't read it :)

19 hours ago, AndyHull said:

the hairspring was toast

With a coil over the regulator arm, that's not surprising! Who can do better, one extending outside of the (closed) case?

the wheel itself was disgustingly filthy,

Must have been work by the same guy - I can fick my zwuatch hiere in the tar factuory - oh, no, curva!

Edited by jdm
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jimg1969 said:

So does anyone know anything about this company / movement. It's the movement inside the watch in the post above

Cheap pin lever movement from a nondescript maker, maybe early '80s, cased in HK just as it says.

Baumgartner_866.jpg

It looks like a clone 17 jewel  (licensed?) BFG 866

https://17jewels.info/movements/b/baumgartner/baumgartner-866/

These were produced in huge numbers, and eventually even manufactured in the far east (Hong Kong).

They are built like a tank. Not perhaps the most accurate or elegant of movements, but fairly robust, and simple to service.
The headache is that the two plate construction makes re-assembly a bit of a game of Bucaroo!.

Buckaroo-Bucked-1.jpg

Avoid the temptation to mash the lid down, when re-assembling as you will almost certainly bend or break something. Patience, patience and more patience. At least the version you have, has separate screw down jewel bridges, which makes putting things back together a little simpler. The "one jewel" version can be a real head scratcher. Just when you are sure you have everything in their respective holes, you give it a short wind, and *something* has randomly jumped out of place.

image.thumb.png.50ba44d54dcf69b7b315596668be7efd.png

The manufacturer's trade mark.

Source --> http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280#sucheMarker

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

Thank you, the caseback was a screwdown so I didn't have any issues there. It's not been used but runs perfectly although I haven't tried to time it. It was just very inexpensive , the dial and caseback were marked hong Kong so I'm sure that's where it was make even though the box says Hawaii. Pretty sure that was just the importer.

I appreciate all the good info. Thanks!

My Lord Elgin arrives today so I'm excited to see what's inside that one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I just received a Gruen VeriThin Pentagon pocket watch in the mail. I'm in love: The dial is gorgeous and in beautiful condition, and the movement is stunning. I didn't expect the mirror polish in some of the movement components. This is probably the most beautiful movement I've ever seen in person. This may just be a white gold filled case, but it's my first non-SS cased watch.

Next steps: Figure out if this is a good candidate for me to overhaul. My current thinking is that this is far too "fine" a movement to practice with, and I don't know about parts availability. It's running okay right now, with a healthy amplitude but losing 3m/day.

Gruen-Pentagon-1.jpg

Gruen-Pentagon-8.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dpn said:

Next steps: Figure out if this is a good candidate for me to overhaul. My current thinking is that this is far too "fine" a movement to practice with, and I don't know about parts availability. 

I think isn't particularly difficult to work on but since there are corrosion signs one should examine all parts really close hoping to not find more. And a perfect aesthetical restoration of all screws, wheels and bridges finishing is definitely above beginner's level.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 1:32 PM, jdm said:

I think isn't particularly difficult to work on but since there are corrosion signs one should examine all parts really close hoping to not find more. And a perfect aesthetical restoration of all screws, wheels and bridges finishing is definitely above beginner's level.

Thanks @jdm for the insight. I think that I'm going to stick with the ETA 6498 and the Seiko NH36 movements to practice with. The Gruen is too beautiful for me to butcher. I'm definitely open to any recommendations about where I should send the Gruen for an overhaul!

I have one more incoming watch that I'd like to share: A ~1972 Zenith Defy (A3642). I've been looking for a nice example of this watch for a few months, and have purchased and returned two examples because of undisclosed problems and generally not being as nice in person as they were pictured and described as being.

This one, I hope, will be the keeper: It is completely original, not overpolished, and looks like it has been kept in a safe for years. It was purchased new in ~1972 by the father of the person who is selling it to me. Once I get it open, I'll be able to date it from its movement (which should be a 2552PC).

1867138666_ZenithDefy.thumb.jpg.edef4d2d3c16d6e7797123331f34e5f1.jpg

It purportedly runs well, but the seller didn't offer any pictures of its movement. This is a watch that I'm definitely going to send out for an overhaul, either to the Zenith factory or to someone recommended to me. Normally I wouldn't send a watch back to the factory for repair, but I'm concerned that parts availability will be an issue with this model.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dpn said:

have purchased and returned two examples because of undisclosed problems and generally not being as nice in person as they were pictured and described as being.

That is why I don't sell on Ebay. Too many chances of meeting a difficult buyer that expects more no matter the effort spent to provide an honest description and pictures.

15 hours ago, dpn said:

This is a watch that I'm definitely going to send out for an overhaul, either to the Zenith factory or to someone recommended to me. Normally I wouldn't send a watch back to the factory for repair, but I'm concerned that parts availability will be an issue with this model.

Just be aware that servicing at the manufacturer or official service center can easily set you back €600 plus any part they may find that needs replacement. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdm said:

Too many chances of meeting a difficult buyer that expects more no matter the effort spent to provide an honest description and pictures.

As a frequent seller on eBay, I feel your pain. My first Defy was described as working well, but the movement wouldn't wind and the date could not be set via the crown. My second Defy was described as original, but it had a nonoriginal crown and crystal that weren't evident from the provided photos. Please rest assured that I only return items if there are really significant errors between the photos and description and what I actually receive. /// I sell a lot of vintage camera lenses and equipment, and always err on the side of overdisclosing any flaws and providing more photographs rather than fewer.

• Thanks 1

Hi

I have a new 40mmHamilton King Khaki quartz coming tomorrow (Or rather, Later today!)

I borrowed this pic from their website!

It's actually on a mid brown leather strap rather than this dark one! (At least I think it is, The other pics have gone now!!)

NP6A7Ir.jpg

Can't wait for the knock on the door!!

John :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 4

Another little known brand heading its way to the healing bench.

AsPurchasedFront.thumb.jpg.77dd66343b9883441da5a97a1085e37e.jpg

image.thumb.png.9c11563997a3c8759a2cebc3fa07de27.png

This time it originated in, Schwenningen und Bad Dürrheim, Deutschland.

AsPurchasedMechanism.thumb.jpg.afa41a2f87b69156e994ae1e3dc150d1.jpg

This little Wilhelm Eppler movement looks in need of a good clean, and some minor rust removal, but for under four quid, what have we come to expect?

More info about the manufacturer here -> https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://watch-wiki.org/index.php%3Ftitle%3DUhrenfabrik_Wilhelm_Eppler_GmbH&usg=ALkJrhjcJLUQvedGuteCCOne-lOaD94cxg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Johnnie said:

Just dropped through the letter box, Seiko 6319-7010. It is in pretty good condition and appears to have its original faceted crystal. Hands only set if you go backwards !

IMG_20200629_094435.jpg

I have one about like that coming in but has the 7019 movement. Knowing how Seiko numbering is from what I can tell mine was made in Oct of 79.

• Like 2

My company still follows a traditional of giving gifts to employees who reach certain anniversaries with them.  Having been offered a choice (and being who I am) I chose the very traditional choice of a watch.  Only new quartz watches were being offered, so I chose this nice Bulova.  It is on its way.  My father owned an exquisite wind-up Bulova and it was superb. I am curious how the quartz ones compare.

7446466_300.jpg

Just bought this one and it stumps me. Lady I bought it from says her grandfather worked for the factory and made this watch. I can find the vulcain cricket models but not any reference to the vulcain remind-o-date. I do find the Lejour remind-o-date tho which looks identical... Any info on it would be helpful..f788ce529fb52140e1bde82a8e7ba3b7.jpg4b61669b2dbed32db5dbe9e4a96deaf0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2