Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Westclox used to make the Big & Baby Ben alarm clocks. 

Westclox in Scotland  was a fairly big operation, as this aerial picture of the site shows. 

scotland-factory.jpg

.. and here is an advert for the Dumbarton produced Baby Ben

baby-8-ad.jpg

.. and of course this is Scotland, so there has to be some Scotch.

Westclox-Whisky.jpg

More info here -> https://clockhistory.com/westclox/company/scotland/index.html

Edited by AndyHull

17 hours ago, markr said:

This is the crust I just scraped from between the lugs on my new 73 Timex.

If it makes you feel any better I've just done something unspeakably disgusting to a poor defenceless Timex.

I dropped the entire mechanism, dial and all into a small jar of WD40... 

s-l1600.jpg&key=0bcd9b2df2504aed11becd5e

However given the fact that it looked like this at the start of the process, I hardly think it can make it look any worse.:unsure:

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

.. and speaking of Timex, I  just picked up this pair of beauties.

s-l1600.jpg

Assuming the WD40 doesn't eat it, I may at least have a crown to replace the smooth looking one on the fellow on the right.

I can almost guarantee there isn't a single jewel between them all. :lol:

I've always wanted a jump hour, and now one is on its way to me. I've seen these Heritage ones before. They're the same exact configuration as a dozen other brands except the dial is unique. There is an ubiquitous EB8800 beating on the inside, hopefully the blurred balance means its actually ticking as I know these wear out without proper attention. On the outside it's clean as hell, the inside however, looks like ass! That will be the first task when it arrives! The second task will be to fit a black band, it seems more appropriate for the black printing on the dial and overall silver tone of the case. 

20200316_212514.thumb.jpg.6e5ec0ad93a98429d3d94d747a3b6420.jpg

20200316_212600.thumb.jpg.e5a03235231e32fd7d50b4623a31c002.jpg

20200316_212543.thumb.jpg.3585757dd0795ede8436d2a48fa7f783.jpg

• Like 2

... also on its way is a Citizen, with a crazed look on its face.

s-l1600.jpg

That one cost a whopping 0.99p plus postage.

The listing states....

"CITIZEN 21J 4-020511K 63-4093 Hand Winding Gents Watch.
Condition is Used. Working perfect keeping great time crystal has ware scuff Mark's. "

The serial number and movement dates it to January of 1974, so I'll no doubt have to judge if it is indeed still "keeping great time", and it will almost certainly need a service.

• Like 2

I just acquired this Antique H Samuel, English Lever pocket watch. My goal in getting this watch was to educated myself on the unique mechanism inside and to help a fellow WRT member with his dilemma (Discussed here). Plus I am attracted to odd, quirky and unique watches, and this one fits the bill. On the surface it seems like any Antique English lever of the time, but the "Climax Trip Action" feature has me intrigued.

844309150_s-l1600(32).thumb.jpg.2df924dddf6ceacb595c3f8ebacab5bb.jpg

482172436_s-l1600(33).thumb.jpg.363d251b375b0e25ef913be7848f9c7b.jpg

dealer_vintagewristwatch_highres_1443533308602-2748007888.jpg.ffa30d48196d2ccb6cd13249dd5ba82e.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Thanks. Time to crank something out on the 3D printer then, assuming I have nothing similar in the junk box.

How do those look when finished and installed? Do they pass as originals? I suppose it depends on the resolution of your printer. I would imagine the SLA printers would look the best overall.

58 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:
1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

How do those look when finished and installed? Do they pass as originals?

Not as good as the original. I may have to do some experiments with this. The trouble is that the originals are injection moulded, and therefore have details far finer then a home 3D printer can manage. A resin printer would produce something much better but I don't have access to one of those. There are some new old stock replacement around, but they tend to be rare, and thus expensive, or at least expensive relative to the price of a Timex watch.

• Thanks 1

s-l1600.jpg

Don't judge me, you would have done the same. It was only 0.99p I couldn't help myself. I was bored.

It does have a nice Chinese standard skeletonized movement, and .. errr... Its shiny... very shiny....

OK, it doesn't actually work.. but nobodies perfact. 
Maybe I'd better switch off this internet thing before I buy anything else... :D
Yet another non runner Chinese standard movement watch. I think I have enough Chinese standard movement watches to set up a separate branch of the 404 club.

• Like 2

I picked up another 2 watches, both are pre-quartz electrically powered models.

The first is a Wittnauer Electronic with an ESA 9150 beating on the inside. Thankfully, the dial is in good shape. A replacement dial is currently listed for more than this cost me, yikes!:startle:

1081479774_s-l500(1).jpg.d4c7510bbe3c4b4a44d2af5bfb2f6f77.jpg

Finally we have a Timex Backset that will be a parts donor for my Blue Nebula.

1497877035_s-l1600(35).thumb.jpg.e63bc46c6548872fc2d2dd4ab360c5c5.jpg

• Like 1

A very clean looking  1967 "Great Britain"  - Dundee Timex Mercury (1944 2467) fob/nurses watch for 0.99p

AsPurchased2.thumb.jpg.00918fed078166ba5e80054b7ebfe2f8.jpg

I'm not sure whether to keep this as is, or case it up as a wristwatch. It is alleged to be working.

AsPurchased.thumb.jpg.9f67c7e3cef627e95ddd192051aa5ac6.jpg

If you are looking for Timex mechanical spares, these nurses watches pop up all the time, and generally don't fetch more than a couple of quid. The dial code will tell you what is inside (in this case a Model 24).

Edited by AndyHull

Today's arrival, Smith's pocket watch, non runner, feels overwound, if I put pressure on the winder as though I am trying to wind it, it will start ticking for two or three minutes then stop. My experience is limited, and to be honest I have never seen a movement like this one in the flesh. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you

IMG_20200328_131713.jpg

IMG_20200328_131623.jpg

• Like 1