Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

More madness from the penny lots.

s-l1600.jpg

Antimagnetic?
Really?

Could this actually be a mechanical analog windup with a small LCD below?

Only one way to find out, so I bid. As is often the case, I was the only bidder, so I now either have a Casio clone, or perhaps something a little more interesting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyHull said:

More madness from the penny lots.

s-l1600.jpg

Antimagnetic?
Really?

Could this actually be a mechanical analog windup with a small LCD below?

Only one way to find out, so I bid. As is often the case, I was the only bidder, so I now either have a Casio clone, or perhaps something a little more interesting.

A quick google search reveals that this does in-fact have both a manual wind movement and a quartz LCD in one watch. If I had to guess, probably from a time before electromechanical quartz watches had been perfected.

33 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

A quick google search reveals that this does in-fact have both a manual wind movement and a quartz LCD in one watch. If I had to guess, probably from a time before electromechanical quartz watches had been perfected.

Neat. I hoped it might. Where did you see an example? Your google fu seems to be stronger than mine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Neat. I hoped it might. Where did you see an example? Your google fu seems to be stronger than mine.

OK I found one. -> https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/57646-homage-watch-sunday/

Oryntex.png.3e10b8498b1fed2e45de1e0155d8bd14.png

So I suspect it must have a Hong Kong special pin lever, and a quartz module. It will be interesting to see how it all fits inside that case.
Quirky and certainly a worthy addition to the 404 club. :biggrin:

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jdm said:

I don't post about watches that are not with me, but this one arrived this week and finally I got to open the package today.

DSC_0175-768x1024.thumb.JPG.13670065f9201ef10f55914d3eafa57a.JPG

Pretty good, all what it needs is a service and even better a video recorded one. 

There is a Bullhead on my grail list. Handsome watch!

A while back, I fixed up this little pin lever Ronda 1217-21 based Sindaco.

RIMG0425.thumb.JPG.569833d1f28de22bfb198a2a29b2635c.JPG

It cleaned up very nicely, runs well (considering it is an ancient pin lever) and is a bit of a favorite of mine.

Today I picked up its closely related 1217-21 Sindaco cousin.

AsPurchased.thumb.jpg.2db38f1d05be10c7ec53b20802ab93aa.jpg

Clearly the date is a little cock eyed, the crystal will probably need replacing, and there is every chance the balance or the fork is going to be suspect, but what can you expect for less than the cost of a coffee.

I'm pretty certain I have a donor movement (without the day/date feature), so lets see what the postman brings.

It seems Ronda 1217-XX watches are like buses, you don't see any for ages then three come along at once.

A "gold plated" Ingersol with a 17 jewel Ronda 1217 series movement.

s-l500.jpg

Allegedly it "runs", but winding "grates", so possibly keyless issues, probably filth.

The donor movement may have to donate to this one too.

On the positive side, the dial is blue, and you can never have too many watches with blue dials. ;)

The bids finished at just over a quid, so it certainly qualifies for entry to the 404 club.

A Framont Automatic

s-l1600.jpg

This is a small gents size which I would guess from the size and style is from the late 1940s or some time in the 1950s.

Plenty of battle scars on the case, but the dial looks pretty clean and original. I have no idea what is inside.

Listed as not working, spares or repair, the sellers pictures show that the second hand does at least move, so hopefully it just needs a clean and service.

This looks to be another small producer (what might now be called a microbrand), with some interesting designs.

The "Framont" brand was registered by Jules Crevoiserat & Cie./Framont SARL Uhren in Saignelégier und Renan, Schweiz (Switzerland). It was first registered on 2nd Feb 1944 and appears to trade until around 1980.

Edited by AndyHull

I also splashed a quid on a "Fortis" (or should that read Faux-r-tis, or even Fartis) parts watch.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm fairly certain this a "Mumbai special", and has about as much connection with Fortis as it does with Fort Knox.
Inside I imagine lurks
an HMT/Citizen 0201, but whatever it is, it has good hands, possibly a stainless case,  a reasonable crystal, and a dial that I can strip and experiment with, so a quid well spent.

... and finally, for the time being at least, and for the princely sum of 0.99p (mine was the only bid).
A gold plated 19 jewel USSR era  Sekonda, in running condition.

s-l1600.jpg

The hair puller will have to go of course.

I would suggest these are some of the most underrated watches on ebay.

As an everyday watch, on a plain leather band, they are well worth adding to your collection. They are also relatively well constructed, and take years of abuse without complaint, and are easy to service.

s-l1600.jpg

This a recent seller's picture of a near identical piece, scrubbed up and made presentable (and with an asking price well north of 99p I might add).

A simple classic elegant, durable gold plated mechanical watch for less than the price of a Mars bar and a packet of crisps. 

The only problem with it... It doesn't have a blue dial :P

Edited by AndyHull

With all the talk of late with blue Dial watches, I couldn't resist picking up a few Timex's. Since blue is my favorite color, this theme is right up my alley.

A blue TV dial model:

1985771658_s-l1600(14).thumb.jpg.3c19b83ebc752aa26e5979fe503b8f9b.jpg

A Roman Numeral Electric with a blue shadow dial

1108251888_s-l1600(12).thumb.jpg.f7237353de49bab3d9e26dcec9da6404.jpg

This one is reminiscent of the Falcon Eye, It's from 1979

1518908362_s-l1600(13).thumb.jpg.c077b4ca0c5a784f078c1662686777fe.jpg

And finally this '71, 21 Jewel with an oblong case and a deep blue dial

2110007052_s-l1600(15).thumb.jpg.999279ae747e6d9ffbc8241aeef0b1d4.jpg 

This should be fun getting these cleaned up and presentable.

Before I pulled the trigger on these I tried to fulfill the requirements of @AndyHull for his "404 club", but I just couldn't. All the ones that resonated with me were complete basket cases and not something I was willing to invest more time than money into, lol. I gotta hand to you @AndyHull you have a good eye for it. The cheapest one here was $10 U.S. The best I've done recently is $5 .

16 hours ago, AndyHull said:

A Framont Automatic

s-l1600.jpg

This is a small gents size which I would guess from the size and style is from the late 1940s or some time in the 1950s.

Plenty of battle scars on the case, but the dial looks pretty clean and original. I have no idea what is inside.

Listed as not working, spares or repair, the sellers pictures show that the second hand does at least move, so hopefully it just needs a clean and service.

This looks to be another small producer (what might now be called a microbrand), with some interesting designs.

The "Framont" brand was registered by Jules Crevoiserat & Cie./Framont SARL Uhren in Saignelégier und Renan, Schweiz (Switzerland). It was first registered on 2nd Feb 1944 and appears to trade until around 1980.

My money is on an AS 1187..

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

A relatively early Dundee Timex is on its way. I'm guessing from the style of the dial,  1963 or 1964.
Hopefully it requires nothing more than a service and a good scrub and polish.

BTW This is an aluminium cased Timex, so if there are any tricks I need to know to get it apart, then I'm all ears.

Just put this Omega  Constellation  quartz on layaway.  Ive had my eye on it at a local pawn shop since October.  They finally brought down to a reasonable price. I was able to spin it that it was broken because the minute hand didn't turn when I turned the crown,  only the hour hand turned. Fortunately for me,  they didn't know the minutes hand sets with a hidden button in the crown. So,  a legit Omega quartz for less than $100:woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:20191027_143011.thumb.jpg.749912032013e66ca703bd1e2ed85825.jpg20191028_155722.thumb.jpg.82765745334069f6e8edadee5e7d377b.jpg20191028_155745.thumb.jpg.8afb645baf7511e78b39c3b2d72babd7.jpg

• Like 3

AsPurchased5.thumb.jpg.6b527f708603aac61a423f58e5000a51.jpg

Also on the way, and just sneaking in to the club at exactly £4.04 , and looking a little bit old and crusty ('aint we all), we have this West End Watch "Sowar Prima" with tropical style dial and a slight case of hand pox. 

If you fancy a new one of those, they are a little over my usual budget. :D

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

DialAsPurchased.thumb.jpg.75058a0c9eb5249ce4c55727941f7528.jpg

A little photo enhancing suggests this might scrub up as quite a good looking watch, assuming I don't do anything daft and ruin it.

A lot of the nasties in the first image (which is a slightly enhanced version of the sellers rather poor image), appear to be on the crystal.

Here are a couple of images from the listing for comparison.

AsPurchased.thumb.jpg.bafd3ee3ec0210ea09ece2e9ee61a321.jpg

AsPurchased2.thumb.jpg.3aa73f0b23ab259554304843e2b48c9d.jpgAsPurchased2.thumb.jpg.3aa73f0b23ab259554304843e2b48c9d.jpg

My next question is .. how old is it, and my best guess so far is late 1930s to late 1940s so if anybody has a way of narrowing that down, I'd be interested.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jon said:

Does it have shock proof on the balance?

No way of telling from the listing, there were just a few under exposed pictures, mainly of the nasty looking Fixoflex metal band for some reason. I may clean up the Fixoflex, but I think this watch would look far better on a quality leather band.

None of the pictures show the case back off. This isn't too surprising as the case back is the typical West End Watch patented decahedron screw on design, so not the sort of thing most ebay sellers are going to be able to open. The seller says as much. (This is ebay listing 372939054632 if you are interested).

Not seeing it open is a risk, but also potentially a good thing, as hopefully it means other inquisitive individuals have not been poking around inside. 

I'll need to wait till I have it on the bench in a few weeks time. I suspect the hands are going to present the biggest initial challenge, assuming the rust on them  is superficial (i.e. does not extend any further) and the mechanism is in a serviceable condition.

Edited by AndyHull