Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

Another bargain basement low cost filthy animal waiting for me on my return from holiday.
A Grovana 23 Jewel with very mild green dial pox.

Grovana seem to be still around, and their current products remind me a little of some of the Fortis watches, both in terms of quality and style.  Click the link to see what I mean -> https://www.grovana.ch/Herren-Shop.htm <-

s-l1600.jpg

Other than the crystal and the filth, and assuming the balance is in good order, I suspect there is little wrong with it.
s-l1600.jpg

Interestingly it claims to be "Tropicalised", so it should be well suited to any future trips to this part of the world.

I think I'll probably ditch the date cyclops when I swap the crystal, as it seems a little unnecessary and clucky, and spoils the look in my opinion.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

Another grubby character from the bargain bins.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.c8c54180edf266ea3fd05143ad19d487.jpg

This one piqued my interest because it looks like it is probably from the 1950s, but my attempts to find out seem to have confused the various online tools. My best guess is 1957.  I'll need to see what is inside to be certain.

s-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.1413ad49c587fb716065503f3fe281ec.jpg

Since there were no other bidders, I got it for pennies.

s-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.7d9eeefd82cfcab1b739ad740ab2ee6b.jpg

A fresh crystal, a service and a good clean and polish and I'm sure it will make a fine member of the 404 club.

I have 2 more watches and a box-o-parts on their way. First is a Timex manual wind. Unsure of the model and age as the sellers photos, it seems, were taken with a potato. Next is a vintage Rego Sport chronograph with a single jewel Lapanouse movement. Likely going to need advice with this one as I've never encountered one before. The time works fine, but the chronos aren't functioning. From other photos I found online, the chrono mechanisms are hidden underneath the top plate. And finally, the box-o-parts that contain citizen jet and auto dater parts and pieces. Hopefully a case will fit the Jet I already have that is in the knock off case.

timex1.jpg

chrono1.jpg

chrono3.jpg

citizen 1.jpg

• Like 1

Another project mechanism from the penny lots.

ElginSecondsAtSix1932-4.thumb.jpg.f4b6bb33d4fe165489c442f7868fc963.jpg

A 1932 Elgin watch mechanism. I may already have a case that this would fit. 

ElginSecondsAtSix1932-3.thumb.jpg.e2f7466ebd265993e3f0978f48ff6605.jpg

I have to assume it will most likely need some work on the balance, and it is missing its crown and stem, but otherwise it looks complete, and for well with the 404 rules, I figured it was worth a punt.

331745972_ElginSerialNumber33082544.png.55ae4adcd9fae35254769e7cafed2524.png

http://www.elginnumbers.com/elgin_glossary/#grade

After all, it also has hands, and a fairly legible dial, so it isn't nearly as bad as some of the basket cases I've looked at.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

0.99p worth of gold plated Mondaine.

AsPurchased1.thumb.jpg.f21e714270fec65bb98d0de9593cc2b0.jpg
I get the impression that someone may have applied the "righty tighty, lefty loosey" rule on the wrong screw.

s-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.1898ce282eeca100a6ee6a1d56d2ecd3.jpg

You never know, perhaps that is all that is wrong with it, if not, there is a good chance the balance is OK.

AsPurchased2.thumb.jpg.6683d33e07a2d746e8cb05a287ed3e28.jpg

If it is only the missing screw, I'm sure I'll have a crown and stem, and some hands that should fit.

• Like 1

A bunch of Lanco parts.

I'm hopeful that there will be a balance staff in that lot that will suit the Sonia pocket watch I picked up a while back.

s-l1600.jpg

The box under the Nr. 4456 has a bunch of random stems and staffs in it so if the Nr. 1472 is not suitable, then one of those might be.

Another unloved USSR made Sekonda 17 jewel, with date, no other bids, lined up for potential 404 club membership.

s-l1600.jpg

A clean, service, polish and an attractive leather band, should do wonders for it.

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
These are very under rated watches in my opinion, once serviced, and cleaned, they are solid as the proverbial "brick dunny", and turn in very respectable accuracy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

These are very under rated watches in my opinion, once serviced, and cleaned, they are solid as the proverbial "brick dunny", and turn in very respectable accuracy. 

Couldn't agree more. I bought a mid-1970's Sekonda 19 jewel at a charity shop in Carmarthen in 2009 and it is still as precise as any quartz watch I own today. One of the things I miss most about living in the UK was wandering about Oxfam, Bernardo's, and the Red Cross shops and picking up beautiful watches and breweriana for the cost of a pint. 

After searching for vintage Seiko's on the net I discovered several premium models that were adorned with rice paper dials. Seiko still offers paper dials on their Pressage and Grand Seiko models. I thought, as an experiment I would try making my own paper dial, or at least a paper layer on the dial. I found a cheap seiko 5 to try this on.  Granted,  this may be a fake seiko 5, but I'll still give it a shot. I'll remove all the hardware from the dial, clean and sand it an begin experimenting on pieces of fine paper, including rice paper similar to what Seiko uses. I'll be sure to document and post my trials.

1004321142_kingquartz.thumb.jpg.bce37306090f48dfe8efbe324483ed6c.jpg

Above is a vintage King Quartz with a dial I'll be attempting to replicate (Photo courtesy of google)

Screenshot_20200110-214626_eBay.jpg

This is the cheap Seiko 5 (possibly a fake) that I will perform the experiment on.

Edited by FLwatchguy73

1 hour ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I discovered several premium models that were adorned with rice paper dials. Seiko still offers paper dials on their Pressage and Grand Seiko models. 

The contemporary ones do not use paper, but exquisite paint layering and other tecniques to get to a similar look. Westerners like to call that "snowflake". 

33 minutes ago, jdm said:

The contemporary ones do not use paper, but exquisite paint layering and other tecniques to get to a similar look. Westerners like to call that "snowflake". 

I stand corrected.  I was mislead by information I read.  That snowflake dial is pretty sweet. 

s-l1600.jpg

Another Indian number. A Lorsa P62 based Timestar, probably produced in the 1970s or early eighties in Mumbia, using Feench tooling exported to India by Indo-French Time.

s-l1600.jpg

More details and another earlier example here

It looks to be in need of a good clean, but hopefully that is all. At a whopping 0.99p (no other bids), it should make it in to the 404 club with ease.

13 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Another unloved USSR made Sekonda 17 jewel, with date, no other bids, lined up for potential 404 club membership.

s-l1600.jpg

A clean, service, polish and an attractive leather band, should do wonders for it.

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

A padlock  on the outside? I hope  you never misplace  that key!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I stand corrected.  I was mislead by information I read.  That snowflake dial is pretty sweet. 

This might help in your quest to produce something similar.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/grand-seiko-spring-drive-snowflake-review

Your basic idea of using lacquered paper might actually yield a rather pleasing result. The lacquer layers would have to be very thin to preserve the texture of the paper substrate. Other materials might also work.

I briefly experimented with thin mica sheets and even blue slate, both of which produce some very subtle and interesting textures. The idea never got past the experimental stage though.

I even read some online patents regarding the use of the pearlescent  coating in seashells, and then of course there are the high end watches with meteorite dials..

Edited by AndyHull

s-l1600.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what this is, but obviously it was well within the 404 club rules.

Is it quartz or mechanical?

Is that smoke?

What is the extra button for?

Why is it sitting on a hearth rug? (not included in the sale unfortunately). 

How big is it?

Do I need therapy? 

Edited by AndyHull