Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

s-l1600.jpg

Further Dundee Timex basket case insanity. This time a "Super Thin" (dial code 5180 2368) from 1968.

I made an offer on this one, no prizes for guessing how much, and the seller dropped the price and accepted my offer.

It looks a bit of a mess, and I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but the pictures of the inside look clean, so hopefully the damage is all cosmetic and relatively easily remedied.

Edited by AndyHull

Heading my way on the slow boat from Mumbai, is this little number.

Indo-French-TimestarAsPurchased.thumb.jpg.a27804c39f29f51522d5684c8fb26e2e.jpg

It made it into the club with an exact 404 bid with free shipping. I suspect it may have a French designed Lorsa P62 in it, but given its source, you just never know.

There is an interesting thread about the brand here -> https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/took-chance-indian-timestar-nos-comments-welcome-699648.html

Here is a brief summary.

In the 1960's a group of Bescaçon manufacturers, notably Lorsa, set up, with Indian partners, Indo-French Time Industries Ltd in Bombay, (Mumbai). At this time it appears it was illegal to import complete watches into India, a ban that was lifted in around 1980. In due course Lorsa apparently supplied obsolete tooling for movements and provided much of the expertise needed to produce watches branded Timestar. Indo-French Time were the first company to commence indigenous manufacture of wristwatches in India. A lot of the sales of Timestar watches in the south of India was handled by Gani & Sons, who even changed the name of their branch at Brigade Road Bangalore to the Timestar Service Station of Karnataka.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late in posting as busy with work and holidays. The Waltham arrived in a less than working condition. A broken balance staff a broken upper balance jewel and a diamond endstone cock eyed in the setting, all because of the sellers inadequate packing. Shipped in a tin with only a bit of tissue on the bottom. This from a reputable seller on the bay. Methinks a bit of sellers remorse as i got it for way less than the going rate on these movements.I was offered a full refund which i turned down as the movement is still worth the price.Just a shame to see a movement damaged out of spite...20190928_005310.thumb.jpg.7bdde8147a5f72ef19667cdcbf785e5c.jpg

How not to pack a movement...The seller didn't even care. No tissue on top of the movement even...certainly not the postal services fault.612932801_20190928_005429(2).thumb.jpg.98f7587f723f2b6643cf2fcd41cb373a.jpg20190928_004957.thumb.jpg.69d3cfbaccb1b506415ba5adec83d981.jpg20190928_005012.thumb.jpg.80810a9be8f4d82071802291b8de4edc.jpgHave already got the new balance staff in hand. but need to sort out the jewel issues.

Stuff like this happens to all of us I know...part of playing the game and all that...still ticks me off to no end.

On the plus side the movement is in very good condition appearance wise. Was advertised as running and other than very filthy it should clean up very nicely.

Ron

One I've been after for a while.
Refused to pay the prices being asked. Paid £90 and the seller delivered it straight to George in Berlin.
It was sold as faulty chrono but as soon as George got it to his workroom he stripped it down and found it was merely gunked oil. Strangely enough all case seals look to have been recently replaced.
Full strip, clean and service will be done soon so it can get back to me in the UK before any Brexit shenanigans can kick in.

a67d311ca1b5ccdcf0d9b1ef687fa2aa.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Unknown date Timex. Probably a Marlin. Looks late 60s or very early 70s.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.370041f26029a53aa1ac6022b8809f8f.jpg

No case back, chrome has seen better days, missing watch band and pin,  and evidence of rust in the works.

What's not to love about it. :D

Oh..  "The price?" you ask.. £0.99p

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 9:14 PM, AndyHull said:

It arrived, and it turned out to be a Marlin from 1971. The dial is immaculate, however there is a little corrosion, and the mainspring would not release, so I thought.. "I've got plenty of those, I'll just replace it.. how hard can it be?"

Well extracting it was the first problem. It is fully wound.. and I couldn't release it, so I removed it very gingerly, then I set about fitting its replacement.

Is Timex induced insanity a recognised medical condition I wonder? If not it should be. :(

I've just spent the last hour trying to re-assemble the thing. Every time I get the balance in place, the palette fork moves, once I get those two steady, the escape wheel jumps out of place, I get that back under control and place the other gears, and blow me.. the palette fork is back out of place again. Give me an HMT or a Sekonda or .. well pretty much anything else.. 

This thing is driving me nuts. I've set it aside for the time being.  I will not be beaten though... even if I do end up being carted off to  the  room with the rubber walls, in a suit that buttons up the back, muttering "wibble", repeatedly while rocking backwards and forwards, I'm sure  it will be worth it.

I'll post pictures.. if I ever get it done. :blink:

RIMG0062.thumb.JPG.371aea6d3153cac8e7c148072a50f30b.JPG

Meantime, here is something you don't see every day. A fully wound mainspring.. without an attached watch. Don't stand too close, it might go off at any moment.

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, AndyHull said:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.370041f26029a53aa1ac6022b8809f8f.jpg

No case back, chrome has seen better days, missing watch band and pin,  and evidence of rust in the works.

What's not to love about it. :D

Oh..  "The price?" you ask.. £0.99p

Yes, a 1971 marlin with m24 movement.  

13 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

It arrived, and it turned out to be a Marlin from 1971. The dial is immaculate, however there is a little corrosion, and the mainspring would not release, so I thought.. "I've got plenty of those, I'll just replace it.. how hard can it be?"

Well extracting it was the first problem. It is fully wound.. and I couldn't release it, so I removed it very gingerly, then I set about fitting its replacement.

Is Timex induced insanity a recognised medical condition I wonder? If not it should be. :(

I've just spent the last hour trying to re-assemble the thing. Every time I get the balance in place, the palette fork moves, once I get those two steady, the escape wheel jumps out of place, I get that back under control and place the other gears, and blow me.. the palette fork is back out of place again. Give me an HMT or a Sekonda or .. well pretty much anything else.. 

This thing is driving me nuts. I've set it aside for the time being.  I will not be beaten though... even if I do end up being carted off to  the  room with the rubber walls, in a suit that buttons up the back, muttering "wibble", repeatedly while rocking backwards and forwards, I'm sure  it will be worth it.

I'll post pictures.. if I ever get it done. :blink:

RIMG0062.thumb.JPG.371aea6d3153cac8e7c148072a50f30b.JPG

Meantime, here is something you don't see every day. A fully wound mainspring.. without an attached watch. Don't stand too close, it might go off at any moment.

ok so the trick to keeping the pallet fork in place is the balance wheel.  By that I mean you back off the brass vconic screw adjacent to the regulator.  This allows the staff to fall on to the plate when updise down .  Than enguge the pallet finger on the jewel.  zip zipp and your off.   okay it still tricky but this will help you alot.....

• Like 2