Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

I picked up another unsung hero of the horology world, a genuine Casio F-91W (and a fake counterpart for comparison).

AsPurchased2.jpg.d3317b6f97c7ef22fe2c48f90c006730.jpg

The new fake cost £1.99 shipped from some dubious source in China, so time will tell if that was a wise purchase.

FakeAsPurchased.thumb.jpg.7d378ceedcd9d85e10f119efcec434e4.jpg

The genuine Casio came in slightly more expensive, but was still priced well within the rules of the 404 club.

Another bargain bin HMT - this time a Kohinoor.

AsPurchased2.jpg.7813c9ad1df293bc3e344e4db70a4ce0.jpg

It looks like a nice clean example with no frankne-nonsense. No doubt in need of a service (and a new strap).

I blew the budget slightly for this one, but I think it was worth the extra quid.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

The world's scruffiest and thus, one of the world's cheapest Timex Marlins from 1978.

The seller claims it "runs sometimes", so running all of the time will be the first priority, followed by a complete cosmetic overhaul.

AsPurchased2.jpg.1922581edeb44a4d08cb00a1872fb1e3.jpg

I suspect the hair-puller band may be for the bin too, but I'll make a call on that when I see it. I think the previous owner may have spent some time painting "stuff", including  it seems, the crystal.

Edited by AndyHull

• 2 weeks later...

AsPurchased2.jpg.ab82299b3a961930deda825e89417687.jpg

What can I say?

Its Saturday. Its raining, so I have an excuse to not be doing the garden.

My slow, horologically indulgent decline in to ebay induced penury continues.

Two quid for a scruffy marlin of indeterminate age (nor working, naturally), with some rather obvious corrosion and a completely knackered steel hair puller strap.

How could I possibly resist?

Got another Waltham Vangaurd movement coming. When will the madness end. Gold settings and diamond end stones sooo hard to resist. Have a few nice cases looking for movements... Still need to find a side wider for my hunter case though...s-l1600.jpg.Ron

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 94marconi said:

Got another Waltham Vangaurd movement coming. When will the madness end. Gold settings and diamond end stones sooo hard to resist. Have a few nice cases looking for movements... Still need to find a side wider for my hunter case though...s-l1600.jpg.Ron

A handsome piece, and an engineering marvel. Don't forget to post some pictures when you have it in its new case. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

An HMT Jawan with Hindi script dial, advertised as "The worst watch on ebay..." How could I possibly resist?

WorstWatchOnEbayAsPurchased2.jpg.ec2af32a52f46a44d4b94c9a1e31e821.jpg

It was purchased by the seller as a Ghandi dialed HMT.  This is what the poor guy received instead. Apparently it kinda works, but the hands wont set. To my mind, that makes it one of the better watches I've picked up, considering the state of some of the poor wrecks I've fixed up.  The non moving hands intrigues me. I wonder what delights from the back streets of Mumbai are lurking in the stem or keyless work.

No matter, I have enough donors with frankendials to get it working regardless of the issue. I've been looking for an archetypal Hindi dial HMT for the 404 club and here it is. The fact that it is the worst watch on ebay is a bit of a bonus.:lol:

I may actually start a thread for "The worst watch on ebay" when it arrives. I'm pretty sure most of you can think of some very worthy candidates for that particular accolade.

30 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

An HMT Jawan with Hindi script dial, advertised as "The worst watch on ebay..." How could I possibly resist?

WorstWatchOnEbayAsPurchased2.jpg.ec2af32a52f46a44d4b94c9a1e31e821.jpg

It was purchased by the seller as a Ghandi dialed HMT.  This is what the poor guy received instead. Apparently it kinda works, but the hands wont set. To my mind, that makes it one of the better watches I've picked up, considering the state of some of the poor wrecks I've fixed up.  The non moving hands intrigues me. I wonder what delights from the back streets of Mumbai are lurking in the stem or keyless work.

No matter, I have enough donors with frankendials to get it working regardless of the issue. I've been looking for an archetypal Hindi dial HMT for the 404 club and here it is. The fact that it is the worst watch on ebay is a bit of a bonus.:lol:

I may actually start a thread for "The worst watch on ebay" when it arrives. I'm pretty sure most of you can think of some very worthy candidates for that particular accolade.

Jawan means young, dosn,t include over fifty.:D

18 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Forever young... you know what they say, "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional." :P

Okay! Good one. Oh will you let us know what movement in jawan. Work horse expectedly. A New inexpensive one available, back hasn,t been open.

Regards

5 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Okay! Good one. Oh will you let us know what movement in jawan. Work horse expectedly. A New inexpensive one available, back hasn,t been open.

Regards

Given its pedigree, there could be almost anything in this one. I expect it will be an HMT 0231

I have a couple of suitable donors if parts are required.

HMT_0231.jpg

Time will tell. I'll let you all know when it arrives.

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2019 at 1:45 AM, AndyHull said:

... also this  - "not a watch" - for 0.99p -

BatyGaugeAsPurchased.thumb.jpg.c9d501b85eb5ea4af77b092fe34d673c.jpg

... and a pivot gauge.

... and a couple of little "Futters of London" Miniature G Clamps (all 0.99p)

... now where is the "off" button for this ebay thingummy, its costing me a fortune. :huh:

Mounts by screw on the back, you zero as mounted. Good clean and oil is Generally all it needs. Could be collectible.

You can pick up a cheap knock off dial indicator for around £10 GBP, but this one is a good UK manufacturer, and a comparable new one retails for around £50 to £100, so if it works, 0.99p is a bargain. The only down side is that it is imperial and I would have preferred metric, however its pretty easy to calculate one from the other.

I'm hoping it just needs a clean and a drop of oil. It looks, cosmetically sound, but you never know, it might be a pile of rust inside. I'll let you know when I collect it. It, and a couple of other recent purchases  are currently lying unopened in my office, and I am working from home. I should be in the office probably next week some time.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, 94marconi said:

i belive the only thing you need to make one is a "side winder dial"  ?  vin

• 4 weeks later...

AsPurchased.thumb.jpg.220d49edf704ac0b2ce2032690796ca4.jpg

The styling of this little Kienzle alarm clock caught my eye.

£1 -  "cheap at half the price" I hear you cry.  

It is in a job lot  bundle of other stuff, described as  "Watch Bundle"  including some garbage fashion watches, that strange, unidentifiable black plastic "thing" and a Timex quartz that is probably also worth a quid.

A quartz Kienzle has been waking me up for the last 20 years or so, despite being dropped on the floor many times,  so lets hope this one has the same Teutonic robustness.

I thought it might provide a little entertainment, and who knows, I might even be able to strip and clean it without having to resort to breaking out the tiny screwdrivers and the big gun magnification. I'll keep you all posted of course.

13 hours ago, AndyHull said:

... that strange, unidentifiable black plastic "thing"..

...the strange, unidentifiable black plastic "thing"  just happens to be an unworn, still with the manufacturer's protective film on the LCD - Adidas adp6055, so while I didn't have the time to look at the newly arrived Keinzle alarm clock, I did have a spare moment to pop a new CR2016 in to the "black plastic thing".

Now why you would pay the full RRP of  £44.99, for this "thing" I'm not quite sure. Even the £20.00 which most resellers are asking for seems pretty steep when you can get a whole range of Casio's for that kind of money what are actually far better value.

It does seem to get good online reviews, but I would suggest that "quirky" display could get a little irritating, very rapidly.

It is almost illegible, indoors,  unless you press the backlight button, whereupon it lights up blue with blue letters on a blue background for about half a second then goes back to illegible again.

This is not a fault, apparently all of the versions I saw online look exactly the same.

RIMG0148.thumb.JPG.cdbe71c903bec13d2ec1869077810da5.JPG

RIMG0149.thumb.JPG.9590448243c423e30a49514f73bd8f1c.JPG

Furthermore the online manual is about as clear as mud...

https://www.argos-support.co.uk/storage/uploads/5398951_D001-84298.pdf?direct

.. give me a Casio any day.

All that said,  I guess it qualifies for membership of the 404 club, given that it came basically free with a Keinzle alarm clock. :D