Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

21 hours ago, AndyHull said:

.. and finally on my very slow slide in to horologicaly induced  bankruptcy..  six quid + p&p secured this lot.

s-l1600.jpg

That's the biggest loupe I've ever seen on the right, you must have enormous eyes!

:D

Eye Spy'd with my one enormous eye, on the junk pike that is ebay... another potential member of the somewhat random 404 club.

AsPurchasedCloseup.jpg.a39b1e16719baf61c95b4a5c237830b7.jpg

In addition to a full clean and service, It will need a crown and stem at the very least, and most likely the careful removal of some low level radioactive waste (though I will probably leave the stuff still attached to the dial alone, at least for the time being).

It is unquestionably more refined than the "sausage watch" and Mr Mao, and for a whopping £3.55 + P&P probably worth it for the scrap value of the case alone. But fear not, I have no intention of melting it down.

Now can any of the experts tell me what the caliber is, to save me a heap of head scratching and googling?

AsPurchasedCloseupCaseBack.thumb.jpg.7169fce2b954ee8a9b8e9389199ac2fd.jpg

AsPurchasedCloseupRear.jpg.16f73b0b34a80babd9fcc4d8412c1c88.jpg

• Like 2

Oooh a nicely radioactive trenchy.

Make sure you don't lick the dial and hands and if you plan to service it with full hazmat suit, please video it, I'd love to watch it. 

On another note, is there anything less refined than the sausage watch? :lol:

A bit of a classic Timex. So much so that Timex recently released a Snoopy version of the new Miyota automatic based Marlins, and a bunch of other self homages in the Peanuts Charlie Brown, Snoopy & Friends range.

AsPurchased2.thumb.jpg.69dd0e7952e5b96c8b1f626f1485dac3.jpg

This more petite version, I'm guessing from the mid seventies, is the one I remember from my childhood, blue dial and all.
It is heading in my direction as a "non runner" (no surprises there), and I was the only bid at £1.93

Edited by AndyHull

I've placed my usual derisory bid on a number of "Kander" watches, over the last few months, and finally I was successful, securing this 21 jewel non runner.

AsPurchased.jpg.22eeca5d887471f0dd57c0e8f656cd02.jpg

What-er watches? I hear you cry. 

Kander - named after the river that works its way from the glaciers high up in the Berner Alps, past the now sadly defunct watchmaker's former home of Frutigen (postcard below). This relatively small maker like many others bit the dust in the "quartz crisis" in the 1980s.

552926.jpg

Now most people have probably never heard of the Kander river, nor would they associate the mountain peaks on the watch maker's logo with anything in particular, but in fact they most likely represent the two peaks in the background on the right of the postcard, which dominate the view from the village. 

How do I know?

Simple, I climbed the Balmhorn when I was around fifteen in 1979, and later completed the Balmhorn Altels  traverse (climbing the Balmhorn crossing that obvious ridge in the picture to the Altels and descended from there), about ten years later, and have been through Frutigen many times, though not for a good few years now.

Edited by AndyHull

I found this info online.

Schweizer Uhrenmarke

Hans Schafroth gründete in Frutigen im Berner Oberland in den 1960er Jahren das Unternehmen "Uhrenfabrik Kander AG".

Das Markenzeichen der Uhrenmarke "Kander" sind 3 Berge, bei welchen es sich anscheinend um die Berge rund um das Blüemlisalp handelt.

Die Firma wurde in den 80er abgewickelt aufgrund der Schweizer Uhrenkrise und am 17.06.1983 aus dem Handelsregister gelöscht.

Which translates to -

Swiss watch brand

Hans Schafroth founded the company "Uhrenfabrik Kander AG" in Frutigen in the Bernese Oberland in the 1960s.

The trademark of the watch brand "Kander" are 3 mountains, which seem to be the mountains around the Blüemlisalp.

The company was wound up in the 80s due to the Swiss watch crisis and was deleted from the commercial register on 17.06.1983.

I think they are mistaken about the logo, since it shows two mountains not three, and the Blüemlisalp massif is kind of round the corner out of site of the main village so far as I recall, although you can possibly see the Fründenhorn

10 hours ago, Johnnie said:

As per photo it is in need of a screw

Just in case you didn't know, and to save a lot of frustration, I think you're going to need a left hand threaded screw for that.

• Like 1

New arrival, runs and stops after 30 ish seconds. No name. Movement says 15jewels & Swiss made. The only other mark I can find is a very small indentation with a X in it. Can't really see in photos but it's about a quarter of an inch from the winder. 

IMG_20190622_182334.jpg

IMG_20190622_183248.jpg

IMG_20190622_182258.jpg

• Like 1

That is a lovely looking watch and it’s radio controlled which I’m guessing means if you can’t find it you just grab the controls and it comes to you......

I’ll get my coat [emoji4]

And drop the mic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Diane" - Antichoc - another 404 club candidate. It looks fairly clean and unworn, so hopefully a service and polish will be all that is required.

AsPurchased2.jpg.198a1fb44e1f4544691a1b4aac06c13b.jpg

Probably a low jewel count pin lever, possibly of German origin, judging by the few other Diane branded watches I found online, but I'll need to wait till it arrives to find out as there were no movement shots. I hope there is nothing fishy inside. ;¬)

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2