The Avia Arrived

Mark

I purchased this off eBay and it came all the way from Oz.

post-1-0-61505200-1396969768_thumb.jpg

So it's completely jammed up. A little rust found so far but the wheels are jammed solid. Hopefully no bent teeth.

It's a Landeron149 and i'm looking forward to getting this baby working.

post-1-0-14718800-1396969766_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent Mark, I was wondering when you would get it. No issues with import tax I hope?

I got one from Oz two weeks ago without any problems.

No problem - they declared it as a broken watch for spares and put the value at $30

I would snap up that barrel as there cannot be too many knocking about

Yup - I ordered one immediately.

Just sent the dial to David Bill for restoration as it is too corroded to save. It's a shame as I would prefer it to be factory original.

Mr Lovick - hope you don't mind me asking - roughly how much is David Bill likely to charge for a dial restoration for your Avia? I have a sad looking omega which could do with smartening up....

The quote is £85+vat

I had my Omega done by them last year and that was around £60 plus Vat. http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/198-1960s-omega-seamaster-my-little-baby/

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the dial back from David Bill and it looks great. It now has a blue tach. instead of an orange but they explained this beforehand and I agreed. Not identical to original but looks fantastic all the same. They did a Festina for me at the same time:

post-1-0-20794400-1398335987_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That`s remarkable,  it would be very interesting to know how they do it.  Maybe take a high resolution picture,  clean it up through software and reprint onto dial minus batons.  The other way would be to have a database of every dial ever made,  unlikely. However they do it, it's very clever.

That`s remarkable,  it would be very interesting to know how they do it.  Maybe take a high resolution picture,  clean it up through software and reprint onto dial minus batons.  The other way would be to have a database of every dial ever made,  unlikely. However they do it, it's very clever.

Maybe someone will correct me on this but I am quite sure they have printing plates made up going back decades.

Maybe someone will correct me on this but I am quite sure they have printing plates made up going back decades.

This is what I was told by International Dial in the US. They have over 10,000 printing plates of various styles, names, fonts and about everything else having ever been printed on a dial using the Pad Printing process. And, if they don't have what you need, it's pretty easy for them to create a new plate with the requested design...

They are never Identical! but always impressive! IMO.

The only negative feedback I've ever heard was someone whos dial read "Oysterdate" & it came back "Oyster Date"

I must admit - that would annoy me too :)

• 3 weeks later...