Seiko Diver 4205 015T Hairspring Required

tpt

Hi Bob.

I have a series of pictures of the strip down. But it's all back together now and lubricated (aside from the balance.) 

would the pictures be any use to you?

regards

Tim

Absolutely, Tim! It would be one more movement for all of us...and it just happens I'm working on a couple of them -- so far disassembly only -- so maybe with your experience and pictures on the subject and my pictures and whatever I can add -- and learn from you while at it - it may become a star walkthrough. what do you say?

The balance seems to be the Achilles talon for those. I got both in "intensive care" and will try to straighten them fro spaghetti to an approximation of what they should be. It is an ambitious goal considering my little experience that side of the spring spectrum. 

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I've successfully given new life to 1 or 2 hairsprings thanks to Mark's fantastic films in the short time I've been learning. But I think the Seiko 4205 is just too small and tightly coiled to expect much success. 

I'm happy to post the series of strip down pictures somewhere for others to view. Can you tell me perhaps what I need to do? and where I need to do it so you can add to it?

best

Tim

Sure Tim! I would start with a new topic in the walkthrough section say: "4502 walkthrough" or any name you actually like. Then I would, with support of the pictures you have, write about what you did and interesting/tricky parts you believe should be noted/pointed out. Think novice, since there are all sort of levels visiting that can benefit from your explanation. As promised, if I can (new movement for me), I would add anything with your permission.

Make sure you are in the "more reply options" (bottom right button next to "post") so you can download and add the pictures where you need them.

Cheers,

Bob

I have another 4205 waiting for work to begin. I would be happy to contribute when I get cracking with it. I have a few photos from a previous overhaul but they are not very good quality as they were just meant as an aid for me when it came to the rebuild.

Unfortunately I am not working in very good light and most of it takes place in the evening anyway. I am looking for a small tripod or copy stand so that I can avoid the shakes that occur when taking photos hand held.

Tim

I will send the balance off in the post tomorrow for you.

In the meantime here is a link to a 4205 restoration thread on the Seiko and Citizen Watch Forum (SCWF that was carried out by "Transporter".  It's probably as good as you'll get so it will be of assistance. "Transporter" is also a member on this site so I am sure he won't mind.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/20-mod-restoration-reviews-how-i-modded-restored-my-watch/151810-ladies-4205-0140-restoration-project.html

Sorry, posted link to the 2nd page at first.

Edited by Davey57
  • Like 1

Sorry everyone, I think a walk through should probably be posted by someone who; A. has more experience. B. know's and can remember what all the parts are called. and C. didn't balls it up.

I'm sticking to larger movements. me and the 4205 have fallen out. It's going to be a permanent separation I feel.

all the best

Tim

Edited by tpt