Avoid Small Parts Flying

danizzz

I'm working in replacing a spring in the balance incablock, the spring that holds in place the jewel on the balance.

The last time I tried the spring literally flew away.

Is there a technique or a protector to avoid small parts fly away forever?

Edited by danizzz
  • Like 1

The bag/clingfilm tectonics work BUT I find them a hindrance when working with them. Once bitten twice shy I always, always when loosening a click spring to remove a jewel I steady with a piece of sharp peg wood so when it is released it does not spring & fly.

The best way of fitting is to modify & shape a sharp piece of peg wood to once again to hold steady whilst fitting.

• Like 2

So did I. I've lost a spring of the Incabloc while trying to put it back to the cap.

Later I found that it'd better to use No2 tweezer instead of No5. By the way, the price of the springs are not comfortable, 3$ for the lower and 6$ for upper (ofrei).

I forgot to mention on my recent reply to this post is I have found (through many mishaps & many attempts) is to make sure everything is spotlessly clean, tweezers,pin, peg wood etc.

BUT also make sure that the spring is not magnetised. They are supplied in plastic pouches & although plastic keeps items nice & clean it is notorious for creating static. These springs are incredibly sensitive the least bit of grease or static & it is just an impossible task to fit.

Another help for the really small springs is a microscope. 

If the spring flew when just re-locating a jewel then the spring was either not seated correctly or damaged.

• Like 1

If it is incabloc should not fly. Incabloc has a hinge that prevents falling out. If is Seiko antichoc system or similar you can manipulate its spring without lifting the twizers from it as you can see in this video I made.

• Like 1

I use much the same method, with resetting the spring once you get 2 legs set you pretty well have it under control if you work gently, that said I was working on a Seiko clone yesterday and it was a different fish all together, either the spring is too small or the groove is too deep but even with 2 legs in it was still not secure, talk about a pain.Don't think I have ever spent so much time getting one installed.

Max

A set of good tweezers is a must when handling delicate parts..eg hairsprings, inca-springs..

You can try all the tricks above (and do help..!) but if you're tweezers are still not up to the mark you will still have problems.

After hitting the 'buy' button on that high end tweezer you may feel some regret/doubt but once you try them the difference is like night and day.

Anil

• Like 1

Well, I found the wayward Novodiac spring for a second time; it was hiding in my glasses case. I used an extendable magnet that I bought to get small metal things out of piano actions but it works for watch parts too.

You are right about good tools. I always got the better tools for working on pianos; yes, more expensive, but it makes all the difference and ends a lot of frustration.

Wise advice.