Question About Watch Repair Shenanigans

So word has spread around work that I change batteries, crystals and some other odds and ends.  In 90% of the cases it is quartz watches I see around the University.  Normally, I fill out a sheet in front of the person, mostly about the condition, as one of the first watches I was asked to look at (over a year ago now) was a Rolex DateJust.  I've known the person for years and they purchased this Used while overseas.  Thank God I opened the watch in front of them (to fill out my sheet), to be honest it felt not right from the get-go in my hands;  Flimsy, hollow- and wow...... FAKE!  The guy starts flipping out and accusing me of replacing the movement with a fake one.  I was a bit scared at first- then he started threatening me with calling the police.  Things did get sorted out, without the police, and I've become a bit leery of high end watches. Since then, I've been religious filling out my sheet- well, until I had a student with a pile of crap Fossil that needed a new crystal.  I've changed 10-15 Fossil crystals in the past year now and this girl said she had no time to wait while I filled the sheet out and left.  Well, I get it home and see this huge dent and deep scratch on the back of the watch- it was on a one-piece leather band.  Couple days later I give the student her watch back and an hour later get this nasty message.  After days of arguing I finally broke down and replaced her so called "$200" watch her parent gave as a gift with the same one for less than $40 shipped- found online.

So why am I writing this long winded post? What do you guys do to avoid these situations?

Thanks,

Dan B.

ChecklistCustomer.docx(1).pdf

Very good point, Dan,

I usually fix other people's watches but since they are all friends and I examine what they bring me in front of them -- I make a point to tell them it is not a business but a hobby -- I have not run into such problems...and my fees are probably too modest. 

If I was doing it as a business, I would say, I'd start with a disclaimer they will be subject to sign first and then I would go with the checklist. Since I don't get a lot of volume or expensive watches, I can't really tell by experience so I'll be curious to know what an actual business -- or an established watchmaker's -- standard procedure would be.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

i've never thought about the downsides of this hobby. those stories are horrifying, dan.

i wonder if it would make sense to open the watch in front of the customer to make sure it's a legit watch. photos might be a good idea also.

i remember years ago in the sixties, my mom and grandmother were talking about the local small town jeweler. at the time they thought he stole the jewels out of my grandmother's watch. i can see now that it wouldn't make sense for a jeweler to do such a thing. they obviously thought that they were real, mountable jewels.

• Like 1

I would turn the watch over, front and back - in front of them - while photographing it, also in front of them, with a compact camera. If they can't be bothered to spare the time for that, hand it straight back and walk away. If they ask why it's so important, explain the situation. It may even be advisable to open the case in front of them and do the same, but that may not always be convenient.

A signed disclaimer is also useful - but then it's starting to become a business...

• Like 4

How dishonest can people be. I must say in all the time I had in fixing watches and clocks I never came across anything like this. All I did was point out to customers the poor condition that the item might have and mark it down on there ticket receipt along with the est of the repair.   

• Like 1

I only help out friends and acquaintances, but I still point out any blemishes and explain that there is always the slightest chance of marking the case when it is opened. I haven't marked a case yet, but saying there is the slightest possibility allows them to change there mind easily, and God forbid that I caused a slight mark, they wouldn't be surprised.

The most annoying thing that has happened, was when one of my wife's friends insinuated that I had swapped watch boxes. She said that the box was in pristine condition and also had spare links in it. Needless to say I was less than chuffed and told her in no uncertain terms that it was her box, and that there were no links when I received it. I told her to send it to Tag the next time!

• Like 2

Hey

Usually fix friends watches for people I know and do not know. The best thing 2 do is take a picture of the watch front and back. The cell phone will automatically date and give a location of where and when the photo was taken. Take the photo in the present of the person. This comes in handy......

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

Like Lots of folk I only do stuff for relatives and close friends and have been lucky not to get any grief.

Sometimes I do wonder if I am nuts, I just got a Quartz from a friend and he apparently got it in Aldi at Christmas for a fiver as a gift for his girlfriend but it keeps stopping. Sometimes I am lost for words and the first three things I was going to say had to be cancelled before they got out of my mouth the fourth thing was why not just take it back and get a refund ! I ended up bringing it home and I will try to sort it out - I believe the idea is you get good Karma for helping folks out. However, if any of them try it on they know the watch will need surgical removal - but that's to be expected from us Geordies ( and probably Scots as well eh George )

Cheers

Vic

• Like 1

Normally, I fill out a sheet in front of the person, mostly about the condition, as one of the first watches I was asked to look at (over a year ago now) was a Rolex DateJust.  I've known the person for years and they purchased this Used while overseas.  Thank God I opened the watch in front of them (to fill out my sheet), to be honest it felt not right from the get-go in my hands;  Flimsy, hollow- and wow...... FAKE!  The guy starts flipping out and accusing me of replacing the movement with a fake one.  I was a bit scared at first- then he started threatening me with calling the police.

You have been dealing with somebody that was unstable and unable to deal with negative news, no matter for how many years you have know him/her.. I wouldn't be worried for a next time, the operative word once accused of crime.. mention slander and the penalties associated. People in their right mind back off immediately, others are served with justice.

And all the other comments are right on the spot.

• Like 1

Thanks guys-

I think one of the greatest hurdles for me  is where I work.....  The University is in the top ten in the world- but that also means they like strange people.  Like me- I'm the one that sees something broken and has to fix it e.g. microtomes, crytostats, microscopes, shakers, old fashion lab timers, etc)  :D

Thanks for the input,

Dan B.

• Like 2

I can change and shorten metal bracelet bands, I can polish a plastic lens and even a mineral glass lens (I have a buffer and the right materials for such) but I only do this stuff for family and friends and even then on the proviso that if anything breaks I don't get the blame.

I think you should photograph everything in front of the customer as WillFly suggested above.  Then there can be no argument as to the condition of the watch before you take it on for a repair.  Sadly these days there are quite a few people who like to scam others at each and every turn.  

+1 for photographing everything, and giving them a receipt.

Also, never write "rolex" or "omega" on your receipt - always write something like "watch labelled rolex" or something similar!

That sounds like great advice!