Tools For The Beginner

Alienfox

Hi, I am new to horology and I am hoping to fix a couple of watches that I have won on ebay, cheap so if I screw up it's no loss, so with this in mind I watched the tutorial by Mark on cleaning a Rotary mechanical watch, really nice easy to follow tutorial, which brings me to a couple of questions.

I have most of the tweezers, screw drivers and basic tools, but in Part 2 of the tutorial he uses: 1. A Steaking Block, 2. A Steaking Set.  3. A Rolo Remover, my question is this, are these tools nessasary? are there alternatives to these tools, I know at some point I will need a main spring winder but that will have to wait as money is an issue at the moment.

Can anyone help with the above, and while I'm on the subject of money (lack of) are there any alternetives to the exspensive Mobeous Oils & Greases.

All lot of questions I know, but I really am looking forward to striping and rebuilding some watches, so I can have a go at my Grandfathers Ingersol pocket watch when I am confident enough.

Thanks.  Den.

Hi Den,

Welcome to the forum. First of all, you don't need a staking tool et al right away. I'd say that's advanced stuff. Concentrate on tweezers control, handling the movement and individual parts, inspecting for defects/wear, and based on your observations, troubleshoot and eventually fix (with spare parts available from donor movements and/or suppliers). Later, when budget and experience permit, you can choose a staking tool and a jeweling tool and other more advance tools that require more practice, care and money.

As far as oil, search our site for lubricant posts. You will find some suggestions and ideas. I personally use mostly Moebius and Seiko and they are expensive but considering what you will use, it is almost a one time expense...if you don't consider expiration date.

I would say, check the "density" chart available somewhere here and prices. I'm almost about to say that you may get Moebius equivalents for pennies...or for practicing, it will not be the oil what you should worry about but how you oil. Look into Novodiac and Nye oils among others.

In any case, those are skills to be learned and practiced so the outcome with the real movement and materials will be perfect.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any foolproof method of removing/replacing Novodiac springs without paying $60 for the tool?

I made a tool from pegwood and I am trying to muster up the courage to use it. It has 3 small nubs on it to fit between the spring and turn it out from under the cleats. It should work - I hope.

One of the main problems I have is keeping the 18x loupe attached to my glasses focussed on the job - I pretend I'm George Daniels. Perhaps that's my main problem. ;-)

Dave

• Like 1

Hi

I used to have a friend who lived in Kent. He moved to the lake district of France - somewhere near Cognac. I always thought that was a wise move.

In any case, I found the little rat hiding in the keyless works. 

I've also made a few inquiries as to where I might buy such things nearer than California. I'm in Saskatchewan, a ways away...

Thank you for your advice. It was due to that advice that I found the spring.

Dave