Help Needed For A Suter 17 Jewel

A family member dropped off this Suter watch today and asked if I could get it working. I quickly removed the case back and it started working right away. I put the back on and flipped it over and it stopped.....? After playing with it for a few I thought that there was pressure from the back pushing on and stopping the movement but then I noticed that with the back off it stops when turned right side up or as you would wear it. What could be going on here? I am attaching some pics. The movement says. SU641

I also noticed the crystal is badly scratched and would like to replace it. It measures 15mm OD. It is also missing its gasket measuring 18mm. Those may be easy to find but I haven't looked yet. Just want to make sure I can get it to run first. post-56-0-87925400-1396564338_thumb.jpgpost-56-0-88439400-1396564355_thumb.jpgpost-56-0-09186100-1396564389_thumb.jpg

At first glance, the jewel on the incabloc that is visible, appears to not be locked in properly. This could result in the jewel sitting off slightly in its setting and causing the problem that you described. Before going any further pop the locking clip (left hand side as looking at the photograph) in properly and see if that cures the problem. This may just have been an optical illusion due to the angle at which the photograph has been taken. As it is an old watch, it possibly requires a strip down and clean anyway.

Regarding the crystal if you cannot source a new one, you could carefully polish out the scratches and re- finish it. I do this a lot when refurbishing watches, it is time consuming, but excellent results can be achieved.

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

I've had this problem on a couple of watches - stopping in one position and running fine in the other - and both times it turned out to be a jewel problem.

Edited by WillFly

As Geo stated, the incabloc spring is not located. This will cause the incabloc to be off kilter.

I could be wrong but that glass looks like a mineral glass. Tap it gently with your tweezers, does it sound like glass or perspex?