Haller Clock Movement Not Chiming

transporter

Ok guys im going at full speed at the moment, not only am I sorting out broken teeth and a bent arbor on one movement, im also working on pocket watch (smiths) but I've just been working on a Haller movement today, my question is this, its not chiming, it started to sound the quarter hours then then half hours, then when it got to the 3 quarter hour chime it would do a full chime minus the hour chime, now it's stopped chiming completely, im kinda stumped and won't be looking at it until the morning so plenty of time for any suggestions as to the problem. Cheers

Need some pics of the movement. I have worked on Haller 400 day clocks but not chimers. Most clocks with a chime sequence have either a snail wheel or a count wheel. These are to give the varying amount of chimes required for the hours. However if it strikes on the 1/4 as well then it will also have a 4 leafed cam of some sort.

I'll post up some pics in the morning mate, ill whip the movement out the case then and run it on the bench to see if anything is a miss, mines an 8 day 3 train movement with one Set of hammers on the left side of the movement. Marked Haller with P R underneath, to the right of this it has the pendulum length (12cm) and a figure under that which at the moment I can't remember exactly what it is.

Ok here's some pictures of the movement

62BE8B6E-EF08-4C5B-B1C3-714263D5DF3B_zps

AF97EDFB-E874-45F1-9460-A38CC825693E_zps

5367DF7A-F7FA-4A67-A6B7-21BF5792A1DB_zps

56864B15-73E7-46BC-BC54-835A2A78D64B_zps

1B2F3027-1AFF-41B6-A8FD-66651EC30C78_zps

Hope you can see them ok, the movement ran all night abit fast (half hour) by the morning which I'll sort by adjusting the pendulum length. It didn't chime once during the night so I'm wondering if there is a silent lever or something amiss, since ive taken it out the case this morning the hammers are now striking, maybe I've moved something whilst handling the movement this morning???

It seems as though the warning is not functioning correctly. It could be the warning pins are bent/missing or the movement just needs cleaning & lubing. I have added pic to show where these pins are located. 

post-234-0-56620400-1451581445_thumb.jpg

Also this vid shows the basics of how striking clocks work. All striking clocks are variants of this.

Cheers mate, ill look in the next couple of days, strange thing is the warning does sound, but I will listen properly to see if it does when it should, if not I'll look at it more in depth, either way I'll let you know how it goes. Off to the celebrations now, happy new year to you and all.

Hi Transporter, here's one of my Hallers  you can use for comparison, I notice yours has the chime/silent lever missing !  ( the silver lever in 3 o'clock area ) , 

it might be worth checking to see if any part of the mechanism is stuck/in the wrong place ?,  hope this helps. :)

post-31-0-28290900-1451830878_thumb.jpg

A time goes by, many thanks mate, mine is indeed missing thar part, didn't even notice. Ive looked in the movement and can't see anything that it connects to, only on the front of the movement where it lifts the rack mechanism, its quite weird as the chime hammers work quite happily out the case ( as far as I can tell) its when I mount it in the case that they seem to stop, im thinking something could be fouling the reverse of the case where the clock face is, and in turn stopping the chiming mechanism from moving correctly.

Do a process of work like this. Take all the chiming stuff of the movement. Check the play in the wheels, does it need re bushing, is the spring all right. Start building the chime back checking every part as you go. You will soon find what part is wrong and why it isn't working properly. With these movements the spring barrels are separate from the train works.

Cheers mate, had it running a treat last night, chiming correctly (although not on time as I didn't set it) anyway it chimed correctly for two hours then on the 3rd hour it started to chime, and continued to chime ( I took the chimes away from the hammers after 38 chimes continously ) any idea why it would continually chime?

It sounds to me that not all the chime mechanism is in line with each other. Make sure that when the chime has finished its sequence drops down and is stopped and caught by the locking on the wheel that has a pin. I expect the two are not in order with each other and it's what is known as tripping over to the next stage of chiming. I hope this is clear for you.