Sunburst Dials

Hello everyone,

I would like to open this topic (I didn’t find it in the forum) dedicated to sunburst dials.

post-1638-0-69035100-1451400896_thumb.jp

Here I will post any information I find for these dials which I find for useful.

Also I would like to ask you if you have any knowledge, links, info etc. about techniques for producing of these beautiful pieces of art.

For me the dial is that element that gives most for the overall look of the watch. Creating beautiful and stylish dial I find really for kind of art.

So any info (but also for other dial painting and effects techniques) are appreciated.

Best regards,

Martin,

• Like 1

Ok, actually I found that it is pretty hard to find clear information about the technique of creating sunburst effect on dials. There are some articles (and forum publications) that explain more or less the process. The common information that can be found is that the sunburst effect on the dial is done not with paint but with polishing the brass in certain way, namely from the center to the edge, of the dial, using discs with plastic brushes, pad or very fine grinding tools. Diamond paste is a must.

Here you can see a video from a Breitling factory where at 2:45 min for very short period you can see the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFHVdxWNDc

The dial is mounted on spindle that is rotating slowly, while the disc with brushes has higher speed.

Here below there is a picture of the machine.

For the enthusiast I will say that it doesn’t looks like so difficult to build such a machine.

Later I will publish other articles that I’m finding for interesting related with the topic for the dials.

Best regards,

Martin,

post-1638-0-84552700-1451511045_thumb.jp

• Like 3

An interesting topic. I had a silver metal dial with applied 9ct gold numerals where the original print had almost vanished. After cleaning I applied a sunburst effect by hand using a glass-fiber brush. The effect is acceptable but with a mechanical device it could be much better. The sunburst is difficult to photograph as it relies on reflections. Here is a poor photo of this dial. In normal view it looks much better.

post-374-0-52935800-1451565964_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

It looks like a production machine that is built by an internal technical department.

EnamelDial, I had problems following your facebook links. Also the image in your last post is not visible for me. :unsure:

Edited by Vacherin

3 hours ago, EnamelDial said:

W Polsce ta maszyna jest do zdobycia za 1000-1500 usd. To maszyna do wykonania szlifu slonecznego

Google translate turns that into...

In Poland, this machine can be obtained for 1000-1500 usd. This is a machine for making a sun cut

But I’m not sure which machine you mean or where you’d buy for that kind of price? Is that new or used?