Watch Photography

The digital revolution has made it so much easier nowadays to make, store and share graphic images - including our beloved watches. What did we do before the internet and digital cameras! I have a Fuji digital camera which I bought quite a few years ago now - it's an "F10" model with 6.3 megapixels - and it takes excellent pictures of watches when the lens setting is switched to "macro". What people tend to forget with digital cameras is that it's not necessarily the number of pixels that gives a good picture - it's also, and more importantly, the quality of the lens. Fuji do excellent lenses so, although this camera is quite old by modern standards, without a lot of add-ons and doodads, the all-important lens quality is excellent.

I'm also impressed by the quality of the macro photography in Mark's videos. My own digital video camera - which I use for my YouTube music videos - is a Sony HD. Not an expensive one, nor a particularly sophisticated one. The sound recording quality is poor - but I always record my sound separately in any case - and it's poor in low light - but I always records in full daylight! So it does the job.

Edited by WillFly

+1 for the Fuji, was my first decent digital camera years ago.

Then I upgraded to the Panasonic Lumix TZ7 which was an amazing camera and I still use it when we go away.

The Canon DSLR is a fantastic little beast.

For audio I use a Samson G-Track usb microphone which is simply excellent as a voice mic but I have also tested it with my guitar and the sound is awesome.

I also have a Zoom H4N which I have purchased for the watch repair course I am writing - this will allow me to present the course rather than voiceover.

And in case you have not guessed it - I love gadgets :) just wish I could afford more lol.

I have two Zoom H2 digital recorders (the old model, not the latest one) which I use for my sound recording. I use mainly one but, occasionally, where I want a nice broad sound spectrum, two. They are absolutely superb and give great sound quality.

Edited by WillFly

• 4 months later...

I use a Olympus C5050 which is about 10 years old, although along with watches and Pocketwatches photography is another passion I do not use my general SLR gear for watch photography the C5050 gives me all I need and as Will has already said pixels are only part of a successful image, correct lighting along with focal and shutter speed settings also figure in the equation..

Best wishes

Darren

Many Thanks Guys

It is much appreciated, I do spend a lot of time on my collection and am trying to work my way up the ladder, but I do enjoy these

and I like to play about with picture and frame them to put on the walls of my work area (spare bedroom)...

Best Wishes

Darren

post-286-0-83042400-1407352475_thumb.jpg