Self Servicing Rolex Submariner 3135

Endeavor

Done my due diligence and dismantled the 3135 this afternoon. So far, everything went according to plan and I'm nearly at the end of Mark's first video; balance replaced and prior to cleaning.

As written before, my Rolex was officially serviced in 2003 and I can not conclude anything else than it was floating in oil. There was oil between cover plates & bridges, making them "stuck", the levers from the keyless work were all stuck together (seemed quite thin oil to me, no grease), the ratchet wheel had a big droplet of oil on top and a lot of components were sticky to the tweezers. Basically the whole movement came far more "sticky" apart than on Mark's video.

Question; because of this "over-oiling"; is there anything I need to pay special attention to?

What damage can over-oiling do?

At first glance all pivots seemed in good condition, but I have to thoroughly inspect them after cleaning.

Hope to hear......

Regards: Roland.

Edited by Endeavor

The extra oil would have stopped it working efficiently but ironically protected the pivots. I serviced my Rolex 3135 last year and apart from loosing a lower shock spring the service went well. I used HP 1300 not the usual D5 for the slow moving parts. The only issue you will encounter is the regulation as the Rolex 3135 is a lot different from a standard watch. I found no way of adjusting the beat but the regulation is via microstella screws on the balance & you need a microstella tool to adjust. There is also a handy adjustment to minimise the end shake of the balance.

Be careful and don,t rush anything because not only are the parts hard to find they are very expensive.

Hello Clockboy;

Yes, my hands were more shaky this afternoon than on my exercise watches.......the name, availability of parts and price does something...

My plan was to install a new spring, put it back together and then see how it runs. If required, I will purchase a microstella tool......problem is, I never could train myself on microstella screws / tool........we'll see. I'll take my time !

Thanks.

Update; Stripped the movement, cleaned the parts and the 3135 movement is now partially reassembled. I'm at the end of Mark's 2nd video and the balance is ticking again. Currently I'm oiling the balance and escape-wheel hinge-type KIF or Incabloc's.

post-1663-0-69233900-1455281918_thumb.pn

(Picture borrowed from the  http://great-british-watch.co.uk website, who has a great article about anti-shock-settings)

First I've done one of the balance-wheel Incabloc's and pulled out, with Rodico, in one go the cap stone stone, the Chaton and the balance staff jewel. Cleaned, oiled and installed the Incabloc assembly as per video.

Now I opened the tiny Incabloc spring of the escape wheel and with Rodico I pulled out only the cap-stone. I can see the pivot-staff jewel, but no Chaton. Further "pickings" with Rodico doesn't lift the pivot jewel.

Before I go any further; Is this Incabloc supposed to be identical to the one in the balance-wheel? Or is it indeed just the cap-stone which comes off?

If it is just the cap-stone, how does one oil?

Hope to hear and thanks on beforehand......

Regards: Roland.

I cleaned the cap-stone and replaced it dry. The stone seemed to fit nice and snug in the setting. Even with a 10x eye-loop, no signs of a Chaton, nor a ring which could indicate one. Went ahead, oiled the staff-jewel and replaced the cap-stone. Turned the movement around and opened the other escape-wheel Kef; also here just the cap-stone which came out, no Chaton. So, both sides were identical. Same procedure, cleaned the cap-stone, oiled and replaced it. The balance wheel Kef had the Chaton again, as per video.

Concluding, the two escape-wheel anti-shocks were not identical as to the two balance wheel anti-shocks.

Maybe Mark can enlighten us here??

From there on, the rapid-date change, calender-works and the automatic winding system. Somehow the pallet stones lubrication was missed out, so I had to disassemble the calendar-ring and cover plate to do so.

The movement is currently "ticking" under test and tomorrow I'll put it on the Watch-O-graph and see how it runs..........

• 3 years later...