Windows 10

I know what you mean Vic. The world has changed too soon too fast. I was doing the same thing over here until about 4 years ago. In the beginning it was paradise! It has become a joke and more like school take home work (homework)...the "language arts" kind. Lots of tickets on a computer and "digital" paperwork....all to call someone else to solve the problem while you are dealing with politics at work.

Till today, I haven't purchased a computer ever -- my printers have always been HPs -- ...I build my own! Specially now, once you open the cheapo boxes they sell at outrageous prices (they claim higher integration but if your video goes so goes the rest!). So, in the end, you don't want to buy from anyone. And what do you say about Macs: no more proprietary hardware, the Motorola based (RISC), just the same hardware as everyone else but with proprietary software, the Linux/Unix alternative with a twist (fails more than both). Which leads to the next part: programmers earning half or less than 10 years ago (value wise). And Java! No more fast C++ etc. Your computer now has to interpret AND compile, no wonder the speed "progress" is not seen!

I'm looking forward to retirement, that's for sure...just a couple more years.  :)

Cheers,

Bob

Hi all

My first post on this forum and I will introduce myself better in an other post.

I ran XP and win 7 Home pro but one day the win7 computer choked over something so I tryed to upgrade to win-10

After struggling a couple of days having to get the system working with me and not against me I decided to downgrade to XP again........ it did NOT work the way it should.

I then decided to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and I am really satisfied with it.
I will soon install wine so I can run some windowsprogram inside Ubuntu that I dont find yet in the Ubuntuworld. One programme I dont think is avalible to Ubuntu is the "Watch O Scope" witch I will install shortly, Yesterday I ordered the components I needed for making the amplifier.......

Way to go jedmo! Nice project, and good solution for the old (?) -- in the good sense -- computer. I personally would have re-formatted the hard drive and started from scratch, drivers and everything Windows but I guess that Ubuntu is "trained" to do everything for you nowadays: i.e. easier and more elegant solution when the competition doesn't work! :)

In the old days, Linux wasn't that nice! The problem I have now is that the Linux world is very variable and some distros I would have stayed with tend to disappear overnight without even finishing the project!

Oh well, that's one more reason to stick to watches!

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

Bob

Well it whas almost a "plugNplay" with the Ubuntuinstallation. The computer is an ACER Aspire 5732Z laptop. I normally use it for surfing on the web, building a database over my electronic components with LibreOffice Base, I have some spreadsheets in LibreOfficeCalc and my e-mailacounts in Thunderbird. I have recently installed Fritzing witch is a program to make electronic sketches <-> PCB-CAD <-> Breadboard drawings. I don't have got it to work my way yet but.....

Then I have to install wine so I can run "Watchoscope" !

Yesterday I ordered the missing components for the amplifier and when that is up and running together with the microphone I will download and test the Watchoscope. It looks just perfect for my workbench :-)

// Mats

• Like 1