Windows 10

I haven't worked on Mac's very much and when I did I found it hard. Good old Windows XP I found it very stable and never had any issues with it, but up dates finished ages ago so you might have security problems. I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 so missed out 8. I thought I'd take the plunge as its offered free but I think that ends at the end of this year, I might be wrong. It took me around 30 minutes to find the screensaver in 10 yesterday. I hope I have better luck with the other stuff.  

I haven't worked on Mac's very much and when I did I found it hard. Good old Windows XP I found it very stable and never had any issues with it, but up dates finished ages ago so you might have security problems. I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 so missed out 8. I thought I'd take the plunge as its offered free but I think that ends at the end of this year, I might be wrong. It took me around 30 minutes to find the screensaver in 10 yesterday. I hope I have better luck with the other stuff.  

Yep I just find windows difficult to navigate around, but then it might be me because I am used to the mac.

I am not actually interested in this IT stuff one bit.  I just want it to work without any fuss & Mac,s in general provide this (for me anyway)

After some bullying and threats from Ms I decided to take the plunge from Win 7 to Win 10.  As I have a slowish broadband it took several hours to download and then it installed it's self,  so far,  so good,  my personal files were still there as requested.  As mentioned above it is full of stuff aimed at the younger generation and getting you to pay for this that and the other,  after a day or so I had cleared most of the junk from sight and it was looking more like Win 7 which I was quite happy with.

It would only be a couple of days later after switching the PC on that I got the black screen of death,  this consisted of a totally black screen and a blinking cursor top left.  Nothing I tried made the slightest difference,  it was only the fact that I also have a laptop that saved me.  I discovered on the net that it was possible to download Win 10 along with a repair programme from Ms and burn this to a DVD,  about 6 hours or so later it finished the download.  I made the DVD and put it in the dead PC,  I tried the repair program,  it could not find anything wrong,  only thing left was to reinstall Win 10. This went OK and eventually I had Win 10 working again,  by now my confidence had been somewhat shaken.  I now discovered that a lot of my old games did not work,  this would not matter to none games players but it was annoying to me.

I think Win 10 was released too early and that we are the bug testers,  I also think it try's to be all things to all men which as we know is never easy.  In conclusion the longer you can leave it before going to Win 10 the more the bugs will get sorted.  It's been about a month so far and it's still running OK,  fingers crossed.

Mac OS upgrades are generally fairly straightforward, but I have "Snow Leopard" - 10.6.8 - and I'm sticking with that until the day comes when I need a new machine, and I'm resisting all upgrades.

One of the problems is that my existing software applications - mainly music and photography - are geared to OS 10.6.8, and I don't want them to be inoperable because of an upgrade. At one time, upgrades were backwards compatible, but that's not always the case these days, particularly with changes to Intel chips.

I used both Windows and Macs at work for many years. As far as standard office and business software is concerned, Windows machines are fairly industry standard but, anyone who deals with music and design applications, the Macs are the only machines to have.

Cheers,

Will

Ubuntu Linux here for most things. It's free, stable, regularly updated, and fairly quick without being too resource hungry. It also comes with so many applications that there is very little it can't do.

For those few apps that do require Windows I have an old laptop that was running 7. I upgraded to 10 which was ok until the hard drive died so it's now awaiting repair.

10 was alright once I got the hang of it.

Always look a gift horse firmly in the mouth.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

If it sounds to good to be true- it is.

.....and now added to the list:

Let the rest of the world carry out the software testing & upgrade in a year or two's time (if its still around that is).

Think I will stick with 7.

I used windows XP for years and liked it until it kept running slow, mostly clogged with junk ! , I bought a new laptop a couple of months ago it's running 8.1, it's ok but keeps updating ? , a few days ago after an update I couldn't get online whatever I tried , eventually I uninstalled the most recent updates and... straight back online no prob !!!   :pulling-hair-out:   :fpc:       I keep getting pop ups to install windows 10, keep deleting it.

I ran Windows 7 as long as I could. But it isn't supported anymore, and at some point I had to upgrade, so I decided to upgrade to 10 while it was still free.

I took the opportunity to move to an SSD - so, I installed 7 on the SSD, then upgraded that to 10, keeping 7 on the HD in case I needed it for something, and as a location for files and directories that get written often (cache dirs, download dirs, and so on) - since SSDs don't deal so well with constant rewriting.

It took me a couple of days to beat 10 into some sort of shape I could use. I deleted a lot of the useless clutter, and got rid of the Windows 8 interface.

You have to keep in mind that you are used to Win7, or XP, and get free of that mindset - and also realize you can change how things work. The thing that annoyed me most was trying to figure out how to log off and shut down ; but that is quick once you know where it is; quicker than in 7, actually.

So I've accepted 10 and can live with it. The SSD is a huge improvement. My 7 had been running for four or five years, and Windows just takes longer to boot the older it gets and the more stuff that has been installed and uninstalled. My 7 was taking 15 minutes to fully boot. 10 with the SSD really only takes 20 seconds or so, so I'm willing to put up with a lot.

Really, I'm a Unix guy, and have worked professionally on Unix computers since 1984, but the wife wants MS Office, so there you go.

10 is ok, you can get used to it. It comes with a lot of useless garbage that you can get rid of. It is possible to work normally, in a more-or-less Win7 environment.

Just my 2 euro-cents worth.

Steven

Edited by stevo58

See here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2452702/dont-panic-yes-windows-7-is-leaving-mainstream-support-but-it-isnt-being-abandoned.html. OK you cant phone them with problems (not that I ever have) and there wont be any new bits added, but the security side is regularly updated etc. They just want people to test 10 for them.

Edited by Blacklab

I tend to stick with the same OS until forced to change.  Each time I have changed I have had trouble with drivers and even had to get new hardware on occasion such as my scanner.  Compatibility mode sometimes does not cut the mustard with some of my needs.  I worked in IT for years before I retired and luckily have had no problems I could not fix but a lot of them were actually caused by updates to installed software and none moreso than Windows itself.

At the minute i am still on Windows 7 which was a free upgrade when I bought my computer with Vista on it.  I am comfortable with the OS and will stick until I have to upgrade.  I am a great believer in "if it aint bust don't fix it"

I suppose I am a creature of habit as I also drive my cars into the ground before buying a new one.

:geek: :D

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 2

I liked Windows XP and also liked Windows 7,  it was just that the constant nagging and the fact that it was a free (upgrade?) made me switch to Windows 10.  So far and after a couple or so updates it is looking more stable,  like Vich I also lost the use of my perfectly good scanner after switching to XP or Win 7,  never could get it to work again.

There is an alternative to Microsoft in Linux,  which is free,  I have had a test run of Ubuntu and it looks like it can do anything Ms Windows can do,  I keep the latest version on a DVD so that should the worst happen I can run it and still get on the net etc.

I liked Windows XP and also liked Windows 7,  it was just that the constant nagging and the fact that it was a free (upgrade?) made me switch to Windows 10.  So far and after a couple or so updates it is looking more stable,  like Vich I also lost the use of my perfectly good scanner after switching to XP or Win 7,  never could get it to work again.

There is an alternative to Microsoft in Linux,  which is free,  I have had a test run of Ubuntu and it looks like it can do anything Ms Windows can do,  I keep the latest version on a DVD so that should the worst happen I can run it and still get on the net etc.

There isn't much that Windows does that you can't do in Ubuntu Linux, and what you can't do directly you can do in a Linux based Windows emulator.

@Vic and Autowind:

About the scanner, HP scanners utilities tend to "hide" and if they do, you need to close all applications and after starting the scanner program, which won't be seen on screen (like nothing happened), hold the alt key and tap the space bar. This will put a submenu on screen, click on minimize and the icon for the utility will appear minimized. Then you can click on it and it will "maximize" and be ready to use.,,of course, all should be well if your drivers are correct (some newer drivers tend to act up so you might need to "rewind" to an old version that works...something like winning the Lottery.) Of course, never forget to power cycle the scanner + reboot computer (if SCSI, serial, parallel) and/or plug and unplug it if USB.

@Marc,

I don't know Marc, I'm not too sure about Ubuntu and all the other Linux distros. They are still falling short of everything I do in my computer....I do have it on one of them...or I should say I have different partitions with different distros  and I wanted them to work but not quite! I do agree that for most Internet applications and business stuff it is almost there but again, not quite for "everything". The emulators suck, some work on some things and some other things you can't use or are not fully implemented...still not there. My hope is that one day they will be.

Anyway, it is my luck so far with OS's and apps. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I don't thing at this stage in life I want to be in a "computer" forum and find out! :)

Cheers,

Bob

PS. So far, starting with Win 8, Microsoft has done an crappy OS job as far as users are concerned....trying to fix it with the looks and feel of 7 in Win 10 but still too much crap and I may add, unstable in one of my builds (even going by the compatibility list)!

And Mac's are far too proprietary and money hungry to have my attention. I wonder where are we heading in the computer arena!

Hello Bob,

My scanner was called by the scary brand of "Black Widow" (Devcom).  Unfortunately it was old when I upgraded and though working perfectly on XP I had not researched the compatability issue.  Cut a long story short the drivers for Vista were not working so I tried various alternatives but eventually found out there was an inherent compatability issue they had upgraded to a new model and the drivers for the new model were not compatibleand I was wasting my time.  I now have a much more compact HP scanner which is great for my purposes.

Its funny but when I was at work I was in charge of a Team looking after 520 users PC's for IT and Telecoms fault resolution, Unix Mainframe admin, Novell administration etc.  In those days I was pulling apart PC's left right and centre and I loved it, power supply issues, memory chip upgrades, even the software installation and OS download install side was quite fun.  That has all changed now and HP are the providers for support. The IT team just act as link between user and provider and spend their time filling in stats.  Thank heavens I retired.

These days I find it a chore when something goes wrong on my home PC and I have to fix it, you can probably hear me sighing in Miami.  Definitely getting older grumpier and more lazy these days.

Oh well time to put the icing on the Christmas cake !

Cheers,

Vic