Two More Cheapies Bought On A Whim

Sometimes, just to vary the collection, I'll run through "wristwatches" on eBay - limiting my search to "UK", "Auction" and "Mechanical (movement)" - and see what comes up that might be interesting or different. Just the other day I did a couple of cheap snipes - and won both a by a whisker. So, with a bit of luck, the postman will be ringing twice...

The top one is a Zim - about which I know nothing except that it's Russian. And the lower one is an Ertus - about which I know absolutely nothing except that's Swiss, with a very interesting dial. I'll see how I like them - might keep them - might flog them off...

Zim%20face.jpg

Zim%20movement.jpg

Ertus%20face.jpg

Ertus%20movement.jpg

I do like the second one - very nice.

the first one - broken dial feet possibly?

Difficult to tell from the eBay pic whether the Zim dial is off kilter or not... I'll find out tomorrow. The Ertus dial is what attracted it to me - plus Swiss... 17 jewels... And the strap looks very yucky - but that's soon remedied.

Edited by WillFly

I've never bought a Hirsch strap - are they worth the asking price - or overpriced?

Here's a nice one to match the Ertus - at just £7 more than I paid for the watch!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HIRSCH-Liberty-Nature-Calfskin-Buckle/dp/B002ZJMHX2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1396452838&sr=8-10&keywords=hirsch+watch+strap

Edited by WillFly

Hirsch make very high quality straps - I used to sell them when I had a shop and was very happy with the quality. 

I will only have Hirsch on my watches - but Condor make good straps also, I used to sell those as well and was quite impressed. But I hate Apollo straps :)

Interesting watches Will, I particularly like the Ertus. The balance jewel assembly is the same type fitted to the wee Rolex I've just been working on. Never did find out hoe to remove the balance jewels.

Do you know what make the movement is?

All I know at the moment is that the movement is stamped "Ertus" - and I can't find out much more from the web at the moment. From the photo, the movement and dial look very nice - well worrth the £26 I paid.

I've replaced the Zim dial picture with a new one as the watch arrived this morning. I haven't had the back off yet but it's wound and running sweetly if my ear is anything to go by. There's some muck on the underside of the crystal and there's some crude reluming on the 5-minute markers, but I'll see how it goes. I may well pass it on. I quite like the odd bit of Russian around the place now and then... What's clear is that the case is slightly off-kilter, but the dial is sitting right on the movement. An interesting little cheapie, really!.

Zim%20face.JPG

Edited by WillFly

You can't tell from the photo, because there's no side slant to the view, but it's clear under a high-mag lens that the base dial is original, if worn slightly. The lumps of lume on the 5-minute markers have clearly been dabbed on at a later date. I'm tempted to see if they can be taken off, but I'm wary of damaging the original marker.

I've now photographed the Zim movement myself. For a fiver, it's a simple, rugged little movement - it's keeping perfect time so far, so I'm not complaining. It'll do until I get my Omega... :lolu:

Zim%20movement.JPG

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 1

I've re-strapped the Ertus, which is running very nicely indeed. It's just 30mm in diameter. The watchmaker was Paul Ertusi who registered his company as a watchmaking concern in Switzerland in 1929. The Ertus brand was specifically registered in 1938 - and I'm guessing this little beaut was made in the following decade. judging by the size and style. What a contrast with my Hamilton Khaki Mechamical - 44mm in diameter as befits a movement (ETA 6497) originally made for pocket watches...

HamandErt.jpg

Edited by WillFly

• 3 weeks later...