Casio Aq-222 No Sound

bacon1937

I recently found a Casio AQ-222 in a collection of watches I bought. After installing a new battery the watch works great, the only issue is that the alarm doesnt sound, the icon simply flashes on the screen when the alarm should sound.

I've tried the AC reset a few times without results. When I initially opened the watch there was no battery or spring connecting the piezo on the back case, I'm not sure whether this model actually should have a caseback spring in it or not, and if so where it would connect on the movement.

If the spring is required is there anywhere to source this part (or piezo)? Just for my own info, I also wonder the best way to test the piezo itself (I have a multimeter if that helps).

post-1434-0-21371500-1449856268_thumb.jp

post-1434-0-75748800-1449856295_thumb.jp

post-1434-0-88851700-1449856320_thumb.jp

post-1434-0-96553300-1449856343_thumb.jp

Hi bacon,

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on Casio watches will chip in shortly.

As for my own (limited) experience, Casios are at best a lost cause. I haven't found a place to source parts and unless you find "other party" movements inside, (think Citizen or even Seiko), there is nothing you can do to fix them...short of going discrete troubleshooting -- which I lack the knowledge on digital/electronic watches -- and specialized tools for this matter.

In any case, if it is lacking a spring to make contact with the case, maybe a pen spring or similar might be a good substitute, IMHO. Another way is to find a donor watch, but I myself hate to destroy a "maybe fixable" watch to make another one work...to me, it is like asking a small kid --- you know they are almost human :)  --- to donate an organ!

Anyway, I wish you luck with your search and project and please, keep us posted of your progress.

Cheers,

Bob

I am sure there will be a little spring that sits in the movement and connects to the piezo on the caseback . The little spring in the cigarrett lighter has saved me many time.

My guess is that it should be in there .

post-644-0-46509200-1449865872_thumb.jpg

Edited by rogart63

Great idea about the cigarette lighter spring, I also thought that it might be the black hole since it was the only one that stuck out to me as being different and would possibly fit a spring. I'm going to try and dig something suitable out and give it a try.

I've seen someone on a youtube video dismantling a watch springbar

31PrtgLo2jL._SX300_.jpg

and using the internal spring as a replacement, although that was on a newer g-shock and they had to drill the hole bigger.

• Like 1

Great idea about the cigarette lighter spring, I also thought that it might be the black hole since it was the only one that stuck out to me as being different and would possibly fit a spring. I'm going to try and dig something suitable out and give it a try.

I've seen someone on a youtube video dismantling a watch springbar

31PrtgLo2jL._SX300_.jpg

and using the internal spring as a replacement, although that was on a newer g-shock and they had to drill the hole bigger.

A springbar is a great idea . And as bobm12 says there are different sizes. U only need a small spring from the movement to the piezo.

Came here to mention the spring bars, if you have any 1.2/1.3 spring bars of any type (standard 1.5 spring bar springs are usually too big), it's usually easily enough to pull one apart or cut it open, then just cut the spring to length, done it a couple of times, works perfectly. Drilling shouldn't be at all necessary,  after all you can get 1.0 mm spring bars, and no alarm spring is going to be smaller than springs in those. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1