I've Played Bergeon At Their Own Game

jdm

Problem: cheap spring bar tool which is very poor, tip seems to be made from pressed tuna cans.
Hurdle: A proper Bergeon tool is £7.85 + VAT. 
Solution, buy Bergeon tip only 6767AF for £1.80, and replace on el cheapo handle.

Fantastic! BTW forked tip is 1.2mm not 1 as even the Bergeon catalog says. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

This leads me on to a question I've wondered about - do Bergeon actually make anything? I've seen a fair few tools, old as well as new, that are clearly made by someone else and have Bergeon branding put on them. I'm not just meaning the inexpensively made (but not sold!) Chinese tools but European made tools as well. It seems like a good business to me if you simply buy everything in, brand it, inflate the price and sell it.

Stephen

• Like 1

This leads me on to a question I've wondered about - do Bergeon actually make anything? I've seen a fair few tools, old as well as new, that are clearly made by someone else and have Bergeon branding put on them. I'm not just meaning the inexpensively made (but not sold!) Chinese tools but European made tools as well. It seems like a good business to me if you simply buy everything in, brand it, inflate the price and sell it.

Stephen

A good example of this is the Bergeon Demagnetiser, its identical from not only the outside with its China model, but also inside is exactly the same, which leads me to believe they are exactly the same.

This is the one..

16392833857_3a23282747_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Edited by SSTEEL

Having visited Bergeon In Switzerland A extremely long while ago my impression was there were more of a distributor of tools than a manufacturer themselves.. So personally I suspect some stuff is made exclusively for them  and other stuff they purchase which is why it looks identical to what everyone else is selling.  It would be impossible for them the manufacture everything they sell.

• Like 3

Totally agree with John and Stephen on this one. I do a lot of research before purchasing anything and have saved myself a fortune in the process.

Here's a typical example, great quality and works perfectly.

post-124-0-75667700-1449656795_thumb.jpe

Price from a reputable UK source including VAT and postage £593.

Price imported from China including shipping £144.

Same machine with a total saving of £449. I have purchased many items of similar good quality without the magic Swiss names and have saved a fortune.

Savings above exposed  are the way to go. I don't understand how Bergeon can still fool technical people that takes apart and analyze things for a living. This is 2015 and the internet became popular 20 yrs ago.

BTW even this spring bar tool is made by someone else. Bob Frei has a long story about it on his website.

• Like 1

The only downside as running a watchmaking business, Swatch Group have a specific Branded tools, and equipment assortment requirement, which must be purchased, and proven from an inspection in order too continue watch parts supplies from them.

Sometime's burgeon tools are worth the expense, sometimes they're really not. Some things they make are overpriced.

Not if you buy Burgeon tools . They must come from China  :D . Sorry couldn't resist . As for similarities with tools from China . They are masters of copy. The demagnitizer from China that look like a Bergeon. They probably copied it but haven't used the same kind of material. The cord could be of less quality for example. 

Thanks a lot jdm. A very interesting read.

The more I see and read about Bergeon the more I'm convinced that it's all just " Emperors new clothes "

I'm just not convinced about them as of magnificent makers of tools. Just clever marketing and peoples gullibility

My opinion and no disrespect to those who swear by them.

• Like 2

There are some areas though where the branded tools are undoubtedly better, whether through quality control, manufacture, materials or something else. I've seen both Bergeon and the Chinese copy screw extractors and there was no comparision. The Chinese version may have been half the price or less, but it was worthless as the extractor pins didn't even line up! Bergeon also sell a lot of tools that just aren't available anywhere else, and I'm not just meaning the tweezers to oil your mainspring type :D . The markup they have on some is ridiculous though - Fixodrop bottle at £130 anyone? The difficulty sometimes is in knowing which ones you really need to spend the extra money on, which is why I buy used quite a lot.

It was interesting what John said earlier about visiting Bergeon years ago and them being more of a distributor, I imagine this will only have increased with time. Which brings me back to my earlier question - do they actually manufacture anything?

Stephen

• 6 years later...