Here's A Really Strange Watch

ramrod

i won this thing yesterday on fleabay. i'll post a link to it below as it's an interesting read. it seems this particular watch was acquired from a chicago store (who acquired it back in the seventies) and was never sold. so, it is NOS. i'm a bit anxious to get it.

i clicked on one of the links and it went to a website called http://electric-watches.co.uk/. i clicked on it and found that this fellow has a load of these watches. but in all of the pics, none of his watches has a red arrow on the dial. gee, maybe mine will be a one in a million.

it's quite interesting in that these watches are basically more of a hybrid mechanical/electric.

linky -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newport-R-GSell-Co-Kal-26-German-Ruhla-as-Chronoflex-Champion-or-Services-Name-/371497701774?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=FjZngieG4wFMPIkNo25NvyIrPA4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

hopefully that link will work.

i'll post some pictures  and give a review once it arrives.

• Like 1

Hi Ramrod,

Interesting watch.. BTW looks like the center (seconds) pinion spring needs to be centered, it may not run right otherwise! It may be stuck against the side of the pivot so just lifting it gently might solve the problem..otherwise just loosen the screw, align the spring and tighten.

Anil

wow! i don't even have it yet, and it's been diagnosed and a fix prescribed.

thank you, anil! i wouldn't have known that. but i'm glad you spotted it. i think the seller mentioned something about it running sporadically.

i'm looking forward to getting this and checking it out.

if it's something that fascinates me, i'll keep it. otherwise, i might contact the person running that other website to see if he wants to acquire another.

If you're looking for a red lightning bolt  on the dial  first link one of the pictures down quite a ways.. Then the second link  lots or red lightning bolts and a really nice picture of the movement  showing you where the spring is supposed to be  normally.

http://uhrforum.eu/index.php/de/forum/archiv/79-umf-25-26-ruhla-electric?start=270

http://www.uhrforum.eu/index.php/de/uhrenforum/archiv/79-umf-25-26-ruhla-electric?start=90

http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers/newport/

thank you for the link, john. i looked on that forum and didn't see a red lightning bolt on a newport. they were on the champions and a few others. it probably doesn't mean anything - just my knack for wierd observations.

i should have known that there was a forum for even these watches!

now i see what anilv was talking about with that center pinion. i don't know what that piece does when it covers that pinion - perhaps just to stabilize it?

i hope to have this tomorrow. i'll give it a good looking over and then decide what to do with it. i hope it hums like the bulovas and other electrics. i love that sound and haven't heard it in so long, i forgot what it sounded like.

well, i received said watch today - just about an hour ago. i examined it and moved the pinion spring as anil suggested. i don't have a battery to put in it. i've contacted the owner of the link that johnr725 posted for me (http://electric-watches.co.uk ) . i'll wait to hear back from him (paul) to see what battery to install in it.

when i pull the crown it pulls, not stiffly but with more effort than an auto or hand winder that i'm used to, but as it's pulled out, the minute hand advances about 7 or 8 minutes each time. it's kind of funny to watch it. 7 or 8 minutes each time.

i'm anxious to see if it has a sound when it runs. does anyone have an electric that could tell me? i know this is a bit old school as compared to, say an accutron, but i'm hoping it has a hum to it.

it is definitely NOS. this watch band has probably never even been strapped to a wrist. it is arrow straight and has no marks on it. the case is slightly tarnished and could use a polish. but there's not a dent in it or a scratch anywhere. the crystal ha a mark around the 7 o'clock position. it looks like it could polish out.

i might just get this running (hopefully) and wear it for a while. then......see ya!

lol who knows.

Hi ramrod , I believe that the only watches that will hum are the tuning fork watches....Bulova Accutron , Citizen Hisonic , Omega f300 , Longines Ultrasonic and others . Most other electrics use a balance and pallet fork to drive gears , therefore tick . I just checked a Hamilton electric I have and it was ticking away as was my Elgin , Gruen , and Timex electrics .

The innards of the electrics are interesting to look at , but if not used for a while it seems that they all need a shake back and forth to kick start them . 

After going through my electric watch phase I think that I'll stick to Accutrons and Mechanicals , although I like the look of the Seiko chronographs . I just don't care for their finicky circuit blocks [circuit boards ] .

makes perfect sense, RP. even as i examined this watch, something in the back of my mind asked myself what it was exactly that would "hum". i can see it would be nothing. just ticking. but that's o.k. i need to get a battery in this thing and get it running. it's been a very busy week at work and i haven't had time to change my mind let alone fettle with my watches.

• 1 month later...

In digging around the usual vendors for Soviet-era Russian watches, I've come across several "hybrids", and I like this Luch particularly. I've promised to add one to the collection someday, as it's intriguing not only for its movement, but I find the styling very appealing:

https://flic.kr/p/Dawwro

(Why can't we post photos on this thread?)

Gryf

Edited by Gryf

The Luch hybrid is powered by a button battery, but it uses a balance wheel. I don't know the specifics, but the impulse to the balance is provided electronically instead of with a mainspring.

@ ricardopalomino - I have a Shturmanskie very similar to yours. The dial is identical, but the case is different... And it uses the same Poljot 3133 movement. I've owned it since new, and it's one of my favorite watches.

Stroppy - I guess I like the Russian watches mainly because they're just different, and can be purchased pretty reasonably. I was born and grew up during the Cold War era, and Russia seemed distant and rather mysterious. I enjoy wearing a bit of Soviet history. Also, Russian technology of that era was fascinating; seemingly simple, but beautifully crafted and sturdy.

Gryf

The Luch hybrid is powered by a button battery, but it uses a balance wheel. I don't know the specifics, but the impulse to the balance is provided electronically instead of with a mainspring.

@ ricardopalomino - I have a Shturmanskie very similar to yours. The dial is identical, but the case is different... And it uses the same Poljot 3133 movement. I've owned it since new, and it's one of my favorite watches.

Stroppy - I guess I like the Russian watches mainly because they're just different, and can be purchased pretty reasonably. I was born and grew up during the Cold War era, and Russia seemed distant and rather mysterious. I enjoy wearing a bit of Soviet history. Also, Russian technology of that era was fascinating; seemingly simple, but beautifully crafted and sturdy.

Gryf

I'm sure there's a video on Youtube showing a truck running over a Soviet-era watch and it survives.  The video was made to show how tough the cases and movements were.

I wonder, Gryf, if you can buy these watches even cheaper at Ukrainian and Russian flea markets and second hand shops.  The sellers on Ebay seem to be wise to the fact that these watches have fascination value and charge accordingly.

I've bought several of my Russians at www.etsy.com. Just search for Soviet Watches, and prepare to spend a few hours.  :-)

Here's a pic of the Luch movement:

luch_works_zpst6sdtpz5.jpg?t=1453226806

Gryf

Edited by Gryf

that luch is beautiful. it has very bold applied graphics. wow. very nice.

ricardopalamino is becoming our resident pro on all things tuning fork. he's an enabler - he got me hooked. i even forgot how to pronounce "seiko".

i think i've seen a luch on fleabay and didn't know much about them. i oughtta do a search and see what i can find.

like i need another watch brand to seek out.

Edited by ramrod

i had a look through some of the luch offerings on fleabay. i liked some of the styles, but i noticed that few of them were stainless steel. i am not at all partial to chrome plated brass. it ages poorly just like RGP and all of the others.

louis - very cool clock. it looks like it could be used as an anchor. and the slava - if you took off the lettering on the dial - it could be a tissot. nice touch with the green strap. i'll bet it's comfy.

• 1 month later...

This all started with my electric watch and how strange it is. I installed the new battery and nothing. It wants to sort of run....I mean that the escape wheel will turn a bit longer (when plied with a blower). At least it seems that way. I don't know what to do diagnose it.

Does anyone have an opinion or some Guidance?