Treated Myself - To A Le Coultre From 1956

WillFly

I've been buying far fewer watches in the latter half of this year than in previous years - using money for other pursuits - having decided to move away from the selected "cheapies but goodies" on eBay in favour of more considered purchases.

The last watch I bought was a Christopher Ward C1000 auto, which I've worn virtually every day since getting it - and very nice it is too - and now I've picked up this very smart Le Coultre from 1956. [seller's] photos:

post-64-0-14490500-1449062038_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-78231000-1449062038_thumb.jpg

Some info on Le Coultre for those interested:

United States duty regulations made it more cost effective to import Jaeger LeCoultre movements, dials, crowns and hands into the USA from Switzerland and for the cases to be manufactured in the States. In the 1950’s the Longines Wittnauer group was the distributor of LeCoultre watches and Vacheron & Constantin watches sold in North America. The Longines Wittnauer group did not manufacture Jaeger LeCoultre watches as some people mistakenly believe, the movements were produced in the Swiss Jaeger LeCoultre factory at Le Sentier and were identical in every way to movements distributed within Europe other than the LeCoultre markings on the watch. The cases were manufactured under licence in the United States and were marked "Cased and Timed in the USA by LeCoultre". In approximately 1985 the brand name "Jaeger LeCoultre" was adopted worldwide.

Some people believe that because LeCoultre movements are signed "VXN" on the bridge (denoting Vacheron & Constantin), they were manufactured by Vacheron & Constantin. This is incorrect. Jaeger LeCoultre supplied movements to Vacheron & Constantin, which were used in their watches but not vice versa. The only collaboration that ever took place between these two prestigious watchmakers was the "Galaxy" diamond dial model. The Galaxy was marketed by both companies; with the case marked "Vacheron & Constantin - LeCoultre Inc." and the dial signed "LeCoultre".

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

Its so nice watch :). Regarding VXN on the movement - many manufactures in Suisse were marking movements with symbols like that - Im sure I have seen a list containing manufacturers and symbols they were using, Pierce if I recall was using PXA.

here is a link, not the one I was after but will do: http://mb.nawcc.org/archive/index.php/t-33786.html

Edited by Rafal

Very nice Will, I would imagine the click is on the underside.

Absolutely - but where exactly I wouldn't care to say. Presumably in an equivalent area to a more conventional topside click.

To be honest, I don't see the advantage of a buried click, other than neatness, as there's more stripping of the movement to be done if the click spring should break, etc. But who am I...

Problem solved, watchitis cleared to go...beautiful watch Will, I'm sure you'll get bored to wear it soon so feel free to send it over when you do! :)

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Quality is watchitis stage II, by the way. I'm getting it now too...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I joined this forum.  Now I realise that I am not alone in having this mania to buy watches!  Will...that is one beautiful watch.  It reminds me of two watches my father owned (and which I cannot, for the life of me, find) one was a LANCO and the other was a Grimsel.  They both kept wonderful time...only going out by about ten seconds a day, if that.

Like you I am often on "Fleabay" looking at what make a good cheap purchase.  What amazes me is the way the Chinese have moved along in making nice-looking automatic watches with complications.  Some even look like they have tourbillon movements.  The higher priced ones might really be tourbillons!

32 mm. that's about right for a 50's watch. i love their style, but i need at least a 35 to 38mm watch to make it look halfway decent on my wrist.

i have an almost perfect 10 bulova auto that i'm looking to sell because i never wear it.  it is 32mm and just too small.

32 mm. that's about right for a 50's watch. i love their style, but i need at least a 35 to 38mm watch to make it look halfway decent on my wrist.

i have an almost perfect 10 bulova auto that i'm looking to sell because i never wear it.  it is 32mm and just too small.

I'm in the same boat.  I have a few family heirloom watches that are truly works of art from the 50s and 60s but they are too small for my fat wrist.  They end up looking like kid's watches.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat.  I have a few family heirloom watches that are truly works of art from the 50s and 60s but they are too small for my fat wrist.  They end up looking like kid's watches.

You can, if you wish, donate watches that are too small for you, to the Watchitis Research Fund. Just drop an email to [email protected] for the address...

:D

• Like 3