Battery For Ebel 81 / Cartier 81

Michael

Hi all,

My sister in law gave me an Ebel to see if I could do anything with it. The stem was snapped. I opened the back and it is quartz movement Ebel 81. The battery was removed. I searched the internet and could not see what battery is required? Any ideas? I found it is the same movement as a Cartier 81.

Any help gratefully received

So it be nice to have a picture it's always nice to know what I'm looking for. So I found it on the cousins websites and you can buy the movement it is rather pricey. Strangely enough no batteries are listed as a replacement parts. So perhaps you can only get the battery if you buy the movement. But they had other parts and those have a different movement number. This actually has two separate numbers it's listed as this Frédéric Piguet - Cal. 820 But it also is a 8.20. Then I don't know what the differences in the numbers.

So first link we get a picture and a lot of times batteries are listed it's not listed this time. Second link also makes a reference to the number difference in other words one number at the top another number in the description and the comment about the cross referencing to the 81. So carrying on the theme of the most common replaced parts and zero reference to the battery number. So third link is a nice PDF and of course it does not tell us which battery to use sort of. At the very bottom it gives us the size there are two different thicknesses same diameter so it's either a 341 or 315.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Cartier_81

http://www.ofrei.com/page1113.html

http://www.phfactor.net/wtf/Frederic%20Piguet%20Tech%20Sheets/330_fp820.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. It is very useful and gives me some lines to follow. I will take some pictures of the movement tonight and measurements of what the battery space is, and hopefully this should give me an idea of what to try.

Hi Michael,

The majority of batteries - not to say all -- carry the same voltage. There is a gauge that allow you to find the battery number by size. Since the only thing that changes is the height and diameter of the different batteries, by knowing those measurements it is easy to find the number.

Here is an example of an inexpensive gauge (front and back):

post-253-0-30814700-1448977244_thumb.jpg post-253-0-38176600-1448977243.jpg

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bob

post-143-0-31513000-1449042158.jpg

post-143-0-42245500-1449042180_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bob, no I did not know this, but my knowledge about watch batteries has increased by 100000 times in the last 2 days thanks to this Forum. The Ebel is a simple hour and minute so steady state power requirement, and I have measured and looked at JohnR725's very useful post which shoes the 820 reference. From this I have established the battery I need is a 341. I had a pleasant surprise that the stem is not broken, and is an extender type for a solid type case, which I see the female part is available from Cousins.

Thanks for all your help

• 1 year later...