My Work Bench And Tools

madchops67

I love looking and watchmakers bench's and the tools that are used, it seems to say alot about a watchmaker and his work. This is my work bench at the moment. It's a regular computer desk elevated with risers to about 35 inches, just under 3 feet. As I'm just starting out Ipost-691-14488378625351.jpgpost-691-14488378893487.jpgpost-691-14488379100701.jpgpost-691-14488379286371.jpg know my tools will have to gradually change to better quality than the Chinese tools that I mostly have....what's on your bench?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Looks like a great start.  I too have office desks, they used to be in a L shape format, but having just moved apartment due to renovations, I was unable to set up my workspace the same as I have been accustomed to, so had to put them side by side.

I do plan on raising the height of these too when we move back, I have some extender legs salvaged from an old sofa.

23050667199_a5106c9172_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

23393478495_ddb33d0950_c.jpgAlmost set up in temporary apartment by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

• Like 5

you've got me beat by miles. mine is an old stickley type library desk with helter skelter tools and watches.

i'm impressed with your set up. neat and clean is the way.

Thanks ramrod, I try to keep my desk that way "neat and clean" but only last a few minutes until I begin to work on watches. [emoji1]

• Like 1

Looks like a great start. I too have office desks, they used to be in a L shape format, but having just moved apartment due to renovations, I was unable to set up my workspace the same as I have been accustomed to, so had to put them side by side.

I do plan on raising the height of these too when we move back, I have some extender legs salvaged from an old sofa.

23050667199_a5106c9172_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

23393478495_ddb33d0950_c.jpgAlmost set up in temporary apartment by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Thanks SSTEEL, you have a great setup and a great amount of tools, I can't wait til I get to that stage. I do have a bench buffer that I just got, but I'll need another table for that and more space...another table means more tools and I don't have a problem with that. I find more satisfaction in buying tools than watches! [emoji106]

• Like 3

I love the 2 ramps at each side of the center working mat....perfect for watches to stretch their feet...dial feet? Sorry, I thought I was at the Gym's forum. :D

It is a great place you got there with 3-D printing and all! Congratulations!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some of these set ups look really great. I'm quite envious. And here I am to yet to even get a basic work bench set up at home. Way too busy when at work, doing work on customers' quartz watches to do any mechanical practice that I'd like to, but being on the clock (if you'll excuse the expression) I can't very much complain that I have to work.

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Why Ishima! I thought no one had to work anymore! Just kidding! :)

I'm in the same boat as far as a home set up is concerned. I make do with a little "portable" cheapo bench (actually 2, one stacked on top of the other) but honestly, as long as it fits your needs -- and it is nice to have a good, satisfying bench, don't get me wrong -- it is OK. I'm surprised with the creative ways of many of our members using modules like IKEA, etc to come up with such comfortable and elegant set ups. It is also in my plans when I have a break from work to do the same!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got my setup about how I want it - for the time being. Having no dedicated space, I've organized my desktop bench with the tools I use the most. The less frequently used tools are in plastic ammo boxes in the closet.

When set up, my kids' homework desk becomes my work area.

setup01.jpg

Right top drawer

setup02.jpg

Left top drawer

setup03.jpg

Bottom drawer

setup04.jpg

I've still got some extra room, but I don't want to overload my bench, since it still has to be portable. When I'm done working it gets moved to the credenza and covered with a dust cover.

setup05.jpg

I need to get an adjustable chair, better lighting, and figure out a more permanent storage spot for my bench when I'm not using it. Other than that, I'm good until the kids move out and I get a proper bench - something I'm in no hurry for. :mellow:

• Like 3

All very nice and so clean. I always preferred mess my bench was always dirty and untidy I couldn't work on a tidy bench. Tools always to the side of me never in front, I didn't like reaching over. Cleaning machines on a different bench. Other cleaning machines and mops out side in a shed, where I would do all the clock cleaning.

Kind agree there Oldhip, as you can see I'm just starting and my bench looks like someone hit it with a lb of c4! Most of what you see is in timing or waiting for parts. I am jealous of some setups, just don't have the space. You might recognize this as a 'jewelers' bench, real watch benches are out of budget, actually works well for me, arm rests hold things steady and located next to window for really good natural light.

post-1800-0-26891100-1455048056_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bench mod:

I added some hobby craft 6mm foam to a piece of 3/4" plywood with 2way tape, then cut corners so it would fit across both arms and snug to benchtop. If foam gets mucked up, which it will, replace with new piece. Under I put anti-slide rubber squares to keep from moving about. You can really see even dial screws on the white foam. (hopefully not too many!) Note the blue home made post-it dial protector!

post-1800-0-96595800-1456777603_thumb.jp

post-1800-0-25626900-1456777626_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Hello Madchops,

"just starting Out"

Crikey If thats what you have already then you had better start work on an extension to your living quarters !

Thought I would re post my pic of a small scale tinkerers bench

post-197-0-36136700-1457008715_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I love the 2 ramps at each side of the center working mat....perfect for watches to stretch their feet...dial feet? Sorry, I thought I was at the Gym's forum. :D

It is a great place you got there with 3-D printing and all! Congratulations!

Cheers,

Bob

I have had to unmount the padding on the armrests #¤%¤ times - parts tend to find their way into the 0.1mm wide gap somehow! :)

It's not a 3-D printer - it's a Roland PNC-2300A CNC router - I make dials, bezelinserts and the odd watchpart that Cousins does not have in stock! ;) 

Edited by RCDesign

I started on the kitchen table, went to the computer desk, next to mud room on a folding table and now half of the storage room.  A combination of office storage, leftovers and what ever else I come across.  This is typically how it looks, organized chaos when I get into mode for eBay sales.  About once a month I tidy it all up and say yes this is how it is going to stay.  But, than I get in a fresh lot and it starts all over again. 

The solar hula dancer is how I checking the timing....j/k

DSC05580.JPG

DSC05582.JPG

DSC05583.JPG

DSC05586.JPG

DSC05588.JPG

• Like 3