Newbie Is What I'm Aspiring To

maz

Hello from Burbank California,

I've always been fascinated with watch movements and how precise and tiny the parts are but never went farther than that.  A few months ago I sent my watch (Low end Tissot PRC 200) to have the battery replaced.  They charged me $40 for that and I noticed some scratches on the back of the watch.  So I went looking for ways to do it myself and next thing I know I'm neck deep into watch repair videos.  About a week ago I took my Grandfather's and my Dad's old watches out of their hiding place (Omega Seamaster Cal.600, Omega Seamaster Cal. 565, Omega Seamaster Quartz Cal. 1342 and an Omega Constellation Cal. 751).  Don't know that much about them but they look good.  So I went on a ridiculous buying rampage of tools and old watches and movements both from eBay and Esslinger.  I bought all those old watches (Pocket and wrist) since everyone online says "You will break the first watch you try to service".  So I figured I would break a few cheap watches in preparation to servicing the above Omegas.

Since you're bored now I will stop and say thank you for all the YouTube videos and this forum and hopefully I will post some success stories in 2016. 2015 will be my watch, read and learn phase.

Maz

A warm welcome Maz, and thanks for the fine introduction. I'm a bit of an Omega fan myself, but if you're starting off on this horological adventure, I would strongly suggest that you pick up a couple of cheap movements and start on these first before attempting the Omegas.

Hi Maz -

I'm in exactly the same position you are. Exactly (well, another continent, but otherwise.) I'm new here too, but the guys are all very friendly and helpful and knowledgeable, and you've already discovered Mark's videos, which are great - very clear, really the best watch repair videos on the net.

I picked up a couple of movements at a flea market, intending to mess with those, until I opened them up (one an Omega)  and looked at them and decided against it. So now I'm practicing on a Chinese Waving Mao watch - the parts are just as tiny (though not as precise) and if/when I totally screw it up, who cares?

The Omega is at my watchmaker, being restored.

steven

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I bough a bunch of watch movements from eBay ranging from a size 18 pocket watch down a ladies wrist watch.  I figured it should be a fun and helpful to mess with these before attempting a service on a worthwhile watch.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Maz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Maz and welcome,

Loads of help and advice here which I for one am thankful for.  Look forward to reading about your future endeavours.

The small ladies "cocktail" watches are quite interesting to work on if not a bit trying.  Last movement I worked on was smaller than my little finger nail.  My good lady has now dug out  a  21 jewel movement, Talis, Gold cased watch that she got in her early years and has presented it to me for fixing - oh dear it is tiny about 10mm and it is not ticking and I would guess it needs a full strip down clean and lube.  I will probably have to work on it using my microscope and god help me if I screw this one up.  Watch repair is such fun :cool:

Cheers,

Vic

So now I'm practicing on a Chinese Waving Mao watch - the parts are just as tiny (though not as precise) and if/when I totally screw it up, who cares?

You would make Mao cry and immediately lose all $1 discounts on Aliexpress - your choice.