Help With A Hamilton 986A Repair

Bill3

I am repairing a Hamilton 986a and asking for help with a Hamilton 986a. I have taken it apart, cleaned and am in the process of putting it back together and oiling the movement. Things have gone well until I started to reinstall the setting lever. The setting lever screw goes in from the opposite side of the movement relative to where the setting lever is.

First is a picture of the movement.

Then is a picture of the side of the movement where the set lever screw is visible and can be turned.

Next is a picture of the side of the movement where the setting lever is to be stalled. The setting lever screw is seen emerging from the movement to the left of the stem. The screw driver is pointing to the threaded end of the setting lever screw.

Then a picture of the setting lever in place. Through the hole you can see the end of the screw that is supposed to thread in and hold the lever in place.

My problem is that turn the screw as I may, it will not thread into the hole and attach to the lever. It is difficult because I must turn the screw head from one side and try to thread the turning screw into the hole on the other side that cannot be seen from the side I am working from. I have tried holding it in place with my finger and holding it in place with a piece of rodico, but no luck. This seems to confirm the old saying that watches are a lot easier to take apart than to put back together, but I am hoping that it can be accomplished.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Bill

post-844-0-37121200-1448392945_thumb.jpepost-844-0-81207300-1448392999_thumb.jpepost-844-0-01266800-1448393270_thumb.jpepost-844-0-81710600-1448393410_thumb.jpe

Thank you, Rogart63! I persisted and was finally successful. After many, many attempts and failing each and every time, I thought I was not going to get the lever back in place. Your encouragement got me back on track and eventually lead to success.

• Like 1