Aircraft Clock

clockwatcher

As many of you may be aware I am a bit of a 'Jammy Sod'! The latest bit of jamminess is as follows. I was helping his widow to clear out my late friend's shed and was asked to divide the contents of a bag of 'scrap' between two bags, as the one bag had become too heavy to lift. It was destined for the metal recycling bin at the local dump. In transferring the contents I came across the clock in the pictures. Reporting it to my friend's widow as I was obliged to do I was told "If you want it, have it!"

The dial bore the stamped maker's mark 'S. Smith and Sons (MA) London' and the applied marking L 3/39, the date of manufacture or issue I presume. Some investigation online suggested that it was supplied to the Air Ministry and elsewhere as an aircraft clock. The 12-hour dial has alternate lumed numbers and lumed minute and hour hands for both main and subsidiary dials. The lume on the hands is completely shot but, although spent, the hour lume markings are crisp and largely intact. There's a 12-hour Time of Trip subsidiary dial and a sweep second hand. The trip timer and second hand are activated by the right-hand button and are both fly-back. The chrono function can be disconnected by turning the middle button where a small circular window shows red or white, off or on. The left button is for winding/adjusting and hacks the movement. The clock runs well but will benefit from a service. The timer function runs for a few minutes and then stops but I think this is due to lack of lubrication, after all it's probably never been opened in 75 years!

There's no indication on the outside as to what movement is lurking inside and I naturally presumed that it was made by Smiths. Imagine my pleasure in removing the casing and discovering a 13-jewel Le Coultre movement. It's a gilt beauty and absolutely immaculate.

Am I pleased? You bet!post-742-0-50552600-1448213908_thumb.jpgpost-742-0-64091500-1448213939_thumb.jpgpost-742-0-32012500-1448213961_thumb.jpgpost-742-0-32146300-1448214357_thumb.jpgpost-742-0-39789500-1448214403_thumb.jpgpost-742-0-28743200-1448214440_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Very nice, I've a friend with one of those, he won't sell it .

I got one of the more basic ones, got it from a fleas market ,as a non runner.

Broken winding wheels, I managed to repair it eventually.

It turns out it came out of a hurricane aircraft, I made a stand for it and now it sits on the side in the spare room.

Pictures if any wants me to try posting them.

• Like 1

Well , I'm not happy about the screws as there new cross head screws awfull, I will get around to making up a piece to cover the screw holes and a clip to finish them off.

No doubt broken when it was removed from the plane.

The holderi made by simply slotting the angled piece of wood into the lower part and simply glueing it in.

I made a larger stand for a smiths bulk head clock, it was my second effort turned out much better.

Just a thought but if you wanted to you could fill the cross groves of the screw heads with solder and then paint over the top of them.  If not solder, then common epoxy filler will do the job.  To paint the ends just go and buy a black paint marker from a stationery shop.

Edited by stroppy

• 2 weeks later...