Full Plate Movements And Pivot-Jewel Fitting

Edmund

Dear friends,

What is the correct method for fitting all pivots in all jewels in a full plate or 3/4 movement like the one below, a Phenix from 1908.

Sadly for it, some pivots and jewels were badly damaged as I was unable to align them properly during re-assembly.

Although it is too late for this Phenix, your comments may help to prevent a similar 'disaster'.

Many thanks.

post-1450-0-89943700-1448201352_thumb.jp

Edited by Edmund

Hi Edmund,

I know exactly how you feel and I emphasize wholeheartedly.

Now do not despair, Bergeon has developed a tool just last year. It is a special, very rare and specialized tool to do exactly that and the good news is they are selling it cheap contrary to their normal price list policy: it is only $2000.00 and a waiting list of 6 month, special order! Now you must hurry since the Swiss embargo might just make it impossible to source after December and you may be forced to buy a same exact Chinese copy for $0.99 on ebay! Just kidding! :)

Honestly, my recipe is patience and more patience, be gently and don't force anything. Try often the wheels involved for free running until everything feels good. Those bridges could be a bear to put back...luckily a gentle bear...not like some mainsprings by hand. In any case, I welcome you to our site -- I haven't done that before -- and hope another member has a better system to do what you ask.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I'm really not aware of any tool that allows you to do what you want, really. The Bergeon thing is simply making fun of their stuff...those in the know realize what I mean! :)

Make a miniature version of a clock pivot aligning tool by heating the tip of an old oiler and bending it to look like this.

post-124-0-24736300-1448208004_thumb.jpe

This will allow you to push and pull pivots while very gently applying downward pressure to the plate.

• Like 1

Make a miniature version of a clock pivot aligning tool by heating the tip of an old oiler and bending it to look like this.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This will allow you to push and pull pivots while very gently applying downward pressure to the plate.

This is the kind of tool I was missing. Stupid me...  :pulling-hair-out:

Patience, patience, patience, patience, patience, patience, swearing, tantrum, more swearing, referring to Roger Mellie's Profanisaurus (now available as an app by the way), outrageously insane swearing, mental breakdown, therapy, patience, patience, patience, patience, patience etc..........

Works for me every time.

• Like 3