Waltham Pocket Watch

Hello, a friend has asked me to look at his Waltham Traveler pocket watch because its timekeeping is erratic. Results on the Chrono confirmed it was very dependant on position. I gave it a clean and repeated with similar results.

With the regulator set to zero, dial up or down  gives about 300s/d fast, amplitude 225, beat 1.6 ms. With the watch vertical all positions of the pendant(P) give about 500s/day slow, amp. 200, beat error 4.3(PU)-1.8(PD).

Generally the pivots and jewels look fair, the train runs very freely after clean and lubrication. The watch was better out of its case with the hands removed, the vertical position was still slow but only 200s/d slower than dial up or down.

Any advice where to go next?

Hi Harrison,

One thought comes to mind: end shakes. It seems it is worn at the pivot points (or holes out of round if you will) but I could be mistaken. I hope someone with more experience in those type of watches will join soon.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob, I just listened to the watch (instead of the synthesised sound from the Chronograph). When its horizontal dial up or down it has a tick and a ringing note, when vertical the sound is muddy with lots of odd noises, so worn pivots, worn jewels are possible.  Presumably removing the two screw on the balance cock and the base plate will free the jewels.Are jewels available? I have attached a photospost-1266-0-31037200-1447781305_thumb.jppost-1266-0-48011500-1447781595_thumb.jp

Hi Harrison. Looking at your pictures, the centre wheel bush is definitely oval and needing replaced. There is a good chance some of the others are worn to a lesser degree. If you look at Mark's videos you will see what is involved in replacing them. New jewels can be purchased fron Cousins UK.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9fMTNuxDXmU

Hopefully so, Harrison. Just as Geo said, jewels may be available but you need to measure them and make sure the pivots fit properly in the new jewel holes. Check out Mark's videos.

There is a gauge for that so you can order the right jewel(s). Also, you will need a jeweling tool. They are sometimes found on ebay in different state of use with more or less useable stakes and stumps...make sure they are, what, 4mm I think?, I'm not sure right now but the stake diameter makes a difference so you can order/complete the set using standard bergeon ones. They are usually available from cousinsUK and ofrei.

Hope it all pans out to your satisfaction,

Cheers,

Bob

Well, here's a suprise. I held a small compass over the watch and got a big movement, holding it over the balance wheel the compass started to oscillate with the balance! I guess I'll have to sort that out first,

thanks for help and suggestions so far,