Timegraph Doubt

danizzz

Hi all,

mmm, an irregular beast...maybe activia yogurt will fix it but being Asian I'm sure is a dragon and they may not like yogurt...sorry I couldn't resist!  :D

More seriously, end shake, probably from non existent lubrication or even too much lubrication and/or debris from a non clean room when assembly (accelerated wear, etc) may be the cause. I totally agree with jdm about servicing!

Cheers,

Bob

When using a timing machine to diagnose watch problems there is several things you have to remember. For incoming watches the timing machine may possibly give you a clue as to what the problem is or it may give you incorrect information. Timing machine relies upon listening to the sound of the ticking watch. It has to pick up the signal clear and cleanly to display all the things correctly and do all the calculations like for amplitude. So for incoming watches that are need servicing just have to accept that the results will be different and you can’t rely 100% on exact diagnostics.

Then if you are doing diagnostics with a timing machine you should do it correctly and time in more than one position. So dial-up, dial down at least one pendant/crown position preferably four positions. This way can pickup bad pivots on both ends of the balance wheel not just one and other things can show up in the pendant positions.

So when I look at your timing machine results the amplitude seems extremely outstanding the waveform does not. So I suspect visually when you look at the balance wheel amplitude it’s going to match the waveform specifically it’s going to look really bad. Your first picture interesting in that you appear to have a repeatable pattern? Some faults in a watch will repeat themselves if you can determine the rate at which it repeats you can figure out where it is. This is sometimes an issue with the modern liquid crystal display as we don’t have enough room to look for patterns. This is where timing machines that used paper tape beat out liquid crystal displays as they have a infinite length display. But some modern timing machines will do a different kind of the time plot that will also let you look for things like this.

• Like 2