Cut The Stem

danizzz

Hi guys need your help again!

I have to change the stem on a screw down kind of watch (submariner type).

Now I have the new stem that it's longer than the original and I have to cut it.

How to do it in a very precisely manner on this kind of watch?

Do you use glue to screw the crow on the stem or just screw it?

Which kind of glue is the best for this operation?

Ty

Hi guys need your help again!

I have to change the stem on a screw down kind of watch (submariner type).

Now I have the new stem that it's longer than the original and I have to cut it.

How to do it in a very precisely manner on this kind of watch?

Do you use glue to screw the crow on the stem or just screw it?

Which kind of glue is the best for this operation?

Check this from Mark our forum owner.

• Thanks 1

Could be a little trickier to find the right length with a screwed down crown . 

I did one the other day and is the same as regular crown one.

1. Measure how much of the stem the crown takes in.

2. Fit stem and mark it at the pendant tube edge.

3 Add length from .1. and cut there. 

• Like 1

I meant to post this a while ago.

FOR SCREW DOWN CROWNS.

A) Screw down the crown tightly onto the case without the stem and measure the distance between the bottom of the crown and the case.

B ) Screw the new stem tightly into the crown, then insert into the watch until it engages and locks into the movement.

C) Press the crown down firmly as far as it will go and hold it there.

D) Using the vernier callipers, measure the distance between the bottom of the crown and the case.

E) Subtract the size determined in (D) from the size measured in (A) then subtract a further 0.15mm from this size. This is the amount to shorten the stem by. This should allow the crown to screw full home without compressing the stem too tightly between the movement and the inside of the crown.

F) Cut the stem leaving it slightly longer than the size determined in (E), and dress down to size using the diamond lap and vernier callipers as described in the original post.

G) Screw the crown onto the shortened stem and check fit and function, before using a tiny spot of Loctite to secure.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I am confused but I think, perhaps this may not be correct.

First, to keep all length as positive numbers, the size measured in (A) needs to be subtracted from size determined in (D), not vice versa.

The stem also needs to end up being shorter so it will not bottom when the crown is screwed down. That additional space of 0.15mm has to be ADDED to the result of  (D) - (A), thus increasing the amount to shorten the stem by.

So, the formula should be: Length-to-be-cut = (D) - (A) + 0.15mm

1 hour ago, vinn3 said:

basic math if you remember.  the stem cutting and thread shaping requires some thought.   i do not glue crown to stem,  just set it "tight".   vin

After having more than one crown come off and get lost, and the one on my dad's Rolex that comes off in my hand when I set hands backwards, I use a drop of lock-tite. I am able to get the crown off when I need to, but it doesn't come off from the backwards setting. But if tightening works, all the better. My dad's watch was serviced by a pro, so I was surprised that it came off so easily. FWIW. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Is this type " submariner" a front loader?  If the back is removable, fitting is easier the one piece stems.

3 1/2 yrs old posting, we never heard from the OP anymore.

• Like 1