Roamerofold

Validating Screwdriver Quality

Hi Roamerofold,

Looks like they're French, '' Brevet '' means licence in French & '' mod dep ''  ( modele depose ) means ''registered design'' or ''registered trade mark'', quality probably ok !  ,  hope this helps.

Phil.

Hi Roamerofold,

Looks like they're French, '' Brevet '' means licence in French & '' mod dep '' ( modele depose ) means ''registered design'' or ''registered trade mark'', quality probably ok ! , hope this helps.

Phil.

I had pretty well researched that

but the question is would these be genuine FAVORITE

post-1485-0-58226200-1446591582_thumb.jp

I occasionally see these Favorite screwdriver sets on sale here in CH. They are offered as 'professional quality' are all original and sell for a good price. Yours looks just the same with the French Swiss marks.

I occasionally see these Favorite screwdriver sets on sale here in CH. They are offered as 'professional quality' are all original and sell for a good price. Yours looks just the same with the French Swiss marks.

brevet +?

Does the + symbolise Swiss

Does it really matter whether or not they are genuine Favourite.

For a long time I used a cheapish  set marked A*F which have served me well.

When a watchmaker friend sold up he let me have a Bergeon set and as far as I can tell, apart from the knob being a little smoother, there isn't a lot of difference. You need to be using them all day on a professional basis to really say you can distinguish differences.

Another point is that I think the really important thing is the quality of the blades. If the ones you have turn out to have faults then just buy new blades and if you want supposed really top quality then buy Bergeon ones but I'm sure it will be a long time before you can tell the difference. 

It's a known fact that we all get carried away with acquiring tools and we strive for the best but it"s been pointed out many times that "the best" i.e. Bergeon are ripping us of to a ridiculous extent.

You have a box marked " Favourite " who's going to fake that ?  Accept them for what they are. Use them to repair some watches and be happy. Stop worrying about brand names, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is how well you repair watches.

Does it really matter whether or not they are genuine Favourite.

For a long time I used a cheapish  set marked A*F which have served me well.

When a watchmaker friend sold up he let me have a Bergeon set and as far as I can tell, apart from the knob being a little smoother, there isn't a lot of difference. You need to be using them all day on a professional basis to really say you can distinguish differences.

Another point is that I think the really important thing is the quality of the blades. If the ones you have turn out to have faults then just buy new blades and if you want supposed really top quality then buy Bergeon ones but I'm sure it will be a long time before you can tell the difference. 

It's a known fact that we all get carried away with acquiring tools and we strive for the best but it"s been pointed out many times that "the best" i.e. Bergeon are ripping us of to a ridiculous extent.

You have a box marked " Favourite " who's going to fake that ?  Accept them for what they are. Use them to repair some watches and be happy. Stop worrying about brand names, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is how well you repair watches.

Just took the words right out of my keyboard. Its all about the blades.

Good blades are the most important . I bought some blades from Germany . They are really nice . I acctually think they are better then Bergeon . I shall see if i find them . 

Ebay number 291325587494
Edited by rogart63

I'm the other extreme. i purchased a Chinese set that look like Bergeon, I have used them for four years now and only dressed them once. That was only because I made a jig for sharpening them. They have never bent or chipped in all the time I have had them, and all for £5.29 delivered.

The proof of the pudding is long term use!

But you are all missing the point. The final mark of quality is that the blades should be dressed with the Horotec or Bergeon twin roller sharpener that produces parallel faces at the blade end. $$$$$

It does make a lovely job Colin, but not required unless you just have to have hollow ground blades.

As others have said, it's the quality of the blades that's the most important factor.

However, I decided to treat myself to a recent birthday present with a set of VOH screwdrivers, they are an absolute pleasure to use (and have a nicer feel than any Bergeon, Horotec or AF that I've used).

post-1141-0-93290200-1446762517_thumb.jp

But I also use various other screwdrivers where one of the VOHs isn't suitable, these are mostly tailored and dressed for individual tasks, here are about half of them  :biggrin:

And also as others have said, shaping and finishing the blades is critical to maintaining good tools and reducing the risk of damage to scres and other delicate bits. 

post-1141-0-25424600-1446762709_thumb.jp

Edited by JimInOz